Under a light load are cores in the high 30s running too hot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by underblu, May 8, 2012.

1. underblu, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012

underblu macrumors regular

Been monitoring the temps of my MBP while doing some light browsing spread sheet work and emailing.

Temps are as high as 40 and as low as 33 across the 4 cores. Is that about right are is it running hot. Thanks

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

unless your mac is shuting down its not "too hot"

3. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

That's actually quite cool. Idle temps average is 40-50 C.

4. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Sometimes while playing Battlefield 3, my CPU will hit 105C and my GPU will hit 95C. Of course, at those temperatures, you're going to see a large performance decrease, but laptop components are made to stand up to higher temperatures than desktop components.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Unless you live a in refrigerator, those temperatures are normal.

6. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

7. Muldert, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012

Muldert macrumors member

Yes, except that it won't. If a processor runs hot it just runs faster. More heat means more gflops. Also, more heat means a shorter lifespan. But it definitely, definitely doesn't run slower due to heat.

What will happen is that the hotter it runs, the more unstable it becomes. Your CPU will make more processing errors. But the max of the cpu depends on your single cpu. Every single cpu, even if from the same batch, will have different maxes.

The only problem that might occur is that it runs SO hot that you melt your logicboard.
    In that case, yes, it will run slower.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Agreed. I wish my temps were that low. I average around 50.

9. redache macrumors member

Actually modern CPUs will scale down speed to reduce heat output. It's a safety feature that has existed for a long time.

10. negativzero macrumors 6502

Errr no, more heat means the CPU runs slower.

11. iMacC2D, May 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Kinda making it all up as you go along, aren't you? Most of that is completely false. Now for some facts:

Your Mac is not overheating. The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C, GPU Tjmax = 100C on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel) They will throttle CPU performance about 5 degrees below Tjmax. If you're not already using it, iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)

The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks. The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature

For Flash-related issues:

13. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Maybe you should just use the MBP rather than 'monitor' it. If you feel any decrease in performance THEN monitor it. People these days have way too much time.

14. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

So instead of being proactive with my car's maintenance, I should just wait until something breaks and leaves me stranded? Sounds like a good plan to me.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Mac OS X manages your temps, fans, etc. without user involvement. It's unnecessary for you to monitor it. There's no "maintenance" that you need to do. It's not a car.

16. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Your analogy doesn't make sense. Unlike cars, Apple doesn't require users to change anything in certain time frame. If you think you analogy is valid then why don't you change your HDD, RAM, mother board every year?

17. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

For the same reason I don't change my engine every year?

----------

Admittedly the analogy was weak, but it still applies. A car's DTC system does a pretty good job of monitoring the components for problems (just like OSX monitors it's hardware and software components) and the onboard computer does a good job managing the components. But it's not infallible and problems do happen. Early detection is key in saving a headache further down the road. It can be applied to almost anything, even your own health for instance.

18. bogatyr macrumors 65816

It's a tool. You do work with tools and you have a backup plan if the tool breaks. Time spent monitoring your tool is wasted time. Especially if your tool is designed to monitor itself and, if it gets too hot, shut itself off without user interaction.

Keep backups. That's how you stay proactive.

19. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

To each their own.