Unexpected Upgrade to 4.1 on 3GS :( and a "Thank you" note to all.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by XieoBebe, Oct 22, 2010.

1. XieoBebe macrumors member

I am an iPhone noob. I've always used a Palm phone but I've finally decided to join the iPhone world when iOS 4 was launched. The first thing I did when we got the phones was to jailbreak mine. I did his after 30 days because I don't want to mess up his phone. Everything went smoothly, no issues and I am truly happy. So, last night, when I was syncing our phones with iTunes, something terrible happened. I synced his phone, signed-in his gmail account. When it was done, all his 375 contacts were wiped out to be replaced with mine. I have never been this scared in my life. His phone is his work! I really don't understand why this happened (we shared 2 phones and an iPod touch on 1 iTunes). So, I panicked and did a restore on iTunes without reading the restore instruction here on MacRumors. Well, it ended up upgrading the iOS to 4.1 from 4.0.1 and lost the jailbreak :( but he got all his contacts back. So, 2 questions: 1) How safe can I jailbreak his phone again? 2)Will a regular sync back-up all his contacts without going through Gmail? Never want to touch that "Sync Contact" section again. :eek:

On a side note, I have been reading MacRumors ever since we got our phones. I have learned so much about the iPhone and especially about jailbreaking. Thank you all so much for your advise (& the laughs) and for sharing your knowledge to noobs like me. :)

2. himni macrumors regular

www.Limera1n.com

www.greenpois0n.com

Those 2 are probably the easiest way to go on PC or Mac. Just right click the iPhone in iTunes and select back up and then run either of these. I use limera1n on my iPhone 4 and my friends iPhone 4 and neither of us have had any issues. Greenpois0n is just as good I am sure.

ETA: Get a MobileMe family pack (here) it's only $74 for a year and it will keep all your contact in the cloud so you never lose them again. I use it just for the fact that I never have to worry about losing my contact and calendar. Plus you get 'locate your iPhone' in case you ever lose you phone.