Unable to load various pages with my brand new iMAC

Discussion in 'iMac' started by LittleMarie, Sep 6, 2012.

1. LittleMarie macrumors newbie

I purchased my new iMac 3 weeks ago (after my macbook pro crashed). I tried to wait for iHospital to provide a quote for a new logic board on my old macbook pro, but after waiting 5 days, I couldn't wait any longer. I was contracted to provide images to clients and I had to break my contract and offer them discounts to keep them from suing me. I own a photography business and the mac was needed to continue my editing, sneak peeks, web uploads, etc.

As soon as I got the computer setup I tried to go on facebook... Nothing.... I tried again... still nothing. This was using Safari. So, I downloaded firefox and tried again... Still nothing.... Google Chrome... Nothing... Opera... again NOTHING! It is important that I have access to facebook for business purposes as that's where I post client sneak peeks, offer discounts, etc.

I thought the problem was only with facebook, but i've been corrected... I have problems uploading images to my business website. It will upload about 90% and then it just stops. It doesn't matter if I wait 10 minutes or 10 hours. Images will never fully upload.

Also have problems uploading to my client viewing galleries. Prior to my new computer, I could upload anywhere from 20-30 low-resolution images in about 5 minutes. The most recent upload attempt of 26 images took me 10 hours, and at the end not all of the images had actually uploaded. I attempted to upload the last remaining 5 images at my day-job, and they uploaded in no more than 1 minute.

Talked to apple for 90 minutes on Saturday. They are unable to diagnose the problem, but believe it to be the firewall from my isp. Talked to my ISP (att) for 45 minutes last night. They tried to tell me it's my computer firewall (which is highly unlikely given it was never turned on). So then they try to tell me that I need to try accessing facebook with another computer. I told them 5 times I'm able to access facebook with my cell phone and I'm able to access from my day-job computer (i work at a big university). So then they try to tell me that I need to contact facebook directly. Um, that's not happening. They have no phone # to contact tech support and they NEVER respond to emails submitted when reporting a problem. I'm over all of these companies pointing fingers at each other.

Like I said, this issue spans across multiple browsers. And I'm at my whits-end given that I bought the computer for business purposes and can't do about 75% of what i need to do online to promote my business. Please Please Please! Can somebody provide any insight? Is it my mac? is it my ISP? I'm just so over all of the issues!!! :(

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Could be your router. What make & model is it?

3. Lucianrider macrumors member

Could be your router, possibly an ethernet cable if that is how you are connected, which brings to mind whether you can try a different connection. Wifi instead of ethernet or vice versa.

It could also be a DNS issue, maybe you had a public address on your Macbook like 4.2.2.2.
    Why don't you try getting to Facebook via its ip address which is http://69.171.224.37
    If you can get to facebook that way then you know its a DNS issue.

Until you can fix the issue which would most likely be your Router/Modem you can go into System Preferences/Network, highlight Ethernet on the left if that is how you are connected, click on advanced and then the DNS tab. Click the + sign and add a public DNS server. You should probably already have your router address in there. For example 192.168.0.1

I would almost say with certainty that this is a configuration or router/modem problem and not the iMac.

Good luck.

4. LittleMarie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I'll have to check it when I get home. A friend did mention that if I was able to use another computer connecting to my internet and was able to access fb, my website, and my viewing gallery that it's more than likely my computer.

I hadn't even thought about it, but after my logic board died on my macbook pro, and before i received my new iMac, I borrowed a coworkers extra macbook for a couple of days so that I could upload viewing galleries, post sneak peeks, etc... I had no problem connecting to fb or any other websites.

This really does make me think that it has something to do with my actual computer, but I will definitely look into the other as soon as I get home. Thank you. :)

5. Unhyper, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

Unhyper macrumors regular

Unhyper

Does using a different connection method help? If you're using a wired connection, connect through wireless. Does that change anything?

The reason I am asking is, I had a computer once that had a part of the motherboard fail, and it was the wired Ethernet chipset. Everything else worked, and wireless worked, but the system couldn't use the integrated LAN device and saw it as failed. Usually if something like this happens, it only affects that connection type and not the other, which is why I asked if wireless would work.

If one connection type works and one doesn't, then it's a matter of determining whether it's a software issue or a hardware one. Does the computer use Lion or Mountain Lion, and if the latter, did it come with it or did you upgrade to it after purchase?

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

How computer literate would you say you are OP? I'm not trying to be mean, but need to gauge what level of troubleshooting to suggest.

Really sounds like a network problem. There's little reason why it would be the computer, unless it's a faulty ethernet port/wifi card.