Unexpected scratch on iPhone 5 screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zinnix3, Oct 15, 2012.

1. zinnix3 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

Today I found out that I have a pretty big scratch on my screen. It was hard to find it because it only shows when the light hits it in the right position. Anyways I'm really sad to find out I have a scratch on the screen. This is my 4th iPhone 5 I have gone through. I don't know how I got this scratch in the first place. I'm really careful when it comes to stuff like this. My iPhone 4 never had a single scratch on the screen. I'm waiting for power support screen protectors but I guess that's too late now.

Anyways, I'm planning on contacting Apple once again for my iPhone 5 issues. The first iPhone I got had a dead pixel and anothe screen defect. The second one had a dent in the upper right corner. The third one had scratches all over near the slim tray. Got this one that looked great but they forgot to insert my SIM card into it so I had to go back and go through all that trouble. Not sure what to do now, I just want an iPhone with no problems at all. It's a really incovience having to through all of this since I mainly use my iPhone for college. You guys have any tips and what I could do? I know this is a long post and appreciate your attention. Thank you very much

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

do you have applecare+? If so, you could pay $50 and get a new phone, but other than that, I think you are stuck with the scratch. They may or may not except a return since it is suppose to be in "like new condition"

3. zinnix3 thread starter macrumors newbie

No I don't :(. I hope there's a way I can exchange it.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

they may or may not take it back. It really depends on what genius you get....I have heard stories both good and bad in these situations with exchanges.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Why though? The scratch that happened post-purchase is hardly their fault.

6. zinnix3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well they made me go through four iPhones and they almost lost my SIM card while giving me this phone. I'm pretty sure I didn't cause the scratch I keep it in a bean bag to keep it protected. I don't even trust put it in bare like that in my pockets

----------

I'm thinking of just calling Apple directly this time and explaining my situation and what I had to go through.

7. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

A scratch is not a defect? If I was you I wouldn't even bother taking it back and accept that it was scratched because you didn't apply a screen protector as soon as you got it. You can't stop it from getting any scratches at all, just got to accept it.

8. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Agreed. Sorry man. Unless you have hard proof that it was like that out of the box, they'll likely tell you to buzz off.

I do feel bad for you. It stinks to have your new toy have a scratch on it but as someone who: 1. made a special late-evening trip to Verizon (30-45 minute drive time) BEFORE my phone came JUST so I could buy screen protectors and 2. Called AppleCare and bought an AppleCare + warranty the day my phone came... I'm very limited in the amount that I actually feel bad.

Why should Apple replace, for free, a device that YOU likely scratched (on accident I'm sure) when people like me pay money for that coverage?

I somewhat hope they send you on your way with a recommendation to purchase an AppleCare + warranty with your next device.

9. zinnix3 thread starter macrumors newbie

like I said never had one on my iPhone 4. Not a single scratch. Plus I'm sure the iPhone 5 was supposed to be more resistance to scratches

----------

How long after purchase can you buy AppleCare? Thanks for your input.

10. kalexn macrumors 6502

Sorry, but unless you get a really caring genius at the Apple store I see no reason why they would have to take your phone back. I know you don't know how you caused the scratch (could we have a picture of it??) but it is your fault for the scratch and as such they probably won't take it back. If people took their phones back everytime they scratched it they would never have them in stock.

You definitely should get Applecare+ next time as it is used for instances like this. Also though, if you have to look really close for the scratch on the screen, it definitely doesn't bother the screen too much. It may even "go away" with a screen protector on it. My iPad had a pretty nice dent and I put ghost armor on it and it basically "filled" it in.

11. zinnix3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input, really approciated. Will it be too late to get AppleCare now?

12. hunterheath33 macrumors regular

You have 30 days after the purchase of the iPhone to buy apple care +

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I believe you have to let them check the phone out. At least that was what I was told by some Apple CSR. Either way, buying "insurance" after you screw something up is actually called fraud but to each their own. Something I've learned from these forums is that the moral compass of each person varies and personal responsibility is just a thing of the past.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

exactly what jessica said. In some weird cases or if you live more than 50+ miles away from an apple store, they will let you add AC+ over the phone.

15. kalexn macrumors 6502

No idea. You could go to the store and ask but they inspect it when you have already had it and didn't buy at time of purchase.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4575LL/A/applecare-for-iphone
    "•Buy it within 30 days of your iPhone purchase at Apple Retail (requires inspection of the iPhone & proof of purchase). Your iPhone purchase date is the date we ship and charge you for your order."

16. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Neither statement really means anything. A small bit of grit harder than the screen is all it takes to scratch. Anecdotal evidence doesn't prove anything regarding how likely a screen is to being scratched. Don't rely on "supposed to". If you're nitpicky about scratches then leave the sheet of plastic attached to the screen until you get an actual screen protector applied. Plan ahead and order your screen protector to arrive with your new device.

Further, "scratch resistant" != "unscratchable".

17. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

It sucks, but that's why I always make sure to put a screen protector on immediately, and it goes in a case, before I use or carry the phone at all.

18. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

This was my case. I live 70+ miles from the closest apple store. They let me buy AC+ for my 4s, wife's iPad, now my 5 -- over the phone. The first two were no questions asked... the latest one, I had to get a tiny bit abrupt.

19. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

20. zinnix3 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try to post pics when I get home from school. Thank you guys for all of your input!

21. BeeJee macrumors 6502

You should be happy, now you don't have to worry about scratching a "perfect" phone. After all it is just a phone, people act like these things are priceless Faberge eggs. Sheesh

22. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Couldn't you just insert the SIM yourself?

23. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I think he just means he had to go through the trouble of going to his carrier. That is the current phone he has; He did not return it.

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Everytime I have had a phone swapped the genius put my old SIM back in to test that it worked, but why would you leave the Apple Store with a non-working phone?

25. PrestonWard macrumors member

What is with all these people who think apple should replace their phones cause they damaged them?

It is not apples problem you scratched your phone.