Unable to connect to AT&T Wi-Fi at Barnes & Noble

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daihard, Jul 29, 2009.

1. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Hi.

I have been unable to connect my iPhone (3GS) to the supposedly free AT&T Wi-Fi at Barnes & Noble. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Here is what happens. The network ("attwifi") is detected, and the connection is made. However, it always gives me an invalid IP address (starting with "169"). Sure enough, as I try to view a page on Safari, the connection remains 3G and won't switch to Wi-Fi.

I have no trouble connecting to (and using) the free AT&T Wi-Fi offered in Starbucks and McDonald's. Any idea what's going on?

TIA

2. daihard thread starter macrumors 6502a

daihard

A co-worker tried it at another Barnes & Noble store and had the same problem...

3. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

B&N and/or AT&T probably F'd something up when rolling out the "free" service...probably have it sorted out in a week/month or two

4. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I was just there yesterday and it worked fine for me (3GS).

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

I heard from a B&N manager

that gets pizza next door and loves free pizza that B&N & At&T are going allow this next Friday 8-7 he even let me hold a official B&N letter while he ate the pizza but then quickly grabbed it back. Saying hey your not a B&N manager give that back. here is a photo of the manager enjoying his pizza!

[​IMG]

6. WishIWasHere macrumors regular

I have been happily using B&N wifi for quite a while now, including yesterday, with no problems except a very minor one. It seems that this AT&T auto-authentication tends to be kind of sluggish, so often I'll just fall back to my Easy Wifi for AT&T to connect in a flash.

7. alent1234 macrumors 603

try to turn wifi off and on
    next step is to turn airplane mode on and off
    the reboot the iphone
    then reimage it

Wi-Fi is very flaky and a lot of things can interfere with it

8. jason221 macrumors 6502

I was at B&N two days ago and the "attwifi" network worked fine on my 3GS.

9. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

10. lcreel44 macrumors newbie

I couldn't connect my MacBook Pro at B&N. Said connected but couldn't reach server. Worked fine 10 minutes earlier at Peet's. Suspect AT&T feed is DSL & might not be compatible with Airport.(?)

11. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

That makes no sense. I use AT&T's free wifi at b&n all the time.

12. Kenal0 macrumors regular

169= self assigned IP address. Your phone is not able to get an ip address from the BN system.
    Kenal0

13. synagence macrumors 6502a

Ever since iOS4 (on both 3GS and 4) i've been unable to connect to the hotel i stay in's wifi

Its a free open wifi spot - i even get a proper 10.x address but it won't connect

iPad works find and 3GS was fine on 3.1.3 ...i presume iOS4's screwed wifi up

14. Alchemist585 macrumors newbie

Alchemist585

The B&N ATT WiFi issue is the lack of connection despite the fact that in the settings the WiFi says "connected". This problem is not unique to Apple devices. It's encountered using any other device. And it has not been addressed & it does not seem that they care to fix it.

15. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet