Understanding AT&T's Throttling Statement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blorzoga, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

AT&T announced that with the iPhone5’s support of 4G LTE, AT&T would raise the throttling threshold for unlimited users to 5GB from 3GB. I have unlimited data and will be getting an ip5, however I do not live in an area that has LTE, yet. Will my limit still be raised?

2. TWD98j macrumors regular

It should be, because you have an LTE capable device. Whether you have coverage in your area to actually use the technology or not is irrelevant. It's the device that matters as far as that goes, not your access to the network.

When you upgrade, you'll notice the change in your data plan from unlimited 4G (if coming from a 4S) to unlimited 4G LTE.

So yes, enjoy the extra 2 GB of non-throttled usage each month.

3. Dkorda macrumors 6502

Since the iPhone 5 is listed as an 'LTE device' it should be no different than a Android LTE device.

What really sucks is (in typical fashion) AT&T has the worst rollout of LTE. Of course other that Sprint, but Sprint is finally on the move too.

You should get an extra 2gb until the Data Nazis kick in.

4. biosci macrumors 6502a

What I want to know is what 'Throttled' means. Does it mean, I can't even check twitter, get a notification properly, check maps, or check email. I understand movies won't play well and take forever to load etc but the basics are what's critical on a day to day basis.

Throttled down to pre LTE 4G speed? 3G speed? (Wait iP4S saw 3G as '4G' right?)

Is hotspot enabled?

5. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

it means when you go past the 5gb on lte devices, 3gb on 3g devices your internet is slowed down to 2g speeds. maybe a little faster than 2g. i would get. 25 kb/-30 kb/s

sucks asssss

stuff will load usually. just really really slow.

6. Blorzoga thread starter macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Basic web browsing is slow, email works fine, streaming music is a bit dodgy, and forget about streaming video. It's only happenned to me one month, although I've exceeded 3gb quite often. I think it was watching euro2012 at work that killed it for me. I'm actually amazed that AT&T would actually raise the limit. Seems so unlike them.

----------

I still don't know why a major metropolitan area like Philadelphia doesn't have LTE yet. That's why I got a Verizon iPad. I get like 35 Mbps on it.

7. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Since you're not in an LTE area, you'll be using 3G. You'll be throttled after 3gb.

8. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

not true

my brother has had an lte device in none lte area and wasnt being throttled until 5

9. biosci macrumors 6502a

Since I have grandfathered, I guess staying with my individual plan with ATT would still be cheaper than switching to verizon on one of the new share anything plans. I think about $80-90 total now. Verizon doesn't have individual plans right?

Also, on ATT what's the difference between mobile share and individual? Individual allows hotspot, which I thought was the point of mobile share. Is that like a family plan with multiple phones? (Yet they also have family plans for 2 or more lines). ATTs recent changes just started confusing me. Sorry if this should be a new post.

Thanks,
    Mike

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That is false.
    If you have an LTE device you're getting the LTE throttling limit at 5GB.