Unable to update iPad mini 4 to iOS 9.1 PB1 (and mini review)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by joscejrod, Sep 18, 2015.

1. joscejrod macrumors 6502

joscejrod

Hello guys! I received my ipad mini 4 yesterday, I'm really pleased to say It's a great upgrade from my older mini 2.. I'm very impressed with it. No sound vibration issues as(very good and improved speaker performance indeed, not like my parents's ipad air 2...), wonderful new laminated display, with excelent color gamut, on par with ipad air 2 display(and the sense that you are touching each pixel). The cameras are a big upgrade too, and the processor, althought is not an A9(this the only option that Apple could have use in the ipad mini 4 instead of a8, because a8x or a9x need much more space, battery and it runs much warmer), the important difference is 2gb ram. This a key upgrade, because really improve the user experience. About new cases, the solution of two separate partes is a clever option, because you can pull of the cover when you want, and use the ipad that weight less in that way(and ipad is still protected by back case!). So the combination of less heavy ipad mini 4, and the option to pull off the cover really improve the feeling on your hands(ipad mini 2 weights 30 gr more and leather smart case is much bulkier). Of course, the quality of case and cover is top notch BUT...the price is very very high. Please apple...104€ for a complete silicon case??LOL, if the apple products are expensive(a very well spent money in my opinion), their accesories are LUXURY product. Ok, it's Apple...
    So very happy for these news.
    I have only one query for you...My older ipad mini 2 has 9.1 pb1 version, so when I've tried to configure the new mini 4 from with my mini 2's icloud copy, the system tells me that it impossible, becouse mini 4 had to have 9.1 installed. So, I've tried to update mi mini 4 without success. I've done all necessary steps, but iOS 9.1 PB1 isn't showed in sofware updates... Anybody has been able to update new mini 4 to 9.1 PB1 or apple still has to release this version for this new ipad??
    If I can't update it, I will have to copy preferences and dowloads apps manually...
    Thanks you very much!!!

2. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

It is not possible to change the GM build on your Mini 4 to a beta. You need to go the other way and change the Mini 2 to the final release. Then back it up and that should fix your ability to restore from its back up.

3. joscejrod thread starter macrumors 6502

joscejrod

Sorry, but I want to update from iOS 9.0 to iOS 9.1 PB1. This has been possible with my iphone, and my ipad mini 2, but I can't see the update in my mini 4...

4. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

You have the beta installed on your iphone and ipad 2. Your Mini 4 is not a part of the beta testing program - that you had to register for to be able to use the beta version of iOS 9 early. Your Mini 4 came with the grand master, it is not possible to put a beta version on any device unless you register it - but it is past that. It cannot be done anymore. You must downgrade your older devices and put the non beta (Grand Master) version of iOS 9 on them now, if you want them all to talk to each other. Please re-read my post above - #2
    PB1 stands for Public Beta 1

5. joscejrod thread starter macrumors 6502

joscejrod

So, Is it impossible to add new devices to the beta program?? It would be very weird...

6. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

If a device is still on some version of iOS 8, it might be possible, but not a drvice that already has the final build incorporated. Sorry...

7. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

Sorry to nitpick, but GM stands for Golden Master, not Grand Master

8. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

Lol. I Stand corrected. The Purpose of my replies on this thread were to help a fellow member, but nitpick if you must.

9. Luke Redpath macrumors 6502a

Actually it's Gold Master. ;)

Anyway, I have the same problem. No 9.1 build for the iPad mini 4 available in either the developer centre or via the beta program (which you can still enroll for).

This means it's not possible to restore a backup if your old device was on 9.1. There's no way around it. You can't downgrade your old iPad to 9.0 and create a new backup because you can't downgrade without restoring, and then you'll have two iPads you can't restore from backup.

It might just be that Apple haven't seeded the build for the new devices yet. Might show up in a few days.

10. joscejrod thread starter macrumors 6502

joscejrod

It's exactly what happens. Apple has yet to release 9.1 beta for mini 4. Maybe with an upgrade of PB1, or maybe they're going to wait for PB2...

11. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

12. Luke Redpath macrumors 6502a

13. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

14. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Beta 2 of 9.1 will likely include builds for iPad mini 4 and the new iPhones