Uncharted 2 wins Game of the Year at VGAs

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by jaw04005, Dec 12, 2009.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

LOS ANGELES -- The cinematic action adventure "Uncharted 2: Among Thieves" nabbed three prizes including game of the year at the Spike TV Video Game Awards.

The PlayStation 3 exclusive was named top game for that console and honored for its graphics at the awards show, which featured appearances from Stevie Wonder, Green Day and Jack Black. Snoop Dogg and The Bravery performed.

Wonder presented the best music game award, won by "The Beatles: Rock Band," and called for more titles accessible to the disabled. Jake Gyllenhaal promoted his movie based on the "Prince of Persia" games, due out next summer.

The show also featured new previews of upcoming titles, including "Medal of Honor," "Batman: Arkham Asylum 2," "The Force Unleashed 2" and "Halo Reach."

http://www.seattlepi.com/business/1700ap_us_spike_game_awards.html

Other winners:

Game of the Year: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
    Studio of the Year: Rocksteady Studios
    Best Independent Game Fueld by Dew: Flower
    Best Xbox 360 Game: Left 4 Dead 2
    Best PS3 Game: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
    Best Wii Game: New Super Mario Bros. Wii
    Best PC Game: Dragon Age: Origins
    Best Handheld Game: Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
    Best Shooter: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
    Best Fighting Game: Street Fighter IV
    Best Action Adventure Game: Assassin's Creed II
    Best RPG: Dragon Age: Origins
    Best Multiplayer Game: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
    Best Individual Sports Game: UFC 2009 Undisputed
    Best Team Sports Game: NHL 10
    Best Driving Game: Forza Motorsport 3
    Best Music Game: The Beatles: Rock Band
    Best Soundtrack: DJ Hero
    Best Original Score: Halo 3: ODST
    Best Graphics: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
    Best Game Based On A Movie/TV Show: South Park Let's Go Tower Defense Play!
    Best Performance By A Human Female: Megan Fox as Mikaela Banes in Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
    Best Performance By A Human Male: Hugh Jackman as Wolverine in X-Men Origins: Wolverine
    Best Cast: X-Men Origins: Wolverine
    Best Voice: Jack Black for the voice of Eddie Riggs in Brütal Legend
    Best Downloadable Game: Shadow Complex
    Best DLC: Grand Theft Auto IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony
    Most Anticipated Game of 2010: God of War III

Good for Sony.

2. Nuck81 macrumors regular

The VGA's are usually a huge joke. But this year I can't disagree with much, Except maybe best Racer being Forza. My vote is Need For Speed Shift, but I don't own a 360 so can't really say....

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Garbage, besides Uncharted 2 GOTY, Rocksteady and Flower(should of won for best downloadable game) winning.

Seriously...Megan Fox/Hugh Jackman beating out Mark Hamil and Nolan North:rolleyes:

Bless

4. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Lol, i was about to post the same thing. I love Shift, its probably the most fun i've had in a racing game. I got my sister a copy of Forza 3 and an Elite for christmas so once i get some quality time with it i may change my mind. Too bad my DFGT wheel wont work with it :(

The rest of the list is pretty accurate, imo, but a few quirks. Nothing to get too excited about. Congrats to ND for Uncharted 2's awards, they really earned it.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Kinda predictable. As usual the game that won is the game I don't see me, my friends or my colleagues playing. But I can see why they all won, the sheer scale and work present in Shadow Complex makes me glad that won, hopefully it sets a standard and we see more, larger games on XBLA and PSN.

One has to wonder how a very basic but polished multiplayer like MW2 won over a dedicated multiplayer game like L4D2 though.

6. macfan881 macrumors 68020

Jack black geting a award also was pathetic i was really about ready to turn it of there. Seeing Teasers for arkham and force unleashed II were the highlights of the night. the disapointing preview was Seeing Halo reach i was looking forward to seeing something new but it looks like same graphic engine as in 3 and odst.

7. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

Popularity contest as usual - so if you buy into the mega-hyped over-rated picks (I'm looking at MW2 in particular) you will be happy with the awards.

Otherwise you will realize they are a joke, and see that money has now bought sales, reviews AND awards for the big names at the expense of any real quality or creativity in the industry.

8. Nuck81 macrumors regular

I remember all being excited and making sure I sat down to watch the very first one. It was hosted by Sam Jackson.

I can't remember the category but I know the first game that ever won anything at a VGA was Enter the Matrix. The second they announced that game I changed channels and have never watched another second of it since. I catch the premier trailers the next day on Gametrailers...

9. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Iirc, Halo 3 was built on an updated Halo 2 engine. They should really re-write it for this generation instead of relying on the old engine.

10. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Hey, is Reach going to use the lame Halo 2 engine too? That would be pathetic...

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I tried to research the Halo 3 engine and I can't find anything saying that it's Halo 2's. But it likely would be, just like almost every sequel out there. Left4Dead 2 is running on the same engine (though hundreds of updates later) as Quake 2. This does happen you know...

12. macfan881 macrumors 68020

yes but with the hype factor going into this trailer saying its going to be amazing etc. I thought the preview was a major flop. Arkham asylum 2 was a biger trailer imo