UMBP 9600M GT w/24" ACD, is there enough under the hood.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by toyotaoffroadca, Mar 30, 2009.

1. toyotaoffroadca macrumors newbie

Will the UMBP have enough power to drive games on the 24" ACD at full native resolution at decent settings. Right now I am running WoW at full res on my 15" UMBP at max settings with very minimal tearing if any. I would like to get a 24" ACD and be able to run WoW in windowed mode with the UMBP as a second display for viewing maps and such.

Anyone out there testing this setup and have anything good to say about it?

Thanks in advance.

2. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

Considering the same 9600 is driving the 17" laptop's 1920x1200 rez I would say yes, it will handle it and probably more.

3. Hydroxs macrumors regular

It depends on the game

4. whitefang macrumors 6502

When you get your ACD, power it up (don't connect anything). It should automatically be in sleep mode.

Now, listen to the lower left corner of the ACD. You should hear 2 types of noises. One is a loud annoying electronic resonance noise, the other is a another resonance ticking noise.

When you connect your macbook pro and boot it up, the monitor should wake up and stop making that noise. However, everytime your monitor goes to sleep (it goes to sleep when your macbook goes to sleep or nothing is connected), the monitor will make those electronic resonance noise.

The third type of noise occurs when you connect your ACD charger to the macbook pro.

All 3 noises indicate a bad design flaw.

5. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Theres enough power on the 9600m gt card to run the 24" LED ACD blazingly fast.

I'm currently running my mac mini with the 9400m gt card via the 24" LED ACD and it seems to do it just adequately but the 9600m gt card (I've tried it with the 15" mbp) drives the 24" fast.

6. whitefang macrumors 6502

Depends on the games. Crysis won't even run at native res on a 9600-M GT. Remember, the mobile version is much more slower than a desktop version.

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

he said WoW. thats short for World of Warcraft. so that's the game.

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Didnt catch the game part. Yes the 9600m GT card is more than enough to drive the 24" LED ACD when it comes to gaming especially in WOW which isnt that demanding.