UMB vs 13" MBP Screen? ADDED PHOTOS OF SCREEN

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ikos, Jun 10, 2009.

1. ikos macrumors regular

My 2.4GHz UMB has a pretty good looking screen, at least i think it looks pretty good. its the 9CA8 model.

wonder how it looks compared to the new MBP?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

You're lucky, you have one of the updated UMB screens from the May production run of the machines.

You don't know what our 9C89 and 9C8C screens look like :p

The 9F5A (I think in the new 13" UMBP) is supposed to be even better in contrast, but may suffer from the vertical striping that plagues some Macbook Air computers.

3. andymodem macrumors 6502a

I got the 13" UMB from Best Buy on Saturday and mine came with the 9CA8 screen and I think it looks beautiful.

4. chucktown macrumors newbie

I have the 9C89 and can't tell anything is wrong with it unless I turn off all the lights and look at an all black screen...Is everyone complaining about the older UMB screens a graphic designer or something? I understand if your job is looking at graphics all day but to the regular consumer I cant see how it makes that much difference

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

It took me ~5 tries at calibration to get my 9C89 screen to look how I like. I ended up having to use SuperCal to get the wash-out to go away and get nice blacks. The built-in calibration tool always left washed out colors, which SuperCal also fixed.

Sure, it took a long time with SuperCal, but it's worth it.

6. chucktown macrumors newbie

I wouldn't even begin to know how to calibrate my screen...should i download one of the pre-made profiles?

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The instructions are built into the calibration program....just adjust the "apple" so the colors match the striped background. In normal mode, it's a single adjustment which will give you an "okay" at best calibration. In "advanced" mode you do two adjustments per step, one for brightness/contrast and the other for color hue at that level of brightness.

As for a pre-made one, you'd want to let us know what screen model it is that you currently have.

8. g3funk macrumors member

g3funk

Hey man, you mind posting your 9c89 Supercal setting? I have a 9c89 panel and really could use to get the washed out ness out of it.

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Somebody else asked for this as well.

When I get home this evening I'll upload a couple profiles and give you a link. Just FYI, it's 1.8 gamma. I think I'll remake them in 2.2 if I have the time and see how those look as well.

Send me a PM as a reminder if you get this before I get the links up.

10. Zadiek macrumors member

I just got the new 13 inch Macbook Pro last night. I also have the the original aluminum Macbook(Oct release), and a white Macbook. The difference in quality is pretty amazing. The new Macbook Pro screen is a lot better than the original aluminum Macbook and Whitebook. It is very bright and the blacks look great. The aluminum Macbook has a much brighter screen than the Whitebook's but the blacks are better on the Whitebook. I took a picture to compare the 3. I will post it sometime tonight if anybody is interested.

11. Apple all life macrumors 6502

I got 9c8b but I really want a new screen, does anyone know if apple replaces them for being washed out?

12. Zadiek macrumors member

Unfortunately, no. You are out of luck there buddy...sorry. You can always try, but don't expect it to work.

13. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

youssefm made a thread where he got the genius to authorize the replacement based on un-uniform lighting. He's going to report back when he gets the unit back as to if it has a different panel or they just replaced it with another of the same.

14. Zadiek macrumors member

Yeah, I read that. I would be really surprised if they actually replaced it. I think a lot of your luck comes down to what Apple Store you go to and who you happen to talk to. Even if does get it replaced(which would be great) I just don't see many Apple Stores being this nice.

15. Apple all life macrumors 6502

I can walk to an apple store near me so I will go over soon and see if they will replace it.

16. ikos thread starter macrumors regular

Attached Files:

17. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

There you go. The colors are a little saturated, but I'd rather have that than washout. If I need to edit photos I'll use a different profile I suppose. SCM2.2= 2.2 gamma, SCM2.18=1.8 gamma. I prefer the 1.8 version just because 2.2 is too dark for some websites that use dark backgrounds and whatnot.

Attached Files:

18. egk69 macrumors 6502

were do i go to check what screen do i have???

and what are the good screen numbers?

thanks

19. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

System Prefereces-->Display-->Color--> Pick a profile that came with the computer--->goto field 13, the screen will be listed as 00009xxx

9C89 and 9C8C are the launch screens, okay at best if calbrated. 9CA5/6/7/8 are the replacement ones from 3/09-5/09 it seems with 5/7/8 being similar and a couple people have mentioned 6 isn't so hot. The 13" MBP has 9CA0, 9CA1, 9CBD, and 9C9F. All are pretty slick it seems.

Really though, it doesn't matter what you have so long as you're happy with it ;)

20. egk69 macrumors 6502

ok, it sais i have a 9CA5, thats the good one?

another Q, sorry that is offtopic
    -how do i check the built date, or the day my macbook was sold? or make?, i dont know, i buy it from Ebay, it is supposed to be make on may (the guy told me i have warranty till may 12, or something like that...

21. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

I've seen 9CA8 mentioned but i have a 9C8A... how is this one? Is it a newer one?

22. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I think that might be an older one, not sure though. When did you buy yours? The newer panels went in around mid-March/April I think.

23. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

24. hamzab macrumors 6502

I have the launch screens on the MacBook, my cousin just got the same MacBiok a month ago and apart from slightly higher contrast there isn't really much diff at all..... Is this normal or should the newer screen be trumping my screen?

25. shoppy macrumors 6502a

The new 13"MBp screens are much better then any of the updated macbook screens. I had two updated screens in my 2.4/2.0UMB. But these new 13"MBP screens blow these out of the water. I think it is even better then my 15" UMBP screen. Or it could be be imagining it.