Undecided Voters

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Nov 1, 2008.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

With three days left before Election Day, there are reports of undecided voters as high as 14%. This friggin' campaign has been going on for 20 months. What the hell are wrong with these people?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would say many of them don't like either candidate worth a d**n and are trying to decide which one to vote against. Can't say as I blame them much.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree.

Agree.

Both camps change their tune repeatedly during the campaign to lure voters to their side. For some, about 14% it appears, change their view depending on what they have seen, heard or read most recently. Nature of the beast.

On a side note, I've known both strong Democrats and Republicans who have sworn by their candidate. However, when they go to vote, they do not vote for them. When asked, they simply say that when there were in the voting booth, they couldn't vote for their candidate for whatever the reason. So you never know until the fat lady sings as they say.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm going to have to agree here. TBH I felt like in some respect I was voting (I've already voted) for the lesser of two evils. Short of writing in my own name on the empty line, I believe in my decision whole heartedly.

5. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

Macdawg nailed down exactly where I am at this point. But I wouldn't necessarily call myself undecided since I've decided against either of the popular candidates. Now which alternative to cast a vote for?

SLC

6. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

A lot of analysts think that the Bradley effect is hidden among those undecided voters. I dunno, personally I don't think there's much of a "hidden" race factor, I think those who have a huge problem with race have already moved to the McCain side (next time you see footage from one of his rallies, try to spot a single black person!). I think that if Obama was white, polls would be showing 60 Obama / 35 McCain / 5 undecided+"other".

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The Bradley Effect is those who tell pollsters one thing and do the other. So by being undecided, they do not qualify.

Anyway, debunking the Bradley Effect in this election is Nate Silver.

8. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    this is what david sedaris has to say about undecided voters...

"I look at these people and can't quite believe that
    they exist. Are they professional actors? I wonder. Or are they
    simply laymen who want a lot of attention?

To put them in perspective, I think of being on an airplane. The flight attendant comes down the aisle with her food cart and, eventually,
    parks it beside my seat. 'Can I interest you in the chicken?' she
    asks. 'Or would you prefer the platter of **** with bits of broken glass in
    it? To be undecided in this election is to pause for a moment and then ask
    how the chicken is cooked."

9. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

I know, but Roland Martin / Al Sharpton / that Democratic strategist with the bad overcomb were talking about the Bradley effect and the large number of undecideds, and argued that perhaps the closet racist voters have moved from the "Oh sure, I'll vote for Obama!" smoke screen to the "Hmmmm... I just haven't decided yet" smoke screen. It's still a kind of Bradley effect, as the bottom line remains that they have in fact decided to not vote for the black guy.

10. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I still don't see how anyone could still be undecided. In coming to my decision, I chose Obama. My rationale was that the uncertainty of Obama is better than the certainty of McCain. That was about 8 weeks ago.

The more I got into the election, the more I liked Obama and the less McCain. Watching his and Palin's stump speeches only solidifies my decision. Virtually every line out of Palin's and McCain's mouth is a huge distortion of the truth.

FWIW, I have voted 60% Dem/40% Rep in my lifetime. I even voted for Reagan...twice.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well obviously everybody who is decided feels that the other choice is utter crap:rolleyes:

12. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

14. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

While I know that I am a true blue liberal at this point in my life, I am still torn inside between the Democrats and the Green Party. I certainly attribute my leftward political movement to the last two years of law school and maybe I have become brainwashed. One returning professor who has left the field of teaching law called the textbook writers of the Harvard/Yale/Stanford textbooks full on Marxists. :)

I am an older voter, a baby boomer, and I thought the trend would be that I would move closer to the middle as I got older. I look to my slightly older UC Berkeley radical cousin and his views have moved to the left also.

At this point, I am struggling with voting for a safe candidate that shares some views with me, or voting with a trendy Green candidate that shares more views with me who has no chance of winning.

15. iGary Guest

iGary

I just haven't decided who I am going to write in.

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Apparently one man's chicken is another man's platter of ****

In my opinion, the flight attendant says, "you can have chicken **** or horse ****, pick".
    It is different to be sure, but in the end, it is still ****.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

17. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Is Victoria Jackson serious, though? I mean... she's a former SNL cast member who comes across as someone playing a republican bimbo on SNL and overacting like crazy, and she says stupider things than the deranged McCain rally lady who didn't trust Obama because "he's an arab".

18. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I've been keeping track of the Associated Press this election year and to be honest I really don't trust them. Their polls have been lower than other polls. They are first out the gate with negative info about Obama and their reporting has been sub-par if not biased.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Conservatives sure seem to be holding their noses while voting this cycle...

As we can see, the enthusiasm gap is quite significant again this year.

20. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Conservatives have no dawg in this hunt

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

21. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Define conservative...

22. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

They ran out of "celebrities" who will publicly endorse McCain.

I always thought her dumb blonde schtick was just that. Too bad it was real.

23. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Reagan-base conservatives in this context

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

24. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Indeed. I spent several years hanging out at SNL (had a friend who was a producer) and that is no act.