Under pressure from Trump, Israel bans Reps. Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib from visiting country

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by benshive, Aug 15, 2019 at 8:34 AM.

1. benshive macrumors regular

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

4. raqball macrumors 68000

5. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

I see it because they were invited by Palestinians.

It isn't a good look, because it's a very blatant reminder of the second class status of the Palestinians.

Imagine the reverse.

6. benshive, Aug 15, 2019 at 8:51 AM
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 8:58 AM

benshive thread starter macrumors regular

Not really much of a problem. I just find it funny that Trump is flippantly throwing around pretty serious accusations and proposing banning based on a difference of opinion. Both SJW tactics, used against him even.

7. itsmemuffins macrumors 68040

itsmemuffins

I can’t blame them but I think it’s the wrong move. Trump isn’t going to be in power forever. If the Democrats ever get back into the White House they might punish Israel for this.

8. Rigby macrumors 601

A US president urges another country to deny entry to elected members of Congress. Are we really this numb that this is considered normal?

9. Solver, Aug 15, 2019 at 9:31 AM
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 9:40 AM

Solver macrumors 6502a

A nation should be able to protect its borders. Should a squad of neo-Nazis always be granted some made up human right to illegally cross a nation’s borders any time they feel like it?

10. benshive thread starter macrumors regular

Nothing about their visit was going to include illegally crossing the border and they're not neo-nazis or the equivalent of neo-nazis, which is kind of my point as to why banning them and saying that they hate all Jews are SJW tactics. I'm not saying that Israel can't do this, I'm saying that Trump's statement is no different than an SJW yelling "Trump hates all black people!"

11. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

No one is going to punish Israel. Many people can make the separation of it's current gov't from it's people. Another administration may have cooler relations with Netanyahu's administration in the future, but efforts will be made to be diplomatic. With 45 in the seat though, Netanyahu can do various bits of grandstanding, and help out a bud in 45.

o_O

12. Solver macrumors 6502a

Personally I find their political methods unethical and over 50% Nazi like. I wouldn’t want them in my house. I’d recommend the same to all my friends.

13. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

What methods have the two women used, that are not used by others of either political party?

14. Jensend macrumors regular

I’m against BDS, but I don’t see what banning these two congresswoman will accomplish. If they say something unfair against Israel while they are there, it will just be more fodder to prove that they are against Israel/Jews.

“They hate Israel & all Jewish people“

Can anyone show me evidence that they hate all Jewish people? I think the objectives of the BDS (such as right of return and a single state solution) would be disastrous for Jewish people in Israel, but I don’t think that proves that these women hate all Jews, or any of them.

15. itsmemuffins macrumors 68040

itsmemuffins

israel seems to be using some law against bds to stop them coming.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/report-israel-to-bar-us-congress-members-omar-tlaib-from-visiting/

“The official, however, added that “if Congresswoman Tlaib makes a humanitarian request to visit her family, the decision on her matter will be considered favourably.”
    --- Post Merged, Aug 15, 2019 at 10:15 AM ---
    Oh without a doubt. With out a doubt.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

if Israel banned trump the same people here who defend the democrats would be happy about it..............

17. benshive thread starter macrumors regular

Not me. I don't even particularly like these two but I don't need to agree with someone's politics to dislike when they're accused of hating an entire group of people when they've not demonstrated that they do.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

didn't bother me one bit when the UK claimed trump was not welcomed. the country can do as it sees fit. guessing Israel saw enough to deny entry or is kissing up to trump, either way their choice to make.

19. itsmemuffins macrumors 68040

itsmemuffins

I suppose this might be why they are not welcome.

Omar’s sorry not sorry apology for making anti Semitic tropes was for nothing.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/11/politics/ilhan-omar-aipac-backlash/index.html

And when Rashida Tlaib said the “There’s always kind of a calming feeling I tell folks when I think of the Holocaust…” who’s has a calming feeling when they think of the holocaust. Even the rest of her speech makes no sense.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ts-democrats-defend-context-republican-attack

And of course their continued call for the boycott of Israel.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

but but but but they are democrat women, they can say as they please and should be allowed to go anywhere .................

21. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

It doesn't have to bother you, but as pointed out, in future relations Netanyahu & others will be crying if there is any kind of reciprocation.

https://www.vox.com/2019/8/15/20806739/israel-omar-tlaib-netanyahu-trump-bds
    If you're going to complain about unfair treatment, then act on that supposed unfair treatment, what does one think will happen in the future?

Also what does that say to the Palestinian people that invited the two women?

22. itsmemuffins macrumors 68040

itsmemuffins

That is true. What’s that saying? Rules for thee but not for me?

23. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

I believe that same power has existed for republican women, or did I miss something?

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

democrats are free to tell Netanyahu to go jump off a bridge, goose/gander etc etc etc.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 15, 2019 at 10:43 AM ---
    well for one you missed republican women being denied going to another country and being denied, but IF you find that my answer is the same, their country/their rules.........

25. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

My understanding from various posts, that's what some democrats have done, and that usually makes them anti semitic. My question is the response to that is to turn around & possibly prove their accusations, that Netanyahu's gov't does treat Palestinians as second class citizens. That it cannot take criticism like our current president. Is it worth to offend the rest of the democratic party that has happily stayed in line with the expected responses to Israel. Is that what is really wanted, put all of Netanyahu's eggs in the republican basket, especially if 45 isn't re - elected? That can't be helpful.

Which is why I asked, I don't recall of similar instances to republican women. I was hoping you could enlighten me, if you truly know of such occasions. Otherwise that statement isn't much of an equivalence, and just squawking.