Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Sure MWC 2013 is set to begin in just a week from now, but Samsung is out to ensure that delivers what should be the biggest news of the year. We had reported to you before that the world should expect a March 15th announcement date of the Next Big Thing— but we couldn’t provide any legitimacy to those dates because well you know— the supposed date is based off a rumor and all. Well it appears that those rumors weren’t so far-fetched as yet the gang at SamMobile and notorious info leaker Eldar Murtazin have confirmed that Sammy will not only showcase the Galaxy S IV on March 14th, but will also showcase the revolutionary device at what will be a TBD location out in America’s largest city.

Unfortunately, there are no further details of the March 14th announcement date for now, but we’ll be sure to keep our eyes and ears open for you all. Hopefully all you kids will be able to contain yourselves and be patient in the meantime.

http://www.talkandroid.com/151183-u...o-be-unveiled-on-march-14th-in-new-york-city/

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
More and more I read about the Galaxy S IV, sounds like the incremental upgrade like the iPhone4 to iPhone 4S. Rumors say it will still be shiny plastic round shape like the S III, have the three hardware buttons on the bottom, not on screen like a Nexus, and overall design look very similar to the current Galaxy S III. Except the big jump to a 4.99" 1080p screen and running a sightly updated 4.2 Jellybean with updated Touchwiz, and faster processor, etc...

I was hoping for a full new design, like Polycarbonate as the One X or something industrial design like the iPhone 5. I think the S3 looks and feels too cheap, and slippery. I hope not pentile screen again ?

Rumors point to the S5 in Spring 2014 as the MAJOR update.

Oh well, I can give two craps about the S IV, really waiting on the Nexus-Five, and the Goorola X, and Note III.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
You do realise the s3 is polycarbonate already right?

Sorry, I did not know that. I will say the white HTC One X, is hands down the best looking Android phone design to date. With a great screen as well. Would like to see more designs like that.

The S3 compared to One X, looks cheap and poorly designed.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Sorry, I did not know that. I will say the white HTC One X, is hands down the best looking Android phone design to date. With a great screen as well. Would like to see more designs like that.

It looks great brand new but the white one x even if you put them in your jeans it will go blue tinge. First impressions are that the s3 is poorly built but I have the note 2 and I assume the s3 is the same but the plastic is really scratch resistant. I got mine at the start of October and it still looks brand new. I admit when the s3 first came out in thought the same but not anymore after personal use .

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, why is the S3 such a hit? I personally love the size and look of the phone, yes it is very slippery but that's why i have a case on it......

I don't think it was poorly designed, it is just different than the precious "iphone" :)

20130218_162059 by Ceva321, on Flickr

20130218_162035 (1) by Ceva321, on Flickr

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
As a GS3 user, I can't wait for the GS4. I hope a 32gb or 64gb is easily to get in the US, cause finding it for the US version is rare, especially for the red color version I have.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
More and more I read about the Galaxy S IV, sounds like the incremental upgrade like the iPhone4 to iPhone 4S. Rumors say it will still be shiny plastic round shape like the S III, have the three hardware buttons on the bottom, not on screen like a Nexus, and overall design look very similar to the current Galaxy S III. Except the big jump to a 4.99" 1080p screen and running a sightly updated 4.2 Jellybean with updated Touchwiz, and faster processor, etc...

I was hoping for a full new design, like Polycarbonate as the One X or something industrial design like the iPhone 5. I think the S3 looks and feels too cheap, and slippery. I hope not pentile screen again ?

Oh well, I can give two craps about the S IV, really waiting on the Nexus-Five, and the Goorola X, and Note III.

Uh I think if Samsung increased the size of the display, increased resolution to 1080p, internals upgraded, that's more than a minor upgrade. The iPhone 4 to 4s is all internal. No bigger screen, or resolution upgrade.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Honestly, a minor 4 to 4S update is all Samsung needs. They've found something that works well and it's best that they stick with it as much as possible without going too stagnant.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Honestly, a minor 4 to 4S update is all Samsung needs. They've found something that works well and it's best that they stick with it as much as possible without going too stagnant.

I would agree with this. A spec bump, Android 4.2 and screen update would be all that is needed to keep it a top seller. To be honest there isn't much wrong with the s3 as it is now; it is only when compared spec for spec with the newest phones that it starts to look "old" but in day to day use, the S3 performs just fine and I am sure it can run and benefit from Android 4.2 as well.

While a lot of people complain about the screen, there are still tons and tons of reports of people and review that love it (self included); so it is not all that bad where it HAS to have an upgrade IMHO; but the iPhone screen is better, so to keep with Apple I would think they have no choice but to upgrade it, or at least recalibrate it.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Any chance of an IPS display?

IPS is not a good display tech very deep blacks or dark colors, and IPS screens and Apple are famous for light leakage. I can not stand that.

However, we can expect a different display tech altogether for the S4. It will be an AMOLED, but the pixel matrix and makeup will be nothing like we have seen before.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Honestly I hope the note 3 is 6.3". It could become my portable tablet at that point.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010

Except, the One X was an overall poor phone. Terrible battery life, no expandable memory, crappy Sense skin, neutered multi-tasking.

Samsung makes superior Android devices to HTC now. No competition.

I've owned them all. S2, S3, One X, Note 2, Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus. I keep coming back to the Sammy devices.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013

as always the galaxy S line will lead the pack for everyone else to follow,you do know that the gs3 is going to be the first cell on the planet to use cortex arms next generation true A15 cores right?that one thing alone is enough as there is not one single phone using next gen arch from ARM and the gs4 will be the first to use it and the soc will be made in house by Samsung.

What do you want the phone to look like?do you want Samsung to change the complete look of there phone?the reason its going to look similar to the other galaxy s phones is because its a galaxy S phone lol that like asking bmw or Mercedes to change there styling and hood emblems and make a fresh new look,samsung can do that with another name and will def stay loyal to the galaxy image it has become with its big home button and a button on each side of it.

so we have 1080p,true A15 arch,and maybe a stylus.I mean what else did you expect from the cell?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK

It's more than just a minor upgrade though. A bigger screen, better screen, better camera, possible wireless charging, non touch gestures..more than than the 4 to the 4S was.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I hate when people say the 4 to 4S was a minor upgrade. While it may not have physically looked different, the internals got a massive overhaul.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I hate when people say the 4 to 4S was a minor upgrade. While it may not have physically looked different, the internals got a massive overhaul.

Still wasn't enough to make people upgrade...basically siri, better chip and camera..least with the S4 the screen size, display,camera among other features are being added.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Still wasn't enough to make people upgrade...basically siri, better chip and camera..least with the S4 the screen size, display,camera among other features are being added.

...plus better GPU. A full upgrade minus the look

Have you used a 4 vs 4S lately? The difference is night and day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.