UMBP Whirring - 4 weeks with my 1st mac & I need to visit a genius. Grrr.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mcmac17, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Mcmac17 macrumors member

2 days ago my umpb started making a whirring noise. Kind of like an engine ticking over. It's not very loud - but noticeable in the quiet environment where I work. It definitely wasn't doing this before. I haven't dropped/bashed or abused it in any way. I don't think it's the fans as they make a much smoother sound (and the noise occurs even when they are idling at 2k). Apple care got me to reset (it made no difference) & they reckon it might be the HD.

I really didn't expect to make my first trip to see a genius within the month. It's probably not a good sign that the first appointment I can get is in 3 days' time. Does that mean they are so busy because they are booked solid for mpb repairs!

Sigh, it probably serves me right for feeling smug that I didn't get any dead pixels/scratched case/98'bad' screen/graphics issues/dust particles...

Anyone else have this?

2.66 4gb 7200 model

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

why on earth would it be the HD?? that just seems odd to me.

what type of work do you do??

does the whirring occur when on battery, power, or both?

do you play games?

do you run XP/Vista?

what % of CPU are you using? (test this by checking out "Activity Monitor" - spotlight it)

3. Mcmac17 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply - to answer your questions:

It happens on both battery and power.

I'm not exactly hammering it - generally it's running itunes, thunderbird, a few firefox windows, pages, numbers, some mind-mapping software (and sometimes mpeg streamclip is converting files while I'm working - I know that is a quite intensive). No games.

I'm not running windows as I was trying to make a clean switch to mac :)

The CPU is running at 11% user/13% system/ just now (it is copying >100gb to an external hard drive in anticipation of a hard drive switch...) It runs much higher when streamclip is running.

The noise isn't very loud - but it is definitely noticeable when there is no ambient noise. I frequently run presentations in small meetings (with 1 client across the desk) so it would be noticeable IMO. Also, I don't generally play music whilst I study so it annoys me then. Because it has only just started making the noise I wondered if it meant it was going to get worse?

And I do know that am over-specced for what I do, but I wanted the battery life/screen size/better future-proofing from buying at the top of the range :)

4. Mcmac17 thread starter macrumors member

Faulty fans on umbp

Just back from the Apple shop. Genius told me it is the fans that are failing. The lovely man wrote it up so I could get a replacement and not just a repair (seen as it was only just over the 28 days). He was pretty upset they had insisted I took it into the shop in the first place instead of doing a straight replacement. Anyway, 5 weeks after getting my first ever mac, it looks like I'll be getting my 2nd one shortly :)

FWIW I asked if they'd had any other 17" mpbs in for repairs and he said mine was the first one he'd seen.