(un)Confirmed: SMS is slow to load with 1.1.1. [POSSIBLE FIX]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Oct 4, 2007.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

With 1.1.1, every time I tapped the SMS icon to open the last conversation, I would get a blank chat and have to wait 3-5 seconds for the chat to appear. I thought maybe it was because there were a lot of messages, so I cleared them. But sure enough, the next SMS I got, there was the same long delay in seeing it after tapping the icon.

This was driving me nuts. I was getting similar lag by tapping the bookmarks icon in Safari...about 2 seconds before the bookmarks would appear if a page was loading.

So I decided to go back to 1.02. I haven't tested the bookmarks yet, but I can confirm that SMS is back to being very snappy to open. I have a feeling that this tiny annoyance will not likely get addressed in the next update.

2. thestaton macrumors 6502

3. ForeverUnknown macrumors regular

Hmm I thought it was because my conversation was getting VERY long. Disappointing to know that it's 1.1.1 causing the problem.

4. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Odd I don't seem to have either of these problems...

5. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

me neither, but hey it was confirmed so we must be mistaken.

6. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

7. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

It is probably slower now because all messages are going through Apple to be reviewed and to deem them worthy. They want to control this as well as everything else.:rolleyes:

8. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Unconfirmed on my iPhone. Since the update it seems my iPhone is running better than ever. Very snappy and clean.

9. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

The same applies for me

10. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

My bookmarks are very snappy, and so is everything else EXCEPT loading SMS. Thats ok, im sure it will be fixed and in the mean time its not a HUGE deal.

11. avalys macrumors 6502

Since when can you go back to 1.0.2?

EDIT: Never mind, apparently you can. Haven't been following this that closely...

12. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

heh. ok sorry, should have said confirmed for ME. :)

Makes me wonder though, why some people are experiencing lag and not others.

13. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Confirmed over here. iDay adopter with 3rd party apps on 1.0.2 and now with 1.1.1 have a 3-5 second delay despite deleting all SMS convo's.

1.1.1 is proving to be very disappointing!

14. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I wouldn't go that far. SMS is the only delay i have. Every other program is snappier to open up. Everything responds better, i love the new features. I very much like the 1.1.1 update, and im sure the SMS bug will be fixed.

15. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

The very reason why Apple don't want "unauthorized" 3rd party apps installed on the iPhone. Perhaps some 3rd party apps you've installed had corrupted some files in the OS and the 1.1.1 update relied on those files.

The people I know with iPhones (as is - no unlock or 3rd party apps) are experiencing faster and all-around better performance from the device. So don't blame Apple.

16. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

The headline of your post is very misleading. You should change it. Seems very unconfirmed by the posts you've been getting.

17. scriptkitten macrumors regular

scriptkitten

I am experiencing the same lag when opening SMS

18. weeman macrumors 6502

Interesting point. I had mine with 3rd party apps with 1.0.2 and am getting a similar lag. Everybody with the laggyness, did you guys have 3rd party apps on your phones?

19. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

I had 3rd party apps briefly, (not unlocked) but prior to installing 1.1.1 I did a full restore. I *assume* a restore would be sufficient to negate any incompatibilities.

I did however use iToner with iTunes 7.40 to install ringers, after installing 1.1.1. Hmm.

20. michaelsaxon macrumors 6502

Mine lags on SMS and it has been stock since day one.

21. SAMTATSICPRO macrumors regular

yeah, my SMS is acting up too, seem like it takes about 2 seconds to load.
    I press it and all I see is the baby blue background for about 2 seconds then i see my messages. Pretty slow.

22. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

mcdj

I would edit the title, remove (un)confirmed and turn it into a poll. It seems there are some who are and some who aren't.

I fall into the category of experiencing lag also. SMS is taking quite some time to load now and it is affecting my ability to communicate quickly with others.

23. osborda macrumors newbie

I'm experiencing the same thing to yet it seems to be more pronounced when I have a new SMS message to check and click on the SMS icon. When I have no new messages, it seems to respond normally.

My phone has no mods.

24. kevin86 macrumors member

25. philhyde macrumors member