Unhappy with a moderate, conservatives aim to unite behind a single candidate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Mar 26, 2015.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015

jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Unhappy With a Moderate Jeb Bush, Conservatives Aim to Unite Behind an Alternative

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/26/us/politics/2016-elections-conservatives-jeb-bush.html

Jeb Bush is obviously not the only "moderate", but, he is the favorite example of what the religious right does not want. The favored candidate right now is Mike Huckabee. Tied for second are Perry, Jindal, and Scott Walker. Ted Cruz is a popular newcomer.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

3. JuryDuty macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

I still really like Huckabee. Don't know if he could win (he couldn't last time), but he's well-spoken and logical on many issues.

4. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

[​IMG]

Here is the graphic from fivethirtyeight that shows the approximate relative "ranking" of various candidates. Obviously not as quantitative as it looks, but, I like the way certain candidates rhetoric differs from their voting records.

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Jeb is way too boring, except for the closeted gay rumor I heard (seriously, but don't ask for a link ;)).

For colorful and entertaining, I vote for Pizza Man, the musical evanjelical, the Strong Reverse Mortgage wanna-be-like-Reagan Spokesperson, the I'm-a-Anglo Indian, I'm-So-Fat-and-Rich Radio personality, I'm-Against-Immigrants Cuban, or the I-Can-See-Russia Grizzly Mama. Any others who can provide entertainment? :):)

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

good. hope it works out that way.

----------

link is not working.

7. Robisan macrumors 6502

You mean like grifting off of phony medical cures?

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It's broken for me too. Try NYTimes

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

thanks.

makes no difference who the people want (conservatives). the GOP changed the rules & they can put whomever they wish at the front of the ticket, they changed them when Ron Paul ran.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...supporters-gather-signatures-for-rules-fight/

http://www.businessinsider.com/ron-...grassroots-conservatives-freedom-works-2012-8

http://www.democracynow.org/2012/8/29/chaos_on_the_convention_floor_as

the "choice" the people try to make does not matter to the GOP.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

11. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Bob Dole was OK in his day. As politicians go, Jon Huntsman seemed more honest than most, which probably explains why they consider him unsuitable to be president.

12. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

It's way too early for this kind of talk.

A LOT of shifting is going to happen during the primaries.

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Please don't tell me you expect us to wait until after the primaries to talk about this.

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

A few months ago, Dole actually told this lot of Reds where to take their brand of 'conservatism', and stick it.

Not much more that needs to be said, as Dole said it all.

BL.