Unemployment benefits not extended

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
WASHINGTON, March 26 (Reuters) - Hundreds of thousands of jobless Americans could face further financial strain in coming weeks after Congress failed to extend the unemployment benefits that help them pay the bills while they look for work.

With 14.9 million Americans out of work, Congress adjourned for a two-week break without extending jobless programs that are due to expire in coming days.

Republican Senator Tom Coburn blocked the Senate from voting to extend the program on the grounds its $9.2 billion cost should not add to the deficit. Democrats say it qualifies as emergency spending and thus does not need to be offset with tax increases or spending cuts elsewhere.
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN2616333620100326

Instead of a second thread, did anyone see the GOP refusal to allow committee meetings after 2pm, and the refusal to grant unanimous consent on moving forward on meetings while congress is in session?

Here's one of the first links when I googled it... http://thinkprogress.org/2010/03/23/senate-unanimous-consent/ or a more fair and balanced source... http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/03/24/republicans-use-objections-stall-senate-hearings-force-votes-health-care/

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN2616333620100326

Instead of a second thread, did anyone see the GOP refusal to allow committee meetings after 2pm, and the refusal to grant unanimous consent on moving forward on meetings while congress is in session?

Here's one of the first links when I googled it... http://thinkprogress.org/2010/03/23/senate-unanimous-consent/ or a more fair and balanced source... http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/03/24/republicans-use-objections-stall-senate-hearings-force-votes-health-care/
The Republican are bravely protecting our freedoms and liberties and rights by not allowing Congress to do its job of sticking its nose in our business.

IntheNet

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
WASHINGTON, March 26 (Reuters) - Hundreds of thousands of jobless Americans could face further financial strain in coming weeks after Congress failed to extend the unemployment benefits that help them pay the bills while they look for work.
Sen. Coburn's concern for the nation's fiscal position is both admirable and lacking in greater exhibition from Washington; in the same manner that citizens are prohibited from writing checks beyond their bank balance Congress to should be bound by like restrictions. Should the Democrats truly consider this measure to be "emergency spending," then there are hundreds of like benefit programs than can be cut to temporarily fund these unemployment benefits. I look forward to others in Washington to share Sen Coburn's spine and refuse to deficit spend for like entitlement programs. Americans can't deficit spend their checking accounts and neither should Congress!

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
Sen. Coburn's concern for the nation's fiscal position is both admirable and lacking in greater exhibition from Washington; in the same manner that citizens are prohibited from writing checks beyond their bank balance Congress to should be bound by like restrictions. Should the Democrats truly consider this measure to be "emergency spending," then there are hundreds of like benefit programs than can be cut to temporarily fund these unemployment benefits. I look forward to others in Washington to share Sen Coburn's spine and refuse to deficit spend for like entitlement programs. Americans can't deficit spend their checking accounts and neither should Congress!
I was going to address this but all I'll say is :rolleyes:

Government != people. They have different rules.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
If you can't find a job, even a ****** one, after 2 years you are doing something wrong. You aren't entitled to a job at or even near your previous pay scale.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Please do tell which ones we should cut to fund this one.

I'm with you if it is capital gains tax breaks? Any other top bracket tax breaks? Funding for the war?

If you can't find a job, even a ****** one, after 2 years you are doing something wrong. You aren't entitled to a job at or even near your previous pay scale.
Have you been in the unemployment line?

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
No, I created my own job where there wasn't one. Anyone who says they can't find a job after two years is full of ****, they can move here and I will show them a job, grab a shovel.
Then if you haven't, your comments indicate that you are full of ****. Not everybody can "create their own jobs" and current average job search is 6 months. A ****ty job means you will probably make the UE amount or less but tie yourself during the day where you cannot actually go look for a job.

You are also required to keep logs and contacts of where you looked for jobs.

So you are telling people to go start their own business, become under employed, or else THEY are doing something wrong. Pretty easy for someone who hasn't been in that boat/in their shoes/insert whatever metaphor you want here.

Agreed, but where does it stop? If I'm not mistaken unemployment benefits last up to 99 weeks. How much longer should they be extended?
That is a good question. But I am sure the answer is not "it is the workers" fault. We are in one of those recessions where job recovery is not part of the overall economic recovery, so we have not been in this exact situation before.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Then if you haven't, your comments indicate that you are full of ****. Not everybody can "create their own jobs" and current average job search is 6 months. A ****ty job means you will probably make the UE amount or less but tie yourself during the day where you cannot actually go look for a job.

You are also required to keep logs and contacts of where you looked for jobs.

So you are telling people to go start their own business, become under employed, or else THEY are doing something wrong. Pretty easy for someone who hasn't been in that boat/in their shoes/insert whatever metaphor you want here.
I see help wanted signs all over the place, I just traveled across three states over the last couple weeks. If you are making less than the unemployment benefit amount, good, at least you aren't leeching for two years. Maybe you should re-evaluate your life decisions and expenditures.

They are doing something wrong if they can't find any type of unemployment and rearrange their life around it if it doesn't happen to be a prime job after 2 years time, for **** sake you can't support people forever.

IntheNet

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
Please do tell which ones we should cut to fund this one.
There's a House bill just passed that has trillions in extras... how 'bout that?

I'm with you if it is capital gains tax breaks? Any other top bracket tax breaks? Funding for the war?
Problem with cutting corporate capital gains in a recession is that corporations use this money to fund new investment which funds new jobs. With real 10% unemployment and in some cases upwards of 13% at the state level, do you really want to force companies to cancel even more jobs and send more to the unemployment lines?

Have you been in the unemployment line?
Is that material to the issue under debate? Congress lacks money to fund further efforts now without deficit spending. That should provide the answer you are searching. It is illegal for an individual to write checks on a personal account without funds; that's fraud. Congress should be likewise bound. It makes no difference that said funds are to fund unemployment extension or NASA's shuttle program; the government has no more money.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
:mad:

How many times do we have to explain this to you? THATS NOT REALITY.

What is with this assumption that everyone is looking for the same pay they had previously? Perceptions change when you don't have work for that long.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
:mad:

How many times do we have to explain this to you? THATS NOT REALITY.

What is with this assumption that everyone is looking for the same pay they had previously? Perceptions change when you don't have work for that long.
Good then, in my travels I saw at least 8 job openings. Go get one.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Engineers shouldn't be pumping gas.
I agree, but I also agree with zombie. It's called doing what you have to do to get by. I recently knew someone who refused a bartending position (big cash) because she said she couldn't make enough money. I'm sorry, what does she expect? I know bartenders with boats in the harbor. They make a ton of cash.

Sometimes we have to do things we don't want to do in order to survive.

Peace

macrumors Core
Apr 1, 2005
Space--The ONLY Frontier
I agree, but I also agree with zombie. It's called doing what you have to do to get by. I recently knew someone who refused a bartending position (big cash) because she said she couldn't make enough money. I'm sorry, what does she expect? I know bartenders with boats in the harbor. They make a ton of cash.

Sometimes we have to do things we don't want to do in order to survive.
Yup. Bartenders and waiters in upper class establishments can and do make a LOT of money.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I'm not talking about myself, I'm in college.

You realize localized anecdotal evidence is even worse than regular anecdotal evidence right?

I seem to keep forgetting that this is one of the issues that the good ZA is lost behind the ZA that doesn't give a damn about reality.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Yup. Bartenders and waiters in upper class establishments can and do make a LOT of money.
In a down economy its not about making a LOT of money tho, its about surviving without having to be subsidized. The problem with America is that the government abstracts things so far that people don't see that they are taking from others in order to survive.

I'm not against unemployment benefits, but for 2 years.. cmon.

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
Zombie Acorn said:
Spoken like somebody who has no understanding of the realities of the current job market.

There are quite a few job openings in the Phoenix area - new ads on Craigslist every day and new postings on websites like monster or careerbuilder.

That doesn't mean anything though when you have hundreds of people applying for one position. A few months ago Krispy Kreme opened a new store in west Phoenix. They were hiring for ~50 positions. Over 500 people showed up to interview. It's even worse for recent college grads who have to compete with more experienced workers previously laid-off looking for work.

I have been trying to find a new job for months now. I am currently employed, but under employed. I've been submitting resumes and applications daily (at least five a day, sometimes more), and have only received one call-back for an interview. My girlfriend gave up trying to find steady employment a long time ago. The only work she can find is periodic office work for a relative.

I will be lucky to find a job at all before I move across the country for grad school (where my $15,000/yr stipend will provide me with a larger income than I could ever manage here in Phoenix), and even luckier if it pays more than $9.00/hr.

R.Perez

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I agree you should lower standards for job searches, especially in this economy but, you would have to be an idiot to take a job that paid less than unemployment.

I don't buy that leeching nonsense, we pay into unemployment for years when we work a job, a big portion of it is our own damn money.