Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karelel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
Hello everybody! First post here ;)

I haven't been able to find a problem/solution like mine anywhere on the forums so I hope I can gain some assistance here. I am unable to access a Utilities menu, much less Disk Utility, during OSX installation of 10.11.1.

Upon reaching the osx installer, I select my language, come to a page that says:

"Install Mac OS X

To set up the installation of OS X, click Continue.

To repair your disk using Disk Utility... choose an option from the Utilities menu".

However, there are the superior menu where I see "Utilities" but I have no way to click or open it! Only can click the buttons Back and Continue. Clicking Continue takes me to the user agreement, then a page that says to select the disk on which to install where nothing is listed and the screen gets blocked.

Do I need to use any special keys to open the utilities menu ??

Background

I used to have a partition in the hard drive with Windows & Mac. As I didn't need anymore the Windows I decided to deleted it. I used bootcamp to restore it, and then utilites disk to get the full capacity of the disk in Mac. By accident I deleted all the partitions, the Mac included and that's why I think now It doens't appear when I want to install Mac OS X. So what I need to do is to go to the Utilities Disk and restore all of it again, but I don't know how to arrive to the menu. It's not clickable!

What I tried

I tried running fsck and it said "Disk appears to be okay".

If anyone can help I will appreciate a lot !!

My computer is:

MacBook Pro mid 2011

2.4GZ Intel Core i5

4 GB of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM

320 GB 5400-rpm hard drive

15.4-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display;

1440 by 900 pixels

Intel HD Graphics

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

The installation CD I'm using is the original from the computer.

karelel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
Hey Audit!
Do you mean to install de OS from the CD to a pendrive or something? What could check with this?
thanks

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yes, to a USB drive, pen or hard drive. If you are able to install to, and boot from, an external drive the internal sata drive cable could be defective.

If you have access to another Mac or windows machine, remove the problem drive, use the other machine to delete and recreate partitions on the problem drive, reinstall the problem drive, and try installation again.

karelel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
Thanks audit.

The problem here is that before to install the OS I need to restore the internal hard disk. During the process I have a pop-up that suggest me to extend the "Utilities" section of the top menu. Unluckly, the mouse seems disactivated and I cannot click there. Maybe it works if you can help me with the shortcut keys that I could use for expanding the Utilities menu

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
By restore, do you mean partition? If yes, then disk utility should do that. If the hard drive is bad or the internal cable is bad, they will have to be replaced.

Not sure what the proper shortcut keys would be. Does an external mouse work?

karelel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
By restore, do you mean partition? If yes, then disk utility should do that. If the hard drive is bad or the internal cable is bad, they will have to be replaced.

Not sure what the proper shortcut keys would be. Does an external mouse work?

Hey!! The mouse pad wasn't working as I'm used to, so the external mouse was key!
Thanks a lot Audit13 !!
With the external mouse, I was able to go to the Utilities Menu and restore the hard drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.