Ungodly slow File Transfers with new Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aviationwiz, Aug 11, 2007.

1. aviationwiz macrumors regular

So I've been online for at least the past 3 hours trying to get this working. I recently picked up the new Gigabit Airport Extreme so I could have faster file transfers between computers on the network, and whenever I try and transfer a file from my mac pro to one of my Windows (one Vista, one XP) comps, it goes ungodly slow.

Now, my cables aren't Cat. 6, so that would explain part of it, but my transfers go at less than 1 mega*BYTE* per second, when it should really be going quite faster.

I tried using a startup item I found to set the ACK delay to 0, I tried an old program called "Broadband Optimizer", and I tried a hotfix to run on the Vista computer, all to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas to fix this?

Thanks!

2. MAW macrumors regular

forgive a noob's input, but i thought i read that if you have a computer in your network that's not compatable with the "n" draft that the whole network "throtles" back to whatever computer has the inferior 802.1 version.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

4. aviationwiz thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I finally got it sorted out by manually changing my Ethernet settings for Speed and Duplex in System Prefs on the Mac Pro. What a long night.