Unable to sync contacts from Gmail (Exchange)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drewc1138, May 31, 2013.

1. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

My dad just switched an iPhone 5 from an Android phone, and so I got the tech support call.

I'm trying to sync the contacts from his gmail account to his iPhone. Using the same method as I've used on my own Gmail account, I have his Gmail account set up through Exchange, with Mail, Contacts and Calendars selected to sync. Whenever I do this, though, the contacts won't actually sync.

When I go to Contacts > Groups, his account is listed there, but under it, it just has the "Global Address List", but no "Contacts", like I have under my own personal accounts. I've even tried deleting and setting up his gmail account again, and then setting my own account up again the same way, and I get the same results.

I'm assuming there's some error with gmail here. Does anyone know what it may be?

2. TheManOfSilver macrumors regular

TheManOfSilver

3. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Google provides these instructions: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/3008051?hl=en

Unfortunately I can't really tell you if it will work under Google's new policies towards Apple. I got in before January 30th. I have my gmail and google calander synced, but I put my contacts on myself (long story short, VZW couldn't get them off my old blackberry).