Under Obama, suicide in the U.S. is at an all-time high.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, May 1, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

2. APlotdevice, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

So we saw it rise thoughout all of the Bush years, accelerating in the latter half of that Presidency. And yet this is entirely Obama's fault...

3. chown33 macrumors 604

I put the blame on Apple. Specifically, the time it took them to introduce an iPhone 6se, or more specifically, a smaller iPhone that wasn't just an older model.

You can look at the statistics and see the correlation. The cause should be obvious.

4. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

I see it on the Internet - so it must be true!

5. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

You know it will always end up being Bush's fault. :D

6. Robisan macrumors 6502

7. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It's all those Republicans who haven't been able to handle Obama's presidency. Perhaps some racist too. Your head can only spin around for so long before it falls off.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes. All blame passes to Hillary on 1/20/17.

9. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Any solutions, no matter how silly, or is nothing more than just a joke?

10. vrDrew macrumors 65816

That does it! I'm not voting for him in the next Election.

Happy now?

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Should just assume those without jobs are dead already to get these stats down. Works for unemployment.

12. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Interesting and related Bush-Obama piece from November 2015 by LaRouchePAC. Real liberals.

13. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

No, according to Putin's favorite anti-American stooge Thom Hartmann, the epic suicide rates under Obama are Ronald Reagan's fault.

14. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Why is suicide up?

Let's see: Long term unemployment among middle-aged white men is a lingering problem. So is the prescription of powerful opioid pain medication. And these same middle-aged white men tend to keep guns around the house.

Doesn't really take a genius to predict what the outcome is going to be, does it? But let's blame Obama anyway.

15. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

You're quick to blame Republicans for the Zika virus and just as quick to give Obama a pass on his lousy economy.

And the highest suicide rate is among teenage girls of all races. Most of them are probably daughters of coal miners and factory workers. Watching their blue-collar parents emotionally crushed and deliberately impoverished by the Democratic attacks on their livelihoods--NAFTA, TPP, and the War on Coal--was too much for these poor children to bear.

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    The economy has now recovered back to pre-2008 levels. The dollar is strong. It took awhile for the middle of the market to catch up, but it finally did.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

entirely? NO, but since he got us involved in yet more stupid wars besides the ones he continued then then increasing the numbers are his fault & hillarys.
    --- Post Merged, May 1, 2016 ---
    so those committing suicide are racist republicans? stay classy
    she can just say she "inherited" the mess ;)
    how bout we end the ****ing wars?
    you forgot to blame Faux news.

Unemployment wise, the democrats passed NAFTA & TPP so there will be even more suicides as TPP starts to take employment away.

18. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yeah, that Obama economy is so lousy that the mall near me had to rip up their parking lot in multiple locations so that they could meet the demand for new restaurant and retail space. They even added a drive through Starbucks which is in addition to the walk up one they already had in their other section of the mall across the street. The new drive through one has a huge line of cars too..even in the afternoon. Oh, did I mention there is already a Starbucks in the Target in the very same parking lot as the drive through one and there is also one in the Ralphs Grocery across the street the other way? Four Starbucks within a block. Man this economy is terrible!
    That's not what I said. Which is why I purposely separated the Republicans and the racist categories into two separate sentances which you have now erroneously combined into one thing. If I had meant racist Republicans, I would have said "racist Republicans." Since I do not beleive that Republicans are all racist or that racist are all Republicans, I didn't.

19. APlotdevice, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The article makes no connection to suicide rates and war. In fact it says they started going up two years before 9/11. I would imagine there is some connection given all the soldiers coming back with PTSD, but there is no data here to support that argument.

20. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Tell you what:

Put together a plausible hypothesis that might explain how Obama's actions and/or inactions have caused suicide rates to increase. Maybe you think its his reported enthusiasm for gun control thats prompting depressed middle-aged white men to shoot themselves while they still have the chance. Maybe their sense of liberty is so oppressed by the ACA's individual mandate that they'd rather end their lives than pay the penalty.

Because right now, you don't have one.

You talk about the economy, but its really pretty good. Unemployment is lower now than it was when Reagan left the White House. The stock market is more than twice what is was when he took office. Gas is at historical low prices. etc. etc. And if you want to argue the economy could be better, then be prepared to accept the fact that Republicans have, for pretty much the past eight years, done everything they could to sabotage it. Not a single vote for the economic stimulus. Threatening to shut the Government down over b/s like the Planned Parenthood videos. Heck, the Republican Congress can't even pass a decent transportation bill. One that would let us all drive on highways that weren't falling apart. And one that would probably provide work for a half million construction and engineering workers.

Oh, and before you post any more nonsense about Obama and the economy, please explain to me what would have become of the quarter million or so people employed by GM and Chrysler (and their dealers and suppliers) if we'd taken Mitt Romney's advice and just let the banks liquidate those companies. Think that might have resulted in a few bankrupted car dealers and auto parts suppliers taking their own lives?

Don't waste my time with your nonsense about the TransPacific Partnership - because it hasn't taken effect yet. Neither has Obama's signing of the Climate Change accords. Jobs that got outsourced to China were going to China regardless.

If we experience a widespread panic over the Zika virus in the coming months, you bet I'll blame the Republicans. For the very simple reason that they refused the President's request for the funds that would have gone a long way towards preventing it.

21. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Exactly. Where were all those jobs jobs jobs bills that Bohner said was going to be the Republican's top priority? Instead they focused on 60+ nowhere repeal votes of the ACA and anti-abortion efforts.

22. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

It's a sign of the times, not the personal fault of Obama lol.

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The boom/bust cycles we've been having started after the deregulation of the banks, and with each bust people become discouraged, depressed and suicidal. Obama took office during a bust, so it is hardly surprising his tenure overlapped with an increase in suicide. The real question is how would things have been now if the GOP controlled both the Congress and the Senate over the last few years? I think the answer can be seen in the UK, which elected a Conservative government hell-bent on austerity rather than stimulating growth. The results was lowering the quality of life of poor and working class people, and because the economy slumped so much without government help, the income from taxes decreased and the debt went up (as every sane economist warned the Tories it would do).

We'll have pronounced boom/bust cycle until we regulate the banks better, and on top of that we face the march of technological unemployment. The questions is who do we want in power to manage this over the next few years? Trump? :confused: Cruz? :eek: Maybe Kasich would offer a decent alternative to Hillary, but he's too humane for the right-wing of the GOP.

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Under Obama? Just another bs thread from one of MRs prolific partisan BS Artists