Under Obama, suicide in the U.S. is at an all-time high.

aaronvan

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
The economic and emotional costs of suicidal behavior among U.S. families, communities, and society have become a serious public health concern.

“It’s really stunning to see such a large increase in suicide rates affecting virtually every age group,” Katherine Hempstead, a senior adviser for health care at the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, told the Times. Hempstead conducted a study last year that helped identify a link between suicides in middle age and rising rates of distress about jobs and personal finances.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the U.S., with more than 41,000 Americans taking their own lives each year and more than 494,000 Americans receive medical care for self-inflicted injuries.The CDC report reveals a 24 percent increase in suicide between 1999 and 2014, rising from 10.5 to 13.0 per 100,000 people. The average annual percent increase was 1 percent per year from 1999 through 2006, but it increased to 2 percent per year from 2006 through 2014.
So we saw it rise thoughout all of the Bush years, accelerating in the latter half of that Presidency. And yet this is entirely Obama's fault...

Last edited:

Nukemkb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2006
Columbia, SC
I put the blame on Apple. Specifically, the time it took them to introduce an iPhone 6se, or more specifically, a smaller iPhone that wasn't just an older model.

You can look at the statistics and see the correlation. The cause should be obvious.
I see it on the Internet - so it must be true!

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
It's all those Republicans who haven't been able to handle Obama's presidency. Perhaps some racist too. Your head can only spin around for so long before it falls off.

Reactions: noisycats

Jess13

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
Interesting and related Bush-Obama piece from November 2015 by LaRouchePAC. Real liberals.

Reactions: thewap

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Why is suicide up?

Let's see: Long term unemployment among middle-aged white men is a lingering problem. So is the prescription of powerful opioid pain medication. And these same middle-aged white men tend to keep guns around the house.

Doesn't really take a genius to predict what the outcome is going to be, does it? But let's blame Obama anyway.

Reactions: VulchR

aaronvan

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
Why is suicide up?

Let's see: Long term unemployment among middle-aged white men is a lingering problem.

But let's blame Obama anyway.
You're quick to blame Republicans for the Zika virus and just as quick to give Obama a pass on his lousy economy.

And the highest suicide rate is among teenage girls of all races. Most of them are probably daughters of coal miners and factory workers. Watching their blue-collar parents emotionally crushed and deliberately impoverished by the Democratic attacks on their livelihoods--NAFTA, TPP, and the War on Coal--was too much for these poor children to bear.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
So we saw it rise thoughout all of the Bush years, accelerating in the latter half of that Presidency. And yet this is entirely Obama's fault...
entirely? NO, but since he got us involved in yet more stupid wars besides the ones he continued then then increasing the numbers are his fault & hillarys.
[doublepost=1462148164][/doublepost]
It's all those Republicans who haven't been able to handle Obama's presidency. Perhaps some racist too. Your head can only spin around for so long before it falls off.
so those committing suicide are racist republicans? stay classy
[doublepost=1462148195][/doublepost]
Yes. All blame passes to Hillary on 1/20/17.
she can just say she "inherited" the mess ;)
[doublepost=1462148232][/doublepost]
Any solutions, no matter how silly, or is nothing more than just a joke?
how bout we end the ****ing wars?
[doublepost=1462148313][/doublepost]
Why is suicide up?

Let's see: Long term unemployment among middle-aged white men is a lingering problem. So is the prescription of powerful opioid pain medication. And these same middle-aged white men tend to keep guns around the house.

Doesn't really take a genius to predict what the outcome is going to be, does it? But let's blame Obama anyway.
you forgot to blame Faux news.

Unemployment wise, the democrats passed NAFTA & TPP so there will be even more suicides as TPP starts to take employment away.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
You're quick to blame Republicans for the Zika virus and just as quick to give Obama a pass on his lousy economy.
Yeah, that Obama economy is so lousy that the mall near me had to rip up their parking lot in multiple locations so that they could meet the demand for new restaurant and retail space. They even added a drive through Starbucks which is in addition to the walk up one they already had in their other section of the mall across the street. The new drive through one has a huge line of cars too..even in the afternoon. Oh, did I mention there is already a Starbucks in the Target in the very same parking lot as the drive through one and there is also one in the Ralphs Grocery across the street the other way? Four Starbucks within a block. Man this economy is terrible!
[doublepost=1462148877][/doublepost]
so those committing suicide are racist republicans? stay classy
That's not what I said. Which is why I purposely separated the Republicans and the racist categories into two separate sentances which you have now erroneously combined into one thing. If I had meant racist Republicans, I would have said "racist Republicans." Since I do not beleive that Republicans are all racist or that racist are all Republicans, I didn't.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
entirely? NO, but since he got us involved in yet more stupid wars besides the ones he continued then then increasing the numbers are his fault & hillarys.
The article makes no connection to suicide rates and war. In fact it says they started going up two years before 9/11. I would imagine there is some connection given all the soldiers coming back with PTSD, but there is no data here to support that argument.

Last edited:

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Tell you what:

Put together a plausible hypothesis that might explain how Obama's actions and/or inactions have caused suicide rates to increase. Maybe you think its his reported enthusiasm for gun control thats prompting depressed middle-aged white men to shoot themselves while they still have the chance. Maybe their sense of liberty is so oppressed by the ACA's individual mandate that they'd rather end their lives than pay the penalty.

Because right now, you don't have one.

You talk about the economy, but its really pretty good. Unemployment is lower now than it was when Reagan left the White House. The stock market is more than twice what is was when he took office. Gas is at historical low prices. etc. etc. And if you want to argue the economy could be better, then be prepared to accept the fact that Republicans have, for pretty much the past eight years, done everything they could to sabotage it. Not a single vote for the economic stimulus. Threatening to shut the Government down over b/s like the Planned Parenthood videos. Heck, the Republican Congress can't even pass a decent transportation bill. One that would let us all drive on highways that weren't falling apart. And one that would probably provide work for a half million construction and engineering workers.

Oh, and before you post any more nonsense about Obama and the economy, please explain to me what would have become of the quarter million or so people employed by GM and Chrysler (and their dealers and suppliers) if we'd taken Mitt Romney's advice and just let the banks liquidate those companies. Think that might have resulted in a few bankrupted car dealers and auto parts suppliers taking their own lives?

Don't waste my time with your nonsense about the TransPacific Partnership - because it hasn't taken effect yet. Neither has Obama's signing of the Climate Change accords. Jobs that got outsourced to China were going to China regardless.

If we experience a widespread panic over the Zika virus in the coming months, you bet I'll blame the Republicans. For the very simple reason that they refused the President's request for the funds that would have gone a long way towards preventing it.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Tell you what:

Put together a plausible hypothesis that might explain how Obama's actions and/or inactions have caused suicide rates to increase. Maybe you think its his reported enthusiasm for gun control thats prompting depressed middle-aged white men to shoot themselves while they still have the chance. Maybe their sense of liberty is so oppressed by the ACA's individual mandate that they'd rather end their lives than pay the penalty.

Because right now, you don't have one.

You talk about the economy, but its really pretty good. Unemployment is lower now than it was when Reagan left the White House. The stock market is more than twice what is was when he took office. Gas is at historical low prices. etc. etc. And if you want to argue the economy could be better, then be prepared to accept the fact that Republicans have, for pretty much the past eight years, done everything they could to sabotage it. Not a single vote for the economic stimulus. Threatening to shut the Government down over b/s like the Planned Parenthood videos. Heck, the Republican Congress can't even pass a decent transportation bill. One that would let us all drive on highways that weren't falling apart. And one that would probably provide work for a half million construction and engineering workers.

Oh, and before you post any more nonsense about Obama and the economy, please explain to me what would have become of the quarter million or so people employed by GM and Chrysler (and their dealers and suppliers) if we'd taken Mitt Romney's advice and just let the banks liquidate those companies. Think that might have resulted in a few bankrupted car dealers and auto parts suppliers taking their own lives?

Don't waste my time with your nonsense about the TransPacific Partnership - because it hasn't taken effect yet. Neither has Obama's signing of the Climate Change accords. Jobs that got outsourced to China were going to China regardless.

If we experience a widespread panic over the Zika virus in the coming months, you bet I'll blame the Republicans. For the very simple reason that they refused the President's request for the funds that would have gone a long way towards preventing it.
Exactly. Where were all those jobs jobs jobs bills that Bohner said was going to be the Republican's top priority? Instead they focused on 60+ nowhere repeal votes of the ACA and anti-abortion efforts.

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
The boom/bust cycles we've been having started after the deregulation of the banks, and with each bust people become discouraged, depressed and suicidal. Obama took office during a bust, so it is hardly surprising his tenure overlapped with an increase in suicide. The real question is how would things have been now if the GOP controlled both the Congress and the Senate over the last few years? I think the answer can be seen in the UK, which elected a Conservative government hell-bent on austerity rather than stimulating growth. The results was lowering the quality of life of poor and working class people, and because the economy slumped so much without government help, the income from taxes decreased and the debt went up (as every sane economist warned the Tories it would do).

We'll have pronounced boom/bust cycle until we regulate the banks better, and on top of that we face the march of technological unemployment. The questions is who do we want in power to manage this over the next few years? Trump? :confused: Cruz? :eek: Maybe Kasich would offer a decent alternative to Hillary, but he's too humane for the right-wing of the GOP.

Reactions: Huntn