Unable to connect my old Mac hard drive (as external HD) to new Mavericks mac

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by hopper8, Jun 13, 2014.

1. hopper8 macrumors newbie

A while ago I spilled water to my Mac with OS X Lion. Apple support checked it and told me that the Mac died but they told me that the hardrive with the data was saved. I now got a new Mac with OS X Mavericks and I’m trying to connect my old Mac hard drive through as an external hard drive (with an external hard drive enclosue, using a USB cable) and the new Mac does not recognize the external hardrive (even though the green light is on in the external hardrive). Any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

Thank you very much,

Hopper8

2. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

It could be a bad enclosure. I got a Universal Drive Adapter from Novatech in the UK for £7.99 that works perfectly with every SATA and ATA drive I've used with it. It even mounts the 6Gb ATA that my G3 came with in the late 90s.

Try and find something similar. They're useful for the future too because you can use bare drives for backup. There's something similar from Newertech but it's 3 times the price and most of the reviews say it's garbage.

3. jlsm511 macrumors 6502

jlsm511

Might be a bad enclosure. I got a cheap cable at Tiger Direct for $10. Check if on disk utility if the disk is recognized but maybe just hasn't mounted?