Unable to add artwork to AIFF audio files in iTunes 7.7.1! Please help!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fallinangel, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Fallinangel macrumors regular

Fallinangel

I'm not able to add any kind of artwork to AIFF audio files, since I updated iTunes to version 7.7.1!?

I really need to be able to add covers to my albums!!! I'm currently digitalizing my whole CD collection.
    This issue has put everything on hold, and I still have to import a whole lot of albums before my holiday is over! :mad:

As mentioned above, I currently use iTunes 7.7.1 to rip and "archive" my music. Furthermore, I keep my library "organized" and on my primary hard-drive. I import my albums with the built-in AIFF encoder, have the settings set to "Automatic" and error correction turned on.

Furthermore, it really used to work in previous iTunes versions! :confused:
    Apple has probably messed something up.

Is there a work around, or even fix for this bug???

Thanks.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Why would you import everything as aiff instead of apple lossless? AIFF is a ridiculously huge file format and it has the exact same sound quality as Apple Lossless, where as lossless is a much smaller file size.

Anyway, this is a known issue with iTunes, something to do with not being able to store metadata in AIFF files or something. Just convert your whole CD collection to apple lossless and you'll be good.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

mp3 format is probably the best, i've never had any trouble adding artwork on those.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

??? MP3 is a lossy format, obviously the OP wants a lossless library.

MP3 is worse than AAC at the same bit rate, so the files are the same size and AAC has better sound quality. Why on Earth would you suggest to use MP3?

5. Fallinangel thread starter macrumors regular

Fallinangel

As tuffluffjimmy has pointed out, I'm keeping my CDs in a lossless format because MP3s are lossy and worse quality!
    For example, if one of your CDs breaks or won't play anymore because of too many scratches, you won't be able to recreate the original sound with MP3s or AACs, but with lossless filetypes you can.

Still no suggestion for the artwork problem? :(

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I did make a great suggestion, convert your library to apple lossless, you won't lose any quality, you will have more hard drive space and you'll be able to add artwork.

7. wightstraker macrumors regular

Apple lossless and AAC are both proprietary formats. Not everyone wants their music collection tethered to Apple, Inc.

I use LAME mp3.

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Then you can convert them back to AIFF if you want to move them somewhere else.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Perhaps the permission somehow changed? Go into your iTunes library folder and set everything to read and write, and apply to all items within.

AIFF is universal and faster to burn. Been doing AIFF before Apple Lossless came out.

WRONG. It's not proprietary.

AAC is MP4, over 10 years more advanced form of Mp3. Note you require a license to make an app with mp3 encoding capabilities.

10. wightstraker macrumors regular

I stand corrected. MP3 does remain a more widely interoperable format, however.

iTunes doesn't offer .ogg encoding, so you're stuck with licensed codecs whether you use AAC or MP3.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

mp3 is more wide-spread. and it's universal. why do you think the term "mp3 players" were coined? I can't play Apple lossless or AAC or any apple encoded audio files on anything besides itunes. mp3 is more common. and more people have heard of that due to that term mp3 player rather than apple lossless player or aac player. im not bashing any particular format, just saying mp3 is more popular and diverse.

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

AAC isn't an apple codec, it's as standard and 'open' as MP3. MP3 is a lossy codec so it isn't even an option. Stop bringing it up.

14. Brightst macrumors newbie

Same problem

I, too, have the same issue adding artwork to AIFF files, and only since upgrading to iTunes 7.7.1. Never was an issue before. And if I convert the imported files to 320kbs AAC files for iPod playback, the artwork can be added with no issues.

Obviously a bug in 7.7.1, have sent a note to Apple, but who knows, they're probably bogged down with iPhone 3G issues.

As for AIFF vs Apple Lossless files, I use AIFF only because this seems to be the format that the original CDs use... the files are big, but can iTunes playback FLAC files with no issues?

15. SmartIndianKid macrumors regular

SmartIndianKid

iTunes doesn't really do FLAC. Your choices are really limited to

Lossy:
    MP3
    MP4

Lossless:
    WAV
    AIFF
    Apple Lossless