Unable to copy/import burned movies into iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by abbstrack, Dec 23, 2013.

1. abbstrack, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013

abbstrack macrumors regular

Posted this in Apple support forums, but wanted to give it a shot here as well.

Has anyone experienced issues in iTunes 11 (specifically 11.1.3) when trying to add ripped movies to iTunes? I bought a DVD, ripped it using MacX DVD Ripper, and tried to add it to my itunes library to stream via airplay to my Apple TV. The file starts to copy, but freezes and eventually hangs every time. I'm then forced to force quit itunes, but this then takes a toll on my OS as i'm not able to shut down/restart without doing a hard reset on my Mac Mini. Something tells me there's something buggy with iTunes/Mavericks, and they are not playing nicely together.

To dig a little deeper, I suspected maybe it was a problem with the movie file (although it's your standard MP4 burned with AppleTV 2 specs in mind), so I went to one of the movies that was already in my itunes library, deleted it, and tried to add it back the same way (tried both via import and drag and drop) and that one locked up itunes as well.

I've tried reinstalling iTunes over my current version, but that hasn't solved my problem.

Any suggestions? Has one one else experienced any issues?

My setup is below:
    OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.6GHz i7 16GB 1TB Fusion Drive

2. abbstrack thread starter macrumors regular

oy. if i'm the only one with this issue, there's no hope of apple issuing a fix.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Sounds like a problem with your Mavericks install, try repairing permissions first.

4. abbstrack thread starter macrumors regular

yeah..went that route..unfortunately no luck.

any way to reinstall mavericks (not clean install, but re-install) over this possibly corrupted version? i already know the dangers of layering OS on OS, but need a quicker solution than a clean install. that's a huge headache.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Do a clean install, backup your documents first of course.

6. Sym0 macrumors 6502

Sym0

Thanks what I do on Mavericks 10.9.1 on my rMBP 15 with USB Super Drive.

1. Use Handbrake and open the TS Video folder and rip the desired Movie off the DVD using normal or Apple TV setting 2 or 3.
    2. Get MetaZ and search your movies metadata so you have it correctly sorted with cover art etc.
    3. In iTunes click file, add to library and you should be done.

7. abbstrack, Dec 31, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013

abbstrack thread starter macrumors regular

i'm officially stumped. I did a clean install. Erased everything on the drive and started over. backed up my iTunes library, and copied it back over after the clean install. SAME PROBLEM. Freezes halfway through the 'Copying 1 of 1:" process when trying to add a movie to my library.

This same library I have copied over to my late early 2009 Macbook Pro, and I have zero problems adding movies to that library when it's running on my MBP. Only issues are on my late 2012 Mac Mini. I do not intend to have to play hard drive switcheroo every time i want to rip a movie on mac mini and actually add it to my iTunes library. right now I am forced to rip on mac mini, copy current iTunes library to MBP, transfer movie file to mbp, add to iTunes library, then recopy that iTunes library back to my mac mini. Needless to say, this is driving me crazy.

Any ideas?

8. cuestakid macrumors 68000

Re-create your iTunes library-it sounds like the library file may be corrupted. Make sure you know where all your data is, take note of any playlists or other settings, empty your library. Go into your iTunes folder and delete the itunes library files (there is an xml file and few others). Open itunes and it should guide you through re-creating the library.

9. abbstrack thread starter macrumors regular

i have a rather large library (>200GB, music is on an external HD) all organized pretty neatly. is there any way to do this without having to redownload artwork, etc..?

10. cuestakid macrumors 68000

11. abbstrack thread starter macrumors regular

after 4 Clean installs of OSX, each trying a different thing, I think I've isolated the issue, and it's not the iTunes library, but rather iTunes 11.1.3. I realized after every clean install I would do all the necessary updates to iTunes, except on this last pass. Instead I copied my backed up library over, and kept iTunes 11.1, and successfully imported a ripped movie into iTunes without issue. So the culprit appears to be 11.1.3. I'm holding off on updating iTunes until this is resolved.

After googling, it seems some others are having this problem after updating to 11.1.3 as well

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23873261#23873261

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5621750

I've already issue a bug report to apple, but if anyone has any other info on better ways to make apple aware of this i'm open to suggestions.

12. abbstrack thread starter macrumors regular

****ing ********!

so after 9 hours of sitting idle, i come home to discover that my computer has automatically downloaded/installed iTunes 11.1.3, despite the fact that I have never manually asked it to do so. so now, i will have to do my 5th (FIFTH!!!) CLEAN INSTALL FROM SCRATCH, FILE AND APPLICATION MIGRATION, ETC..to get my computer working. and who knows if iTunes will download the non-working 11.1.3 again.

HATE HATE HATE for apple at this time. I never asked for 11.1.3 to be downloaded, installed. i turned off automatic downloads. How does this happen???

13. MacTCE macrumors 6502

Does anyone else use the machine that could have updated it accidentally?

14. abbstrack, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014

no. It was an automatic download, I wasn't given the choice. I stepped away from the machine for a few hours, came back and iTunes was missing from the '1 update available' list. So I opened iTunes to check the version, and sure enough it was now 11.1.3 instead of 11.1.

The one thing I can think of, is after I figured out the problem, I then figured it would be safe to do a migration assistant transfer of my apps from my backup drive. Perhaps that brought over the later version of iTunes? If so, is there any way I can selectively recover certain apps, and leave others (i.e. iTunes) untouched? I have both a Time Machine backup and a Carbon Copy Clone backup.

**Edit** just tried to do a Time Machine restoration of iTunes to 11.1, and received an error message that it's required by the OS and can't be modified or deleted. Any workarounds?

15. abbstrack thread starter macrumors regular

found a way to delete iTunes via terminal, and copied over the older version from my Time Machine backup file. I *think* i'm in good shape now, so long as I don't update iTunes to 11.1.3

16. abbstrack thread starter macrumors regular

nevermind

now having the same issues with 11.1.1.

this problem is never-ending.

officially stumped.

17. abbstrack, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014

reverting back to Mountain Lion. Can't for the life of me understand how Mavericks could destroy a top of the line Late 2012 Mac Mini, but it did, so i've got no choice but to go back to the previous OS.

What an awful awful user experience this has been. Can't import/add files to iTunes, can't copy files from one external drive to another (finder continues to freeze and then just stop responding), slow wifi.

I have a MBPro, a top of the line Mac Mini, an iPhone 5, an iPad 3, an Apple TV (2) and a brand new 160GB iPod. Apple has turned one of it's loyalists into a hater with this awful experience. I'm not trying to do anything complicated. I simply want to add files to my iTunes library, or copy a file from one hard drive to another. I consider myself an expert user. I can use terminal. I can configure my cpu to meet my needs. I'm not someone who has no clue what I'm doing on a computer. I shouldn't have to spend 2 weeks of my life trying to get my operating system and my iTunes to play nicely with each other.

i'm basically talking to myself in this thread at this point, but I need somewhere to express my disappointment, and god knows i can't call them.

18. cuestakid macrumors 68000

I have been following-I honestly I have no idea what would be causing this problem. I know you have tried different methods of restoring your library. Have you actually tried starting with a clean library? If so, I would try calling Apple. This is not normal behavior. Have you also tried using different methods to rip/encode?

19. abbstrack, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014

So I've tried every way possible. With a new clean itunes library, with a migrated/restored itunes library, rebuiliding an ituens library by deleting the .itl file and importing the xml playlist. Everything you can imagine. I've also tried using ripped files from handbrake and macxdvd pro ripper.

Also, the downgrade didnt work. same issue. so now i'm back to mavericks (6th OS clean install in the past week). I transferred my applications over via migration assistant, but kept the itunes library completely clean. Re-added all my files to the itunes library, and went to move the movies that are already in my library from being sorted as 'home videos' to being sorted as 'movies' (right click on all movies --> get info --> options). halfway through moving my movies, same issue. Completely frozen, only way for me to shut down itunes is to force quit, rendering the rest of my computer useless, only way for me to shut down my computer is with a hard reset.

the next common denominator i am testing is the external drive that my media library is located on. I am moving (reluctantly) all 324GB of media from that drive to my Mac Mini's hard drive, and instead of having a 'referenced' library on an external drive, will try and see what happens when my itunes library and all media are sitting on the same drive. This has never been a problem in the past, but i'm at a complete loss.

20. cuestakid macrumors 68000

call apple

21. abbstrack thread starter macrumors regular

tried that. they had no idea either. blamed it on a possibly failing hard drive in the mac mini..which makes no sense since it's barely a year old. i've already ran the hardware diagnostic test and nothing came up. i have a genius bar appointment scheduled for Tuesday..not expecting much there, but we'll see. I imagine i'll have to tell them 50 times that i've already done a clean install, built a new library, etc.. since those are their standard go to answers.

As for the move of the files to the internal hard drive..same problem. just tried to select all and change the sorting from home videos to movies....froze up. will have to force quit, hard reset, and start over. what a waste. this mac mini is about 2 minutes from being thrown out the window. never again with apple.

had this same type of unsolvable problem with aperture a few years ago turning up the unsupported image format error on tons of my pictures..apple couldn't help, genius bar couldn't help..i eventually had to start using lightroom. So done with them.

22. cuestakid macrumors 68000

what is the file type you are importing? Have you tried different file types?

23. abbstrack, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014

.mp4. i've also tried importing .m4v files. but now my problems aren't limited to importing. now it's copying files, moving files. everything freezes. for example, i just ripped sideways the movie, as an mp4 file from macxdvd ripper pro. by default, macxdvd ripper pro rips it to a folder in my movies library called mac dvd library. i just went to copy the file from that library to my external hard drive that holds all my media. got to 385.9mb of 2.21gb transferred, now completely stopped. if i try to relaunch finder to force quit the copy, the relaunch will fail, my comp will become inoperable, and i'll have to hard reset.

everything i try to do now freezes. whether it's importing files, copying files to a hard drive, etc.. This after 7 clean installs (erasing disk, booting from a mavericks osx installer flash drive i created, and starting over from scratch). Last night i tried moving the files off the external hard drive and onto my internal 1TB fusion drive. The copy went through fine, but when i tried to copy a file into iTunes it completely froze, same situation.

something is terribly wrong here. Just looked at my receipt for the mac mini purchase, and it's 11/6/12. No way in hell my hard drive should be failing or I should be experiencing the issues i'm having with this computer given the $1500 i paid to spec it out at top of the line.

**edit** so i just hard reset my computer, and went to copy the file again..froze up at 125.8mb copied..the computer is virtually unusable.

**edit 2** running verify disk permissions and getting a ton of ACL found but not expected on "Appications/iTunes.app.Contents/Frameworks/iAdCore.framework/Versions/A/Resources"

After a clean install?? seriously?

24. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Factory or 3rd party RAM? DIY or factory fusion drive, any 3rd party drivers? Any unusual software OSX modifiers? Do you dig around in terminal trying to tweak the OS?

Futzing with the terminal is more likely to make things worse.

Me, I'd backup my documents and do a full Mavericks install (format the current partition) and reinstall apps from the app-store.

25. abbstrack thread starter macrumors regular

Factory Fusion drive. 3rd party (OWC) RAM. never dug around terminal to tweak the OS, but i did use it once (about 4 clean installs ago) to delete iTunes..have since reformatted and cleanly installed mavericks about 4 times since then without going back into terminal for anything else.