Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Unable to connect to NAS VPN Server via Network Preferences

kcwjr

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Santa Fe, NM
Previous to Big Sur Beta 4, I was able to connect to my NAS VPN Server via Network Preferences VPN profile. It had worked continuously for almost two years. However, after the Beta 4 upgrade(?), anytime I try to connect I get "The L2TP-VPN server did not respond." error. I have another mac that is running Catalina and using the same VPN profile and is able to connect. I have a third party app, Tunnelblick, on the imac that can't connect which is able to connect . I have restarted the mac, the server, reset the profiles to a no avail. Sure does appear to me that there is a bug in the network preferences in Big Sur. I have posted same issue in the Feedback Assistant on the Apple Developer website as well. Any suggestions from anyone. Thanks.

carlsson

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2001
I got this issue after tonights beta 8 update. I am connecting to a Cisco VPN though. This is critical for me, since I cannot do some of my work without that VPN... 😝

Did you ever solve your situation?

carlsson

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2001
Thanks. Didn't help here though... :(

It just tries to connect, and after a minute or so it stops trying. No matter what login credentials I give it, or if I delete and recreate the VPN settings.

Very frustrating.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
For me PB8 fixed an issue I was having with Cisco VPN (resolving hostnames hit/miss between reconnects), now it's working consistently

paris18m

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
business VPN is not working for me either today after latest public beta update :(

wilsonjchan

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2013
VPN used to pop up the username/password dialog but it doesn't do that after PB8. I tried putting my password in the settings but it failed to connect. Had to restore to Catalina.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.