unable to move one or more files (bootcamp)§

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by qwerty2k, Nov 17, 2008.

1. qwerty2k macrumors regular

Hi Guys (and gals),

Getting an error when try to setup bootcamp to run windows, it says unable to move 1 or more files when trying to partition the drive and then won't let me go any further, any way i can resolve this?

Cheers,

Scott

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

When you're going through the setup (from the disk, pre-install), are you formatting the bootcamp partition to NTFS or FAT? It defaults to FAT, but you want to use NTFS (quick format to NTFS will do fine).

3. qwerty2k thread starter macrumors regular

it doesn't give me a choice via bootcamp assistant.

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Sorry, should have specified. The bootcamp assistant automatically formats to FAT, then after you boot up to your Windows disk and go through the setup and select the partition you want (labeled BOOTCAMP) you will have the option to format it before the install takes place.

5. qwerty2k thread starter macrumors regular

boot camp assistant won't even create the fat partition, it gives me that error before it even creates a partition.

6. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Ohhhhh. Alrighty, well some more info then: Is this the first time you've tried bootcamp? Did you try in its beta version (with Tiger)? Is this the old, beta version? Have you recently replaced your HD?

edit: Either way, most likely your only solution is to first try out Apple's Disk Utility: Repair Permissions/Disk while booted to your install disks, run DiskWarrior if you have it, and then if all else fails backup all of your data and reformat drive and start over. I know the old, beta version of Bootcamp caused some weird issues to your drive when it was removed, forcing you to reformat; so that's why I was asking, but it sounds like you'll have to go ahead and do that.

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

What's the exact error? With the information you've given, it sounds to me like it could a fragmentation problem when partitioning. The Boot Camp partitioner can't find enough room to move some large file. I've come across this before when partitioning. But we can't be certain without the exact error message.

The way I fixed it was to use SuperDuper (you could use any other cloning app) to clone my boot drive onto an internal drive, then I reformatted and cloned it back. Or you could try a third party defragmenter (I didn't mind spending the time)

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ yea in that case, just defrag your main hd partition.

9. qwerty2k thread starter macrumors regular

are there any free defraggers out there? only one i know of is idefrag which costs.

10. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Free defragmentation? Sure- just make sure your backup is current, erase the drive then restore the backup. 0% fragmentation guaranteed and the Boot Camp Assistant will be happy again.