uMBP 17 (new) mini displayport to vga monitor problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BinfordsTool, Jun 25, 2009.

1. BinfordsTool macrumors member

So I've had my lovely mac for about 4 days now, I am truely smitten with it, but there is one thing thats irking me. I hooked up a monoprice mini displayport to vga adapter to my mbp and ran in into an old dell monitor I had.

1. At first everything worked fine, both in Windows and OSx, no complaints.
    2. Once it went into sleep mode, the display didn't wake up, after some fiddling, it was back. Fiddling was basically removing usb and the mini display port a bunch of times with a couple shutdown cycles thrown in for good measure
    3. It happened for a longer period of time last night, but was fixed again by fiddling
    4. Today, nothing.

Any ideas? Its not detecting the monitor at all, however the dell monitor doesn't say no signal- it is simply powered off. THis monitor normally works fine. i've had it working with both graphics cards running and not working with both cards as well, so I don't believe its that. I have a hard time believing its all software too, but also because this monitor works on the dell computer at my feet no problem, I don't think it's all hardware (unless my adapter is bad...)

Suggestions are appreciated!

2. BinfordsTool thread starter macrumors member

K... just now I fixed it by pulling out the adapter, unplugging the vga cord from it, plugging in the adapter first, then plugging the cord into the adapter... but I think this is just another fiddle success... any ideas as to whats going on, I'm all ears!