unable to remove MacOS installers from NAS

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by Tech198, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Tech198 macrumors G5

When trying to delete these MacOS installers downloaded from App Store, i keep them on NAS as a backup (Yosemite, El Cap up to Mojave.. so 5 in total)

However, when trashing one to replace it with updated version, i cannot empty it..

The error that comes up is "unable to delete.. "Versions" is in use"

I'm logged on to NAS as admin, but they delete just fine when copied to /Applications folder

Not sure if the terminal commands sudo and/or rm syntax's, but tried them anyway, pointing to mounted volume on NAS, but it didn't work.

Pulling up "Get info" reveals it is deleting, but there is something *stuck* Its only these files,, thers delete no fine. Is this due to OS X specially?

Attached Files:

2. chabig macrumors 603

1. I would expect that if a file on the NAS is in use, you also cannot unmount the NAS. Can you?

2. A sure way to make sure nothing is running is to shut down the Mac and reboot it. Then mount the NAS and delete the file.

3. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G5

I can unmount NAS fine.. I just tried rebooting NAS and Mac does not solve it. If i created a new admin account on Mac, then tried deleting from there, would that help?

4. chabig macrumors 603

I doubt it. How could "Versions" be running? That's the issue, I think. If you open Activity Monitor, do you see "Versions" running. You can check the path to the app from there, but it might be easier if you just Quit the app from inside Activity Monitor. That might permit you to delete the installer.

5. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

AFP is deprecated, so, can see possible weirdness.

Seem to recall that might need to access the NAS via IP address vs a name. And depending on if NAS has their own software stack, that might need to get an upgrade.

No NAS here, so, just digging into mental banks re: seeing others struggle with Mac and NAS issues.

6. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

Ok, not a complete answer why the specific error message, but getting closer.

What appears is happening is that those installers might not be installers: too small per the screen shot.

I downloaded Mojave, copied to my Downloads. What I got in Downloads was a hard link to the installer. A 972 byte "file". Hardlink was pointing to the real installer sitting in my Trash.

7. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G5

Its due to Apple... For some reason I cannot delete the installers entirely on NAS, and the reason seems to be some file conflicting with the OSX.. I don't see how as the 1st: the installer on is a different system, and 2nd: its only an installer.

QNAP (NAS Vendor) even came down to this after i was able to remove it directly from File station on NAS itself..

The fact that an Mac installer on a NAS system which cannot be removed due to "conflicts" makes no sense to me, unless anyone can provide a valid reason behind it.. QNAP couldn't.

I would kinda understand if it was on the Mac itself, but its not.. Even when connecting via SMB on Mac provided partially undeletete-able..

I say "partially" because it seemed it could delete most, except "versions" as in screenshot..

"Versions" is not running in Activity Monitor at all, which only makes the error more confusing.

As i said: restart of Mac, Disconnect//reconnect of to share didn't help, and NAS is already up to date anyway.. I'm come down to must be an issue with the filesystem running on NAS (weather QNAP wants go admmit it, or not), because these same installers i have backuped to HFS+ external dive delete just fine.

8. whoisyourdaddy Suspended

If you downloaded the macOS installation file through the App Store, then it’s linked and the conflict is probably with the services which keep references to that installer and other associated files. Downloading from the App Store isn’t just like using other methods of downloading files from remote sources. So, my guess without seeing which links were created is that your conflict comes from downloading that installer and thinking that you can merely, copy/paste, sync, move that file like you’ve done with other files that you’ve downloaded. It’s not an issue with the OS but with you treating every file downloaded to your local/network drives the same and should be transferred between sources in the same manner.

9. flashy-cat macrumors regular

flashy-cat

Just ssh into your NAS and delete them from the command line!

10. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G5

I used rm from Terminal and it worked.. However as i found out its not only installers...

Video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qe72xtn96gvhp82/OS X or NAS? .mov?dl=0

I'm battling with QNAP support on this, because Apple blames NAS vendor, while QNAP blames Apple because it works via rm..

The reason i'm backing this up as, is that it deletes just fine from USB drive... but not from NAS.. (Apple blames them because its only related to NAS)

Other files delete just fine, so it seems to only be largish type folders 5Gig or over... I tries safe boot, and have even re-install clean install of Mojave, so to isolate issue further.. And as far as i can tell, i've ruled out being an OS X issue. Because it would have happened to USB too, except it doesn't.