Unable to receive AOL mail on my MBA...

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by StarShot, Apr 21, 2018.

1. StarShot macrumors 6502a

StarShot

Running High Sierra and can't receive email in the Apple App. If I log on to aol.com with a browser and enter my user name/password, I can receive my mail.

But if I attemp to use Main, I get an error message "unable to account name or password". Is there a problem with aol and OS-X?

2. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

I have two AOL accounts in Mail, and both will occasionally go wack-o, particularly after a macOS system reinstall.
    Fix is (assuming that your Mail account is set up properly) go into Accounts (in System preferences). Click on your account name. Close any message that pops up about a password, then click on the Details button. Make sure your account name (including @aol.com) and password are both correct in the Details window. Be sure to re-enter your current AOL mail account password. Click OK to complete that entry. That should fix it.

3. StarShot thread starter macrumors 6502a

StarShot

That didn't work. I can't access the AOL account either with my MBA or a Windows 10 laptop if I use Apps like Mail in OS-X or Mail in Win 10. Strangely I can access my AOL email if I go with aol.com, using the same log-in data. I'm wondering if I may have too many email accounts (around 10 or so)? Could that be a limitation?

Not that it probably matters, but I couldn't find the "details" button you mentioned. Also, at one time I deleted this aol account from my MBA because I was getting tired of all the error messages.

4. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

As you can connect to view your AOL mail at aol.com, then the difference is you don't need any settings, just login and you can view webmail. Your settings in Mail app on both Windows 10 and macOS need checking. Something is wrong, or just missing a setting.

What have you tried in Windows 10 to get your AOL account to work in Mail?
    Here's what looks like good tips to get that going on Windows.

Something similar should work for Mac Mail, too. Search for something like "AOL mail settings for macOS Mail", or something similar. You should see quite a few results for that.

5. StarShot thread starter macrumors 6502a

StarShot

Thanks for the input. Yes, I can always go to aol.com. Just easier using my mail app as I receive mail also on gmail and outlook. Almost daily i get a popup saying there is a settings problem with aol.com

6. chabig macrumors 603

It has to be a problem with your settings, so maybe that's what you should do this time. Delete the account and re-enter it.

7. StarShot thread starter macrumors 6502a

StarShot

I've tried that several times already. The problem occurs on my MBA and on my Windows 10 Surface Pro. I'm starting to think AOL only wants to grant me access to AOL mail if I sign in to AOL.com.

8. chabig macrumors 603

9. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Settings on the Mac wouldn't explain why you would also have problems with Mail in Windows!

You really need to double-check your settings. As chabig says, AOL has the settings available in help.
    There's also a number of other sites that have tips on how to get a stubborn mail account working, either on Windows, or Mac. You just have to work your way through the settings, and make sure all is good.

AOL will provide chat support if you have a paid AOL account, otherwise, you have to send emails to AOL support. Not even sure if that still is a choice now that AOL is owned by Verizon...
    Maybe you could try contacting AOL support - https://help.aol.com/contact/

10. chabig macrumors 603

Normally no, unless he used the same bad settings on both. That’s why I linked directly to AOL help.