Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

og3og

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Yonkers, NY USA
I've been trying since Tuesday to get pre-approved to pre-order today, but kept getting a message, "Something went wrong while we were checking your eligibility. Please try again later." I spoke with 3 Apple reps who all stated that this was a known issue that was being worked on and should be corrected in 24-48 hours. Needless to say it was not. Apple rep last night told me that during pre-orders this morning it is a different process and the order should go through with no issues. Well I'm still getting the same error message. On hold now to speak to another rep to try to figure out the issue.

Is anyone else getting this error message? Were you able to get it resolved?

I had to return my original XS Max and have it exchanged for a new one, not sure if that is the issue, but the serial # matches in the order section and on my applecare+.

atrus2000

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2019
I have the exact same problem with my account and I never had to get my phone exchanged. I am using the same XS that I got on launch day last year.

I was unable to do the pre-authorization Tuesday evening due to the error and the problem still persists. So far no one at Apple appears to have any clue what is going on. Yesterday they told me to wait until orders open this morning and it would work.

Orders opened this morning and I am still getting the same message. Talked with a representative this morning and they claimed it was due to high server load and said to keep trying throughout the day and eventually it should work. I have been trying off and on for the past 3 hours and still no luck.

I doubt it really is a server load issue and suspect there must be something with certain IUP accounts that is causing the problem but so far no luck getting Apple to fix it.

phantom5251

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
Michigan
I have the exact same problem with my account and I never had to get my phone exchanged. I am using the same XS that I got on launch day last year.

I was unable to do the pre-authorization Tuesday evening due to the error and the problem still persists. So far no one at Apple appears to have any clue what is going on. Yesterday they told me to wait until orders open this morning and it would work.

Orders opened this morning and I am still getting the same message. Talked with a representative this morning and they claimed it was due to high server load and said to keep trying throughout the day and eventually it should work. I have been trying off and on for the past 3 hours and still no luck.

I doubt it really is a server load issue and suspect there must be something with certain IUP accounts that is causing the problem but so far no luck getting Apple to fix it.

I have had similar issues with trying to upgrade on Verizon's program. Tried to do pre-approval, and all I got after confirming carrier was to buy a phone outright and activate with Verizon later. Then tried to pre-order this morning and all I get is something telling me that I can only pick up my phone in store. Tried doing that for a 256 GB Green iPhone Pro Max, and it won't even let me pick up from the store. Something is either off with Apple or the carriers or both. And of course can't get ahold of anybody from chat, and then by the time they respond, or say they're looking into it, it times out.

og3og

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Yonkers, NY USA
Spoke to a rep on the phone and was told to go to the store on launch day, I waited hours on line and walked out empty handed. When the Apple employee helping me scanned my serial number, it was telling him that the wrong phone was being turned in. I was told that the chain was broken and that Apple hadn’t updated the IUP loan with the serial number of the replacement phone I received last year. The employee created an escalation ticket and said I would have to wait till the issue is corrected in the system. I’ve been checking my upgrade eligibility through the Apple store app and still getting the same error. The store is holding the phone until the issue is corrected, but the waiting is killing me (not really, but just annoying). I guess I’m just stuck playing the waiting game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.