Unemployment Rate Falls to 8.9%

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Mar 4, 2011.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't think we could have achieved this without the leadership of the Republican party. ;)

Link

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Republicans in Congress already doing a fantastic job, keep it up guys!

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I hope you're joking. They haven't done a thing to address the economy.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm with Lee... SkyBlue must be joking and just forgot to include a winkie.

But just in case...

Perhaps you could point to the legislation that has been passed, signed and enacted in the two months since this congress has been in session that could have contributed to the lower unemployment rate.

6. 184550 Guest

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I agree, that 8.9% isn't accurate, but nonetheless, the trend is the good news, let's hope it keeps up.

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Of course.

9. 184550 Guest

I agree, every little bit helps.

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Sadly, I don't think that is going to happen until a large portion of baby boomers both qualify for Social Security and feel secure enough to retire.

11. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

This recent numbers looks smashing especially the part where manufacturing jobs were "created."

But the country has been on a steady decline:

americanmanufacturing.org

[​IMG]

12. Pachang macrumors regular

LoL seems like MR politics forums is the only place that still believes the this stuff.

Passing legislation destroys jobs. If you want to create jobs you have to repeal it.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Couldn't you find a broader brush to paint with?

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Oookay... let me reframe my question then.

Then could you point to the legislation that has been repealed in the two months since this congress has been in session that could have contributed to the lower unemployment rate.

And again, the answer would be no.

15. Pachang macrumors regular

No? What did I say to imply that I thought republicans were doing a good job?
    I just pointed out to you that it's difficult to create long term productive jobs with legislation.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No, you said "Passing legislation destroys jobs." Your exact words.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

So our space program hasn't produced a great number of long-term productive jobs?

Public education hasn't produced a great number of long-term productive jobs?

Lord knows you can have a productive career in the military or making arms.

We know our government has done a lot to promote that industry.

18. bradl, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Okay. I'll call you out with a specific piece of legislation.

Prove to us and cite any work to back your hypothesis with the following, if they were repealed:

Americans with Disabilities Act.
    Air Carrier Access Act.
    Freedom of Information Act.

Just for starters. Please also cite and provide all empirical data to qualify your statement.

BL.

19. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I see with fivepoint gone others are quick to take up the mantle.

20. Pachang macrumors regular

No. They are not productive.

No. They are not productive. If they were productive Americans wouldn't be so badly educated.

Producing weapons increases nobody's standard of living other than the dictators that the US gov gives/sells them to.

21. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Speak for yourself. Not sure what yardstick you are using, but I know a lot of well-educated people who came up through public schools and state-run universities.

Actually, right, wrong, or indifferent - producing, deploying, and maintaining weapons gives thousands of people in this country jobs. If those jobs were not there, there would not necessarily be a pacifist equivalent, unfortunately.

22. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Poorly educated? Yes, I agree. Most comparisons to other OECD nations show America falling further behind but I see no evidence relating that to poor productivity in education. Social factors may be overwhelming.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

There needs to be a certain level of honesty in a debate for it to have any value.

How is it possible that you describe our space program as "not productive"? Do you watch TV? Ever check the weather? Use GPS? Seen any good pictures from Hubble lately?

From the Union of Concerned Scientists...

What Are Satellites Used For?

Satellites affect our lives every day, and we often don't even realize it. They make our lives safer, more convenient, and provide entertainment. Here are some of the jobs satellites do.

Television
    Satellites send television signals directly to homes, but they also are the backbone of cable and network TV. These satellites send signals from a central station that generates programming to smaller stations that send the signals locally via cables or the airwaves. "At the scene" news broadcasts, whether live reporting on a vote at the Capitol or from the scene of a traffic accident, are sent from the field to the studio via satellite, too.

Telephones
    Satellites provide in-flight phone communications on airplanes, and are often the main conduit of voice communication for rural areas and areas where phone lines are damaged after a disaster. Satellites also provide the primary timing source for cell phones and pagers. In 1998, a satellite failure demonstrated this dependence; it temporarily silenced 80 percent of the pagers in the United States, National Public Radio was not able to distribute its broadcasts to affiliates and broadcasted only via its website, and on the CBS Evening News, the image of Dan Rather froze while the audio continued.

Navigation
    Satellite-based navigation systems like the Navstar Global Positioning Systems (known colloquially as GPS) enable anyone with a handheld receiver to determine her location to within a few meters. GPS locators are increasingly included in in-car direction services and allow car-share services like Zipcar to locate their cars. GPS-based systems are used by civilians and the military for navigation on land, sea, and air, and are crucial in situations like a ship making a difficult course in a harbor in bad weather or troops lost in unfamiliar territory, where other navigation tools may not exist.

Business & Finance
    Communications satellites have the ability to rapidly communicate between a number of widely dispersed locations. This is an important tool, allowing big manufacturing companies and department stores to perform inventory management, provide instant credit card authorization and automated teller banking services to even small towns, pay-at-the-pump gas at freeway gas stations, and video conferencing for international corporations.

Weather
    Satellites provide meteorologists with the ability to see weather on a global scale, allowing them to follow the effects of phenomena like volcanic eruptions and burning gas and oil fields, to the development of large systems like hurricanes and El Niño.

Climate and Environmental Monitoring
    Satellites are some of the best sources of data for climate change research. Satellites monitor ocean temperatures and prevailing currents; data acquired by satellite-borne radars were able to show sea levels have been rising by three mm a year over the last decade. Imaging satellites can measure the changing sizes of glaciers, which is difficult to do from the ground due to the remoteness and darkness of the polar regions. Satellites can determine long-term patterns of rainfall, vegetation cover, and emissions of greenhouse gases.

Safety
    Earth observation satellites can monitor ocean and wind currents as well as the extent of forest fires, oil spills, and airborne pollution; together this information helps organize emergency responders and environmental cleanup. Satellites can take the "search" out of "search and rescue" for people in distress in remote regions. Distress radio beacons directly linked to a search and rescue satellite can lead rescuers quickly and accurately to a land, sea, or air emergency location.

Land Stewardship
    Satellites can detect underground water and mineral sources; monitor the transfer of nutrients and contaminants from land into waterways; and measure land and water temperatures, the growth of algae in seas, and the erosion of topsoil from land. They can efficiently monitor large-scale infrastructure, for example fuel pipelines that need to be checked for leaks, which would require enormous hours of land- or air-based inspection. Imaging satellites produce high-resolution data of almost the entire landmass on earth; such data used to be a closely guarded military capability, but now, nearly anyone with an internet connection can find his house using Google Earth.

Development
    Satellites are increasingly important to the developing world. For a country like India, with populations separated by rough terrain and different languages, communications satellites provides remote populations access to education and to medical expertise that would otherwise not reach them. Earth observation satellites also allow developing countries to practice informed resource management and relief agencies to follow refugee population migrations.

Space Science
    Before the Space Age, astrophysicists were limited to studying the universe via ground-based telescopes, and so could only use information from the parts of the electromagnetic spectrum that penetrated the Earth's atmosphere. Many of the most interesting phenomena are best studied at frequencies that are best or only accessible from space—satellite telescopes have been critical to understanding phenomena like pulsars and black holes as well as measuring the age of the universe. The Hubble Space Telescope is arguably the most valuable astronomical tool ever built!

You'd better step up that game of yours Pachang. Simply replying "Uh-uh!"might have worked for you in grade school, but it doesn't come close to cutting it in PRSI.

24. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

The unemployment rate falling: Great news.

Pachang: Space Program: Creates jobs. Nobody can argue that it increases unemployment... Actually, HOW would it in any way increase unemployment? The space program wants to do something, they go hire people to do it.

Public Education: More funding = more people getting payed = more jobs. What happens when a public school needs a computer? They go get funding, they go buy a computer, which increases production at HP, who see that they need to build more computers, and so they go hire out more people. (I just used HP as a general example, I know not everybody uses HP Computers- Hell, I used computers as a general example)

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I work for a state university in a rural county. The university is one of the biggest employers and contributors to the economy. There are houses, hotels, apartments, restaurants, bars, coffeeshops, bookstores, bike shops and more that exist because of that university.

Every year we turn out over 1,000 graduates better prepared to enter the workforce because of the education they received. I don't know what world Pachang lives in, but our public schools have been and continue to be one of the great success stories of our nation.