Unarmed South Florida man with hands up shot by police while calming autistic patient

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mudslag, Jul 20, 2016.

1. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...an-hands-shot-police-video-article-1.2719331#

An unarmed Miami-area man trying to calm his autistic patient was shot in the leg by police even though he had his hands up, he said Wednesday.

Police in North Miami, Fla., told WSVN-TV officers responded Monday to a 911 call reporting a man with a gun threatening to commit suicide. Yet Charles Kinsey, a behavioral therapist, told the TV station the witness and later the police may have mistook the autistic man’s toy truck for a gun.

The patient had run away from a group home in the Miami suburb. Cellphone video showed Kinsey lying on the ground and trying to calm the patient even as officers pointed their guns at them.

“I’m going to the ground, just like this with my hands up. And I’m laying down here just like this. And I’m telling him again, 'Sir, there’s no need for firearms. I’m unarmed, this is an autistic guy. He has a toy truck in his hand,’” Kinseytold WSVN.

When he shot me, it was so surprising. It was like a mosquito bite. And when he hit me, I’m like, I still got my hands in the air. I said, ‘You know, I just got shot.’ And I’m saying to them, ‘Sir, why did you shoot me?’ And his words to me, he said, ‘I don’t know.’”

2. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

When a cop say he doesn't know why he shot you, that cop should not be on the force.

Assuming the victim is telling the story straight, that cop's gonna be fired pretty quickly.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Cops are getting shot and the level of stress is through the roofs. Here in CA they have 12# NY triggers on their guns IIRC. Those SUCK for accuracy but I guess help with negligent discharges

4. Populism, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016

Populism macrumors regular

Populism

If this anecdotal story is true, it is indicative of how each and every one of the 950,000 white-only US police force cops is racist.

Likewise, if this anecdotal story turns out to be less than true, then racism nonetheless!

5. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

6. samiwas macrumors 65816

Well, there appears to be video of it, so I assume it's true.

7. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

That cop should get fired, prosecuted and put in prison. The guy that got shot is going to get paid.​

8. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

At first, one would assume that it was, as suggested, an accidental discharge. But, then, the guy was handcuffed. What?!?!?

9. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Wait a minute maybe he is a hood rat it does not know how to behave or his parents did not teach him well or something so the cop is not at fault.

10. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

No such thing. Negligent is the word you are looking for. In the interview the victim states that he was handcuffed after he was shot.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

For his safety & that of the officers , original call was for an armed guy threatening suicide. Looks like s negligent discharge. Cop will get more training and victim a nice paycheck

12. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

It is frustrating when the police don't adjust their preconceived idea of a situation to the actual facts at the scene. But, you are probably right. It makes no sense, based on what the discovered situation was, but, it does make sense based on the original call.

13. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

That sucks. Fortunately for the autistic guy he was there. They could have hurt him, since we was being non responsive and combatitive towards them (as he was towards the caretaker).

14. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

not this time. seems you have an itchy keyboard finger though Steve. better get that checked out.

15. samiwas macrumors 65816

Wait...you're saying the cop is at fault and the guy didn't do anything wrong? Everyone...we're going to be okay. The world is turning around.

16. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Well there is always a fist. I am just do used to your responses.

17. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Yesterday I saw a man who changed his mind on something based on internet comments.
    It was a wonder to behold. Bound to see it once in a lifetime I suppose.

18. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Just another indication of the extreme political dysfunction in America?

Unscientific, more a wild hypotenuse on the events.

The vocal, volume, vociferous hatred toward many factors (immigrants, ISIS, income disparity, politicians of both sides, basically everything talked about) is source for high stress levels and the unconscious trigger happiness.
    The mantra (especially Republican) is Law and Order and it is creating and impression that "might makes right" any time.

Subliminal approval of extreme methods (shooting) in response to any strange situation.

Or maybe its just coincidence with no support.

19. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

No. I'm saying that this time the facts appear to show that the cop was negligent. Your knee-jerk tendency to blame the cops no matter what is, like a stopped clock, right this time. But stopped clocks are right twice a day, so you should aspire to better.

20. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

From what I've seen Mr. Kinsey is a hero. He recognised the potential threat, and did everything in his power to calm the situation down and was not only protecting himself but the autistic guy as well. As to why he was still shot, I don't know.. Populism played the biased generalizing racism pre-emptive strike, but none of the comments I've seen have indicated racism was at play. If it was an accidental discharge then the cop needs retraining, but at the very least he's got a lot of explaining to do.

21. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Like always, let us reserve judgement until the facts are in. The police officer has the right not to be prejudged. However, if we imagine that this was a horrible mistake, why would you cuff somebody you just shot accidentally? Sounds like things have gotten so bad that people just go into war mode....

I hope the guy who was shot recovers fully and quickly.

22. samiwas macrumors 65816

Well, I didn't quote you or even ask you, so I have no idea why you're responding to me. As far as my tendencies, you may want to check your sources.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

You have tendencies? :D

24. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Cop on video is black