UN Climate Conference Delegates want to ban... H2O?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by fivepoint, Dec 16, 2010.

1. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzZ_Zcp4PwY
    Hilarious! What's next... ban the gas we all expel after each breath!?! Oh, wait.

2. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

It is well-known that many people will sign almost any petition, avoiding a confrontation, and knowing that the petition will go nowhere. If you asked people to sign a petition to free Charles Manson a bunch would sign just to get away from you! This is meaningless.

BTW, did the people know they were being filmed? Some of the shots looked like they were from chest high (or a short photographer).

3. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Oh No! Someone fell for an ambush hoax without having a chance to review any supporting documents! Clearly they shouldn't be trusted to make good decisions!

I know a lot of very smart doctors, lawyers, engineers, and professors who have fallen for practical jokes. That doesn't mean they don't know what they are doing in their profession.

I do have to admit it was funny.

4. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

The dihydrogen monoxide gag is almost as old as the internet itself. Actually they now serve as a reminder of how the truth can be misrepresented, twisted and obscured to cause fear and irrational panic... some here seem to be students of sites like http://www.dhmo.org/

:rolleyes:

5. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I think it's a funny gag and really does show how silly people can be, especially the people who are hard core climate change supporters.

That being said, it seems to be a big leap to suggest that just because someone fell for a hoax that they aren't capable of making good decisions in the field.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Conservatives intentionally trying to confuse the public on climate change?

Yeah... We've seen that one... many, many times. :rolleyes:

7. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

We managed to confuse some people who were too clueless to understand what we said or too indifferent to care.

Conclusion: Carbon dioxide does not cause climate change.

It all makes sense now. Thanks.

8. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Was this some more shenanigans from the Heritage Foundation?

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

That was my first thought too. Methinks the right is running out of steam if their only weapon is attempted comedy.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't understand why being an environmentalist, or a politician requires a knowledge of water's chemical makeup...

11. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Did you really just say that?

"I dont understand why being a race car designer requires knowledge of a bearings structural design..."
    "I dont understand why being a chef requires knowledge of a vinaigrettes taste properties"
    "I dont understand why being a digital photographer requires knowledge of using a modern day computer OS"

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

These weren't climate scientists.

An accurate comparison is that it doesn't take a race car engineer to be a fan of NASCAR.

13. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Environmentalists. So what is that, someone who is a "fan" of the environment?

Because last time I checked, the NASCAR fans were not hooting and hollering at the GOVT to raise gas taxes on their nascars, or whatever.

Clear distinction.

"Environmentalists" want to change laws, impose taxes and carbon credits, etc. If they think they know so much about it as to change my and my neighbors lifestyle, they darn well better know what dihydrogen monoxide is. Otherwise, they are just mindlessly following a cultural phenomenon so to speak.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

So you require that anybody with a desire to preserve the environment understand chemistry?

That's cool.

Do you require right-to-lifers to know anatomy? Do you think if a right-to-lifer can't identify specific cell-types that they lose their right to try to change laws as well?

15. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I would require them to know a very basic, very fundamental level of anatomy. Such as, lets say, knowing that your "Bicep" is, in fact, the muscle on top of your humerus as opposed to a "deadly form of cancer" or a "virus" or something.

So, yes. Anything else?

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Does the OP really think that limiting carbon emissions is a bad thing?

Oh, forgot who the op is.... carry on

17. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

The point is that its intentional deception. There's no reason a person desiring a rational conversation would refer to a commonly known substance by its obscure chemical formula, particularly when said substance is as common as water. Many of those asked probably even considered the formula but just figured they misheard.

That's like me saying someone can't add or multiply because I gave them an equation to solve with the operands in reverse polish notation.

18. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I do agree with you there. These "gotcha" things are to be taken with a heaping, overflowing mountain of salt.

I do have a much greater issue with the first section of the video, where they get signatures proposing a "destabilization of the US economy and a 6% drop in GDP" with no reasoning whatsoever, and people gleefully sign on.

19. citizenzen, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010

citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's like me attending a right-to-life conference with a petition asking people to save the millions of squamous cells that are destroyed every year. Do you think that if I attended such a conference with a video camera that I couldn't record numerous people fooled by my effort?

Does that really say anything about their cause or the people involved in it?

20. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

It's about forcing them to adopt the Kyoto protocol. I know this example is extreme, but we have forced sanctions on other nations who don't abide by what we say. Why is it so surprising that others may do the same to us?

21. takao macrumors 68040

takao

you know what is hilarious ? H20 (in gas form in the athmosphere) is actually the worst greenhouse gas:
    the IPCC attributes 40-70% of the greenhouse effect to H20

thats the whole point of a run-away system

higher temperature -> more water vapor -> more H20 in upper atmosphere -> increased greenhouse effect -> higher temperature -> more water vapor ... a vicious cycle
    reducing water vapor emissions might actually proove to be essential

laughing about a scientific fact doesn't make you look smart by the way

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Yup... just like people are over 75% H2O.

It's amazing what can happen when you mix water with a few other ingredients.

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Ugly, you bet, but with our new atomic weight, I wonder what our minerals are worth, in today's market?

24. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

You mean like telling people to cut back on their energy usage and then building a mega mansion while trippling your energy usage yourself.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/GlobalWarming/t/story?id=2906888&page=1

25. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

That's called hypocrisy. Different can of worms. The wealthy, in general, are large energy usage abusers. Mansions, private jets, etc.