Unemployment benefits not extended

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Mar 26, 2010.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN2616333620100326

Instead of a second thread, did anyone see the GOP refusal to allow committee meetings after 2pm, and the refusal to grant unanimous consent on moving forward on meetings while congress is in session?

Here's one of the first links when I googled it... http://thinkprogress.org/2010/03/23/senate-unanimous-consent/ or a more fair and balanced source... http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...tall-senate-hearings-force-votes-health-care/

2. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

The Republican are bravely protecting our freedoms and liberties and rights by not allowing Congress to do its job of sticking its nose in our business.

3. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Sen. Coburn's concern for the nation's fiscal position is both admirable and lacking in greater exhibition from Washington; in the same manner that citizens are prohibited from writing checks beyond their bank balance Congress to should be bound by like restrictions. Should the Democrats truly consider this measure to be "emergency spending," then there are hundreds of like benefit programs than can be cut to temporarily fund these unemployment benefits. I look forward to others in Washington to share Sen Coburn's spine and refuse to deficit spend for like entitlement programs. Americans can't deficit spend their checking accounts and neither should Congress!

4. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Couple hundred thousand less votes for the GOP come November?

5. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I was going to address this but all I'll say is :rolleyes:

Government != people. They have different rules.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If you can't find a job, even a ****** one, after 2 years you are doing something wrong. You aren't entitled to a job at or even near your previous pay scale.

7. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Please do tell which ones we should cut to fund this one.

I'm with you if it is capital gains tax breaks? Any other top bracket tax breaks? Funding for the war?

Have you been in the unemployment line?

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

No, I created my own job where there wasn't one. Anyone who says they can't find a job after two years is full of ****, they can move here and I will show them a job, grab a shovel.

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I will treasure the day you lose your job through no fault of your own.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Going to be a bit hard since the only way I lose my job is quitting.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, but where does it stop? If I'm not mistaken unemployment benefits last up to 99 weeks. How much longer should they be extended?

12. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Then if you haven't, your comments indicate that you are full of ****. Not everybody can "create their own jobs" and current average job search is 6 months. A ****ty job means you will probably make the UE amount or less but tie yourself during the day where you cannot actually go look for a job.

You are also required to keep logs and contacts of where you looked for jobs.

So you are telling people to go start their own business, become under employed, or else THEY are doing something wrong. Pretty easy for someone who hasn't been in that boat/in their shoes/insert whatever metaphor you want here.

That is a good question. But I am sure the answer is not "it is the workers" fault. We are in one of those recessions where job recovery is not part of the overall economic recovery, so we have not been in this exact situation before.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I see help wanted signs all over the place, I just traveled across three states over the last couple weeks. If you are making less than the unemployment benefit amount, good, at least you aren't leeching for two years. Maybe you should re-evaluate your life decisions and expenditures.

They are doing something wrong if they can't find any type of unemployment and rearrange their life around it if it doesn't happen to be a prime job after 2 years time, for **** sake you can't support people forever.

14. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

There's a House bill just passed that has trillions in extras... how 'bout that?

Problem with cutting corporate capital gains in a recession is that corporations use this money to fund new investment which funds new jobs. With real 10% unemployment and in some cases upwards of 13% at the state level, do you really want to force companies to cancel even more jobs and send more to the unemployment lines?

Is that material to the issue under debate? Congress lacks money to fund further efforts now without deficit spending. That should provide the answer you are searching. It is illegal for an individual to write checks on a personal account without funds; that's fraud. Congress should be likewise bound. It makes no difference that said funds are to fund unemployment extension or NASA's shuttle program; the government has no more money.

15. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

Engineers shouldn't be pumping gas.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

:mad:

How many times do we have to explain this to you? THATS NOT REALITY.

What is with this assumption that everyone is looking for the same pay they had previously? Perceptions change when you don't have work for that long.

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Good then, in my travels I saw at least 8 job openings. Go get one.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree, but I also agree with zombie. It's called doing what you have to do to get by. I recently knew someone who refused a bartending position (big cash) because she said she couldn't make enough money. I'm sorry, what does she expect? I know bartenders with boats in the harbor. They make a ton of cash.

Sometimes we have to do things we don't want to do in order to survive.

19. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Yup. Bartenders and waiters in upper class establishments can and do make a LOT of money.

20. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

Thank god someone has at least a little bit of sense. 2 yrs of free money is a bunch of crap.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm not talking about myself, I'm in college.

You realize localized anecdotal evidence is even worse than regular anecdotal evidence right?

I seem to keep forgetting that this is one of the issues that the good ZA is lost behind the ZA that doesn't give a damn about reality.

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

In a down economy its not about making a LOT of money tho, its about surviving without having to be subsidized. The problem with America is that the government abstracts things so far that people don't see that they are taking from others in order to survive.

I'm not against unemployment benefits, but for 2 years.. cmon.

23. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Spoken like somebody who has no understanding of the realities of the current job market.

There are quite a few job openings in the Phoenix area - new ads on Craigslist every day and new postings on websites like monster or careerbuilder.

That doesn't mean anything though when you have hundreds of people applying for one position. A few months ago Krispy Kreme opened a new store in west Phoenix. They were hiring for ~50 positions. Over 500 people showed up to interview. It's even worse for recent college grads who have to compete with more experienced workers previously laid-off looking for work.

I have been trying to find a new job for months now. I am currently employed, but under employed. I've been submitting resumes and applications daily (at least five a day, sometimes more), and have only received one call-back for an interview. My girlfriend gave up trying to find steady employment a long time ago. The only work she can find is periodic office work for a relative.

I will be lucky to find a job at all before I move across the country for grad school (where my $15,000/yr stipend will provide me with a larger income than I could ever manage here in Phoenix), and even luckier if it pays more than $9.00/hr.

24. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

I agree you should lower standards for job searches, especially in this economy but, you would have to be an idiot to take a job that paid less than unemployment.

I don't buy that leeching nonsense, we pay into unemployment for years when we work a job, a big portion of it is our own damn money.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Do you even know what you have to do to continue getting unemployment benefits?