unable to find Identifier field in device’s UDID

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by johnmerlino, Oct 1, 2012.

1. johnmerlino, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

johnmerlino macrumors member

In Xcode, I navigated to the ‘Window’ drop down menu and selected ‘Organizer’. There's supposed to be a

"40 hex character string in the Identifier field is your device’s UDID."

according to the iOS provisioning portal.

However the only device is see is my mac, not the iphone:

http://i50.tinypic.com/20b1iye.png

thanks for response

2. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

Did you ever connect your device to this Mac? I see all the devices I've ever connected to my Mac where you only see the Mac. You can of course delete devices also from that list.

3. johnmerlino thread starter macrumors member

connect what device? The iphone? Why would I need to connect a physical iphone to upload my application to the apple store?

4. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

The 40 character identifier to which you refer identifies a device. I'm sure I don't see anything in your first post that refers to uploading an application to the apple store.

What is your question again?

5. johnmerlino thread starter macrumors member

Im trying to upload an app to the app store. but having difficulty. I tried following documentation and that was one of the steps. Is there any other documentatin I can follow?

6. johnmerlino thread starter macrumors member

Right now app store says "waiting for upload". So I launch xcode. select iOS Device and then I run archive and get the error:

Warning: The Copy Bundle Resources build phase contains this target's Info.plist file 'Remote iPhone/Remote iPhone-Info.plist'.
    Code Sign error: A valid provisioning profile matching the application's Identifier 'com.doggps.mobile' could not be found

7. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

Tech Note 2250 covers how to codesign your app for submission.

You should fix the warning and must fix the error that you showed.

The warning is fixed by removing the Info.plist file from the Copy Bundle Resources Build Phase on the Project's Build Phases screen.

Read the tech note to figure out how to codesign your app for submission. Either you didn't create a Distribution certificate or you didn't create a valid Distribution certificate or you haven't configured your project correctly to use the Distribution certificate.

8. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

Also, I find it very troubling that you have never attached a device to the computer, yet you want to upload your app to the app store. I would recommend rigorously testing your app on a physical device, because the simulator, while nice, does not capture all the nuances of actually using the app on a device

9. johnmerlino, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

johnmerlino thread starter macrumors member

10. johnmerlino thread starter macrumors member

After going to the iOS provisioning portal, Distribution provisioning profile section, downloading the dstribution profile and then dragging it into xcode, in xcode, I click refresh and see this message:

"Your team has no devices for which to generate a provisioning profile. Please connect a device to use for development, or manually add a Device ID using the Provisioning Portal.
    https://developer.apple.com/devcenter/ios"

11. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

Most likely you've created an ad hoc distribution profile not an app store distribution profile.

12. johnmerlino thread starter macrumors member

No I selected app store. Here's a screenshot:

http://i49.tinypic.com/259zhww.jpg

13. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Do you also have a development provisioning profile set up? One that has no devices associated with it? If so, assign some devices or delete it.

14. johnmerlino thread starter macrumors member

I renewed my provisioning profile by following all the steps in that document and I have a valid profile now under provisioning profile:

http://i47.tinypic.com/dnhwdj.jpg

However, I am still getting this:

Code Sign error: A valid provisioning profile matching the application's Identifier 'com.guarddoggps.mobile' could not be found

when running product > archive

15. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

That image shows an app identifier of "com.guarddoggps.mobile1" not "com.guarddoggps.mobile".

Attached Files:

16. johnmerlino thread starter macrumors member

In addition to what I stated above, I tried to also follow the steps under section "Assigning Provisioning Profiles to Build Configurations" as well:

http://i48.tinypic.com/23vdc46.jpg

And still the same error

----------

So what does that mean? What do i do? I followed the instructions to do everything from scratch so I am not sure what I did wrong.

17. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Have you changed your app's Bundle Identifier to match the one in your Provisioning Profile (or vice versa) yet?

18. johnmerlino thread starter macrumors member

Not sure. How do I change app's Bundle Identifier to match the one in Provisioning Profile?

19. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Go to the Summary tab for your app's Target. Then set the Bundle Identifier to match. Here's a demo snapshot of where this setting is:

Attached Files:

20. johnmerlino thread starter macrumors member

Archive succeeded but I get this:

While reading /Users/GuardDogGPS_02/Documents/XKRemote_iPhone/XKRemote iPhone/Images/carGreen.png pngcrush caught libpng error:
    Could not find file: /Users/GuardDogGPS_02/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/XKRemote_iPhone-bypzgauzuhsnzzawqbrogiqxsxrj/Build/Intermediates/ArchiveIntermediates/XKRemote iPhone/InstallationBuildProductsLocation/Applications/GuardDog.app/carGreen.png

Verify exit code of build task with internal identifier 'CopyPNGFile carGreen.png'

Preceding build task claims to succeed in spite of generating error messages. Please file a bug report.

I am able to run the thing in iphone simulator without such error so why does it occur here?

21. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Probably because the simulator has access to files outside your application bundle. Is carGreen.png copied into your app bundle / project or just linked in?

22. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

So the problem was that the app id and/or bundle id didn't match between the provisioning profile and the values set in the project? I have to assume that those details are mentioned in the TN referenced upthread.

What is carGreen.png? Is it in your project? Is in the target? Is it in the copy bundle resources build phase? Does it end up inside the app bundle? If you remove the app from the Sim and option-clean does the image still work in the Sim?

23. johnmerlino thread starter macrumors member

There actually files in my project called carGreen.png and carRed.png but they are both 0 bytes and are essentially "empty". For example, I double click it and it says "file cannto be opened because its empty". That said, my application doesnt even use them anyway.

24. johnmerlino thread starter macrumors member

I deleted the two files and the archive gave no errors this time

25. johnmerlino thread starter macrumors member

when I press the distribute button now after doing the archive, I get another error:

http://i49.tinypic.com/166lnpt.jpg

"Bundle identifier differs from prior bundle identifier"