uMBP, Does Laser Etching the Outside of the Lid Void the Warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by puma1552, Jul 27, 2009.

1. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I heard it does but I didn't understand why until someone told me it was because the top case had to be removed to do the etching.
    I guess you could try to do it without removing the top case, but try to convince some apple nut that you didn't tear apart the case to get the etching.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Why don't you call Apple and quickly ask? It's better than all of our guess here. I don't see why it would void the warranty, as long as it isn't disassembled.

3. adamk77 macrumors 6502

I don't think you'll get a reliable answer. Some people say no, some people have called Apple and the representative didn't know, and some representatives have said it will void the warranty. Which leads me to believe that it's more trouble than it's worth to me. I simply hate the hassle.

4. mark2288 macrumors regular

While certainly not helpful to the OP's question, I found his post humorous and refreshing.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Personally I don't think it should void the warranty because that's like saying scratching the top of your lid voids the warranty which it doesn't. Just my 2¢

6. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

I'm with alphaod on this one.

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Yeah but if he has display issues, like backlight issues or a borked LCD with weird lines going through it, even if its a legitimate issue that has nothing to do with the etching AAPL could say it was because of it.

I always thought etching, while cool, was reserved for an after warranty sort of thing.

Thats why I keep my stuff looking brand new. If something breaks down they have not a leg to stand on as far as abuse is concerned.

8. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

its kind of useless asking warranty questions here. Youll never get a straight answer.

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I was curious on this one so I called and asked apple. I was told providing the warranty claim wasn't for the screen they wouldn't have an issue.