Unexplainable activity processes - NO HELP ON GOOGLE

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by Lukegh, May 22, 2019.

1. Lukegh macrumors newbie

Hello

Since switching over to Mojave I have had these same processes coming up on the activity monitor.

Albright
    Turkana
    Frenchy
    Geshurites

Ive googled all of them and can't find anything on them, but when they appear in the activity monitor, it shows that they are taking up a significant amount of the CPU.

Please see the picture attached.

Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Luke

Attached Files:

2. robbier macrumors member

I have never heard of these either. To be on the safe side, I would run a scan with Malwarebtes and DetectX Swift.

3. HDFan macrumors 65816

If you highlight the process in Activity Monitor, hit the info button, and select open files and ports does that give you the name of the application?

/Applications/1Password7.app/Contents/PlugIns/1PasswordSafariAppExtension.appex/Contents/MacOS/1PasswordSafariAppExtension

Etrecheck is a great source of information.

4. Honza1 macrumors 6502

These are suspicious. Malwarebytes, Etrecheck are very good resources which can point you to source of these.
    As HDFan said, use Activity Monitor, select any of these and use the "i" button to get info. Open ports will tell you where the files come from...
    Another option is, that these are some web "payloads" - like coin mining software. Do you happen to have browser running? Anything opened there? Any extensions in that browser? Keep in mind, this can be any web browser. Quit all web browsers and see, if that helps.

5. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

NoBoMac

Also thinking crypto mining malware. Have you installed some software that did not come from App Store or come directly from the developer?

6. Lukegh thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE.

Thanks for all the info.

I found out there are Crypto mining malware exactly as you guessed.

I know where it came from as well.

Got rid of it running scan on avast and going to be more careful in the future.

Thanks again, hope this will be helpful to others in the future.

7. fivenotrump macrumors 6502

8. SoCalReviews, May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019

SoCalReviews macrumors 6502a

....but I thought Mac's don't get malware. :rolleyes:

It's good to know Avast was able to detect and remove that malware for you. I have learned that the Malwarebytes free or paid version for Mac is another good one to have on hand just in case.

9. Honza1 macrumors 6502

Well, technically speaking, this crypto is not Malware = virus. This is nearly always installed - or run - with user permissions. Real viruses are usually stopped by OSX. But these crypto programs come as "payload" with some semi useful tools and are installed when users install those tools.

10. SoCalReviews, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019

SoCalReviews macrumors 6502a

"Useful programs, Useful apps, Useful web sites, Useful email attachments, etc. etc..." When has any virus, malware, spyware, ransomware, PUP.... or security threat of any kind NOT come from something "useful" that had been given access to your computer or installed on your computer?

If you disconnect your computer from the internet, never let anyone access your network, never plug in a USB drive, CD, DVD, external SSD, HD or any device with external data on it, never install new software on your system and never let anyone else use your computer to expose it to any type of external data or wired or wireless outside network access... THEN you might be ok.

...Otherwise you might consider using some type of security program on your Mac for those times when OSX/MacOS doesn't "STOP" the next threat. Technically speaking crypto software would be considered a type of PUP or potentially unwanted programs which have been detected and removed by most broad spectrum AV/Malware/Security software for decades.