Unbelievable Poor Apple after care!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cymru2014, Aug 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cymru2014 macrumors newbie

Morning All,

I purchased the iPhone 5s for my daughter at the end of November last year as a Xmas present for my daughter. It wasn't taken out of its box until 25th Dec. After 3 months the home button developed a fault. I took it to the Cardiff St Davids 2 store to get assessed. I was told that they had never seen the issue with the phone before and will exchange it. I was happy about this until they pulled what seemed to be a refurbished iPhone5s from a draw behind the genius bar. I expressed my unhappiness with receiving a refurbished item but was told they are not really refurbished they are brand new phones that have parts removed from them for service repairs then these parts are replace with new ones so the phone in essence is still new. I said I should have a new phone as its only been a few months but I was told accept or go away. Upset by this experience but happy to have a working phone for my daughter I accepted as I had no alternative.

Now last week the swapped iPhone vibrate stopped working. I booked it in with the St Davids 2 store. On arrival they said yes it seems as though the vibrate is broke. So I was expecting a swap as previously. No this time it can be repaired in store. I expressed my displeasure with this as I was told I would have to wait 30 minutes for the repair. 30 minutes passed and I returned to pick up the fixed phone. This was until I was told that they could not repair my phone as it contained non service parts and also had parts missing. I could not believe this so asked the store person to explain further. She told me that a non Apple screen was on the phone and they refuse to repair it under the terms of service. I asked how this could happen and was told that the screen must have been changed. The phone was my 12 year old daughters. She treated it like a baby. It had a hardened rubber case to avoid damage and I placed a screen protector on it as soon as we received the refurbed replacement. This screen protector was still on the phone. Now if my daughter had broken the phone in anyway it would have come back to me and I would have known about it. Its not as if my daughter can fix an iPhone screen or has any contacts to do so. I protested and asked to speak with the manager. He in no uncertain terms told me to go away and that my phone is now warranty void. I asked for evidence of their findings and was told to call apple care. I asked if they could open my phone and a new phone and show me what they claimed was different. Again he refused and said I cannot help any further you have no rights as the screen has been altered. Basically he was telling me to go away and stop wasting his time.

I called Apple care and raised it with them. They had no options to help me in this scenario. I'm expecting a call back from them today but I am not in anyway convinced they will help me.

So far over the years I have purchased a iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5 x3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s (this phone), iPad2 x 2, iPad mini and a Mac Book Pro.

I have filled Apples cash pot enough over the years and the level of service I have received this weekend was appalling. Add into this one upset daughter and this weekend has well and truly sucked.

Ill keep you all posted on what happens after today.......

2. UKapple macrumors regular

That doesn't sound too good buddy. I would have taken the same steps as you and phoned apple themselves, just wait and see what they come back with.

Was the phone purchased with a credit card? As this offers some protection to the consumer for faulty goods.

They should at the very least show you the screen which they are disputing is a non apple part. If you bought a new car and had a fault, took it back to the dealer and they tried to fob you off with saying non genuine parts had been fitted and refused your warranty claim you would expect them to show you the items they dispute, same principle here. How else do you know they are telling the truth?!!

3. Cymru2014 thread starter macrumors newbie

It was purchased on Apples 12 month finance deal which still has 4 months to go :(

4. L T macrumors 6502

L T

Did you make it clear that this was a replacement phone that you received from Apple? And let them know about what the genius had told you first time?

5. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

The St David's 2 Apple shop in Cardiff is my local store and I've swapped 3 iPhones there previously and never experienced such a poor level of customer service. My wife has also exchanged an out of warranty (their version of a warranty) iPhone 4 too. I would have been deeply unhappy at level of service and would likely be contacting Trading Standards. If you are sure the screen has not been replaced since it has been in your daughters care, you should proceed with this complaint. We are covered for 24 months on iPhone's should they experience hardware faults through normal use just for your information.

Its a shame you have had this experience as Apple are one of the best for customer service, certainly that I have dealt with. The phone's they replace with btw are pretty much brand new phones and I can't say I was bothered that some are refurbed as long as they work properly and as intended. I'm surprised a third party screen was on the device and they missed it initially before giving it to you! That is poor. I hope they rectify the issue.

6. Cymru2014 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it made no difference as soon as the manager came out he was determined to get rid of me. You could tell it in his tone it was like he was reading off a script with every sentence he said to me.

Lets see what the guys in Apple care from Austin Texas, who I spoke to, come back with today.

7. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Hopefully you will get good news today :)

I have always had positive experiences from my visits to Apple Stores, so I think your situation is definately an exception rather than a rule.

I don't know you personally, so I only have this post to go off, but I would suggest maybe being a bit more calm about it?

Perhaps the post reads bad because you are obviously annoyed at what has happened, but even before then you weren't happy.

"They replaced my device, but it wasn't from a brand new box, so I told them I wasn't happy."

"They said they could fix it, but it would take 30 minutes, so I told them I wasn't happy."

Both times, they have sorted you out, and even before you found out the second time about the non Apple parts, you were already on their case!

Like I say, you may well have been polite to them, and curtious, but your post doesn't read like that.

I do hope you get good news today though. Fingers crossed for you.

8. Cymru2014 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was very polite to them and didn't loose my rag, although I could have done. I didn't threaten them apart from asking what my consumer rights were. Couldn't get an answer apart from speak to Apple care. Actually I am surprised how cool I was beens I was still paying for the phone.

9. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Suspect there is more to this. I have always been treated like a King at Apple stores.

10. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Your daughter broke it and panicked and got it fixed without telling you? Could be the case.

Hopefully you get it sorted, the guys on the phones are really helpful.

11. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

It might also be worth asking your daughter again about the screen. She may have smashed it and got it repaired on one of the many high street vendors who offer a screen replacement service for as little as 30 quid, but was afraid to admit it to you. Believe me it happens. The phones that are offered for replacement come straight from Apple and are packaged so they can't be tampered with. I very much doubt a third party screen would have been missed, especially as this particular Apple store spotted it in under 30 minutes. Something doesn't sound right about this situation and I will be interested to see what Apple do about this. :)

12. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

Same here. In the USA, in the UK, in Switzerland, in Sweden. If anything I get more than I anticipated. For travelers that my wife and I are, those stores provide assurance that if something goes wrong on a trip, its quickly and easily remedied.

13. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

If they say the same thing I would take it to a different Apple store and get a second opinion. Hopefully it will work out and your daughter will at least have a working iPhone again.

14. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I can't see an apple refurb unit being such a mess. People say refurb units are actually better then new because of the high level of inspection it goes through before being certified as a suitable replacement unit. I believe the entire exterior is replaced with new parts, including the screen as well. You are essentially getting a brand new phone that has been personally checked by a human rather then just off a production line. Not saying a bum phone didn't slip through the cracks. But is a rare occurance.

15. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

I agree with you here about the good quality of Apples refurbished units. I hear nothing but nice things about them. As you said, though, maybe a bad one did slip through the cracks in the O p case.

16. Cymru2014 thread starter macrumors newbie

Shes 12 years of age and gets her money from me. If the phone was broke I would be the first to know about it. She would have been heartbroken, she certainly isn't a sneak.

17. I7guy macrumors G5

You have to consider all possibilities with an open mind, three possibilities:

1.apple refurb had a non-oem screen,
    2. daughter might have had it replaced.
    3. Apple genius made a mistake.

18. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

I don't think that poster was calling your daughter a sneak if it was broke and fixed without your knowledge. If anything I'd say it shows responsibility on the part of the child for resolving a problem on their own.

19. Cymru2014 thread starter macrumors newbie

I wasn't inferring that the poster was making that assumption. I was just making it clear she wasn't. Apologies if it come across like that :)

----------

When I spoke to the American fellow at Apple Care and asked him if he had ever heard of your point number 1 there was a massive pause before he said no not at all. He sounded very coy as if he wasn't allowed to say yes. :rolleyes:

20. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

I'm just giving my opinion
    Most 12 year olds would panic if they broke a £600 phone and maybe try to get it fixed rather than get in trouble.

Being realistic apple dump all their screens on refurb units and replace them with brand new ones, the chances of them using third party screens is zero.

21. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

So what did Apple Care suggest was a solution to your problem? Are they investigating this further and have you considered contacting trading standards?

22. Cymru2014 thread starter macrumors newbie

Still waiting on their contact they told me Saturday it will be today. I am thinking about trading standards. I did tell the American Apple Care bloke that I was going to call watchdog. I bet he though who??? Haha :D

23. cynics macrumors G4

It's idiotic they wouldn't provide proof of their claim when asked.

In my line of work I take detailed pictures that way it's documented and I don't have to do anymore work to provide evidence if asked.

You'd think a company the size of Apple would do the same. There are thousands of cameras in an Apple store. Lol

24. Samanosuke macrumors 6502

I've encountered this in some apple stores. Just depends on the person helping you.

Your best bet is to go to another store and see if they provide the same level of service.

Some stores in more seedy parts of towns are less forgiving than ones in more upscale places.

25. cynics macrumors G4

It's almost certainly flagged in their system if corporate is involved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.