Unclear: is concensus that there will or won't be a Verizon iPhone on Jan. 11?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thermal, Jan 7, 2011.

1. thermal macrumors regular

I'm trying to get a feel for what the concensus is on this forum: will there or won't there be a Verizon iPhone announcment on Jan. 11th?

2. MallCop macrumors 6502

3. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

4. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

Looks like it may be the real deal this time. Even though Verizon seems to be making the announcement Tuesday, it still appears to be in collusion with Apple since Gizmodo did not get the invite (they haven't been invited to Apple events since the iPhone 4 incident last year).

It is surprising that Verizon would be the ones holding the event, so there's still a chance that it could be something else. But why else would Verizon have a special event right after CES?

---

Speaking of which, I'm on Verizon right now with a DroidX and a 1-year contract. I'm upgrade eligible at the promo price in May, but if the Verizon iPhone comes out sooner (let's say in February), is there any way for me to get one? I mean, would Verizon let me buy one at full price or would I still have to wait?

Also, assuming they release the iPhone on Verizon in February, what does that do to the release schedule? Will Apple have ANOTHER new iPhone in July like usual and will it only be on AT&T?

5. MallCop macrumors 6502

They will let you get one but you will probably have to pay full price. I still think the iphone 5 will come out in june. The verizon iphone will just be a reworked iphone 4.

6. tritonj macrumors 6502a

it doesn't matter, its not like its a different phone, same phone new carrier,, there really is no need to try to prove if someone is right or wrong, we'll know soon enough

7. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

It's been rumor after rumor for the past year, but this time I think it's certain a iPhone will release this year. I think Verizon will announce it January 11 2011

8. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

This time, I think that the overwhelming odds are in favor of the announcement of a Verizon iPhone. There are too many rumors from various sources as well as the whole 'Gizmodo snub' deal for this to all be a coincidence.
    Personally, I don't care and never have. I'm ok with AT&T for now. Let's see what having a little competition does in terms of them offering incentives for current iPhone users to stay with AT&T.

9. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

While I hope/think that it Verizon iPhone, I still haven't discounted the possibility of CDMA iPad given the timing. although I feel that Apple is better off just releasing CDMA iPad on revision 2 instead of at the end of this revision.

10. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

As of now, no one knows definitively....so there is no consensus either way

11. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

12. shadrap macrumors 6502

WSJ is who said in June 2010 it would come in January 2011. They also said production started in October 2010. I would say it seems they have hit it on the head.

13. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

They also said it would be here for Christmas 2010, the summer of 2010, the summer of '09, and the summer of '08...if you guess enough you'll be right eventually

14. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Yeah, its getting announced. Get your popcorn ready.

15. felch macrumors member

"Does it support your newly launched LTE network?"

It doesnt make sense to announce a non LTE phone when your trying to push the adoption of an LTE network. If infact it is an iPhone announcement I wonder if its going to be the announcement of an LTE capable iPhone5 to be released in june/july.

My reasoning is that AT&T is also going to use the LTE network which is estimated for mid 2011. The HTC Inspire 4g has already been leaked for AT&T. The iPhone 4 without LTE doesnt make as much sense as the iPhone5 LTE does IMO. I also dont believe that this announcement is for a product that is ready to be released, if anything it is for a product that will be released in the coming months since it is common for companys to announce things 4-6 months in advance to generate buzz.

So while it may be an iPhone I do not believe that it is the iPhone 4 since it does not make sense to lock people into a 2 year contract for a phone thats going to be replaced in the coming months.

16. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I think the biggest question that arises if the Verizon iPhone is indeed coming out imminently is what does this mean for the iPhone launch cycle? I mean, it doesn't make sense for Apple to release a CDMA iPhone 4 in February, and then turn around and launch a brand new iPhone model again in July. If that's the case, then there are two apparent problems that arise:

1) Those who buy the CDMA iPhone 4 in February would feel left out when the new model arrives in July. I mean, that's only 5 months difference! Obviously those who bought a February model would not be able to upgrade to the new one in July.

2) Similarly, if they release the CDMA iPhone 4 on Verizon in February and then ONLY release the iPhone 5 on AT&T in July, the same backfire could happen. Of course, Apple could stagger the release of GSM and CDMA iPhones, but that would cause it's own set of problems (like when to update iOS, etc). Of course, it could ease the pain of manufacturing enough iPhones to both carriers, couldn't it? I mean, if they release a new iPhone 5 on both AT&T and Verizon in July, there would be HUGE shortages I would imagine.

I just don't see either scenario being ideal for Apple or customers. Wouldn't it be better just to wait until July to release the iPhone 5 to multiple carriers and have enough time to build up a supply for both?

As a current customer of Verizon with an upgrade date of May 2011, I'll most likely wait until the summer phones arrive.

17. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

My bet is Verizon will be making the debut of the iPhone4.

Why Verizon is announcing?
    **The iPhone on Verizon is too big to announce at CES. Additionally, what in the world could Verizon announce that they wouldn't want consumers to know at the CES? I mean really, a huge announcement of some kind is coming...why not just do it at CES if you are the keynote speaker?

Why iPhone4?
    **Verizon might be a big partner and all, but Steve Jobs announces new hardware! If an new iPhone5 were in the works, Steve Jobs himself would announce it. Finally, I can't imagine a scenario on earth where Apple would not have their premium product on both Networks at the same time. Therefore, definitely the iPhone4 (re-tooled to work on CDMA).

When the iPhone5 does get announce by Jobs in June (my opinion), he will tell all of us the launch dates for AT&T and for Verizon. My bet is both networks will launch on the same days. Its just not good business to have Apple fans on AT&T upset with the Verizon consumers getting sweeter candy than them, and vise versa!

18. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

That still doesn't explain the adverse scenario of launching an updated model only 5 months after the current one is released on Verizon. I mean, will Steve have a lot of happy iPhone 4 customers who buy an iPhone 4 on Verizon in a few weeks only to have the new model come out in July?

Engadget says it well

"Speaking of, a word of warning: in your rush to buy a Verizon iPhone, you might be locking yourself into a contract you'll be dying to break when the iPhone 5 launches in the summer. Apple typically keeps its product cycles at around a year to avoid this sort of regret, but a Verizon iPhone launching in the middle of the iPhone 4's lifespan really throws a wrench into those proceedings. Oh, and speaking of contracts, Verizon is about to up its early upgrade policy to 20 months instead of the typical 12 (as in, you have to wait 20 months to get a new fully subsidized phone), so if you recently got a phone on Verizon you might have a bit of a wait before you get a cheap upgrade to the iPhone."

There's got to be another piece to this puzzle...

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm not saying you're wrong...but I'm having a real hard time finding any of those stories. Got any links? Just curious.

Don't brand-new amazing Android phones come out every 2 months or so?

How is this any different?

20. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Believe it when you see it. Its been this way for three years now.

21. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

1) That's not the way Apple does things. Most of their products are on a yearly cycle, or the the very most, 9-10 months. As far as I know, 5 months would be unprecedented. Even though it'll be a year between complete model refreshes, it'll only be 5 months at most between iPhone 4 on Verizon and iPhone 5. Perhaps from the casual unknowing customer's point of view, it won't be a big deal since there are still oodles of people buying iPhone 4's on AT&T right now that won't be able to upgrade to iPhone 5 either. But mark my words when the bi*tching reaches an all-time high when this scenario plays out.

2) While it's true that new Android phones come out all the time, they aren't normally the same model. Though there have been a few cases where customers got burned with a very quick refresh of the same product, normally it's just different manufacturers and carriers that release new offerings. There are new cars coming out all the time too, even by the same company. But models are usually refreshed at longer intervals. Again, you can argue it's still the same model from last year, but it changes things when it's being released on a new carrier.

22. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Yes, there is going to be an iPhone 4 CDMA for Verizon Jan 11, Steve Jobs will be there, it will be a great day for both Verizon and AT&T users :)

23. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Lol - I completely agree with this. There will be an incredible amount of complaining with the release of the next revision. However, the transition may be more of a 3G to 3GS rather than a * to an iPhone 4. Might calm down some of the complainers.

24. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Perhaps, but unlike the original iPhone price drop I believe that public opinion will not be on their side. Expect 90% of regular folks to say "Yeah? Apple's always coming out with new i-whatsits. Get over it." In other words, neither Apple nor Verizon needs to care about the complainers. If no one's on their side it doesn't turn into a PR problem.

This is much different than the 2007 price drop where many people agreed that those folks had been screwed. I strongly believe the complainers won't get sympathy over this one.

Remember, over 8 million people bought the iPhone 3GS in the quarter before the iPhone 4 came out. Did you hear a lot of complaining from them when the i4 came out? I didn't.

Fact is, the general public is actually far less concerned with stuff like this. In their minds 5 months IS a long time.

25. ScKcBc macrumors regular

IDK why people think there will be an all new iphone again this year. I guarantee it's the same outer phone with a few tweaks, just like the 3g to 3gs. They put too much into the 4 to just revamp the entire thing.

It will probably be very similar to what we have now, with maybe even better battery life, faster processor, better multi-tasking. I don't think it's going to be THAT much better.

AND as far as a verizon iphone, we already heard that a set amount of Iphone 4's were made in CDMA format last year. I think like 3 million. They will probably sell all of those and then in June release the tweaked Iphone 4 (Iphone 4 HD maybe?) on both carriers.