Unhappy with Samsung U28d590d 4k monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by onebyone, Aug 11, 2014.

1. onebyone macrumors newbie

I am converting from a 27 iMac to a 15 Macbook pro (late 1013,irisPro) and an external monitor. I just purchased a Samsung U28d590d after reading many reviews about what a great monitor it is. Aside from something being wrong with mine I am not sure why people like it. I am running Yosemite beta and have it connected mini display port to display port 1.2 so I am getting 60hz but the overall color is just so washed out unless you are at the perfect viewing angle (slightly below looking up). I watched some 4k videos and yes at the perfect angle it is stunning but I need a monitor for everyday application. Anyone else feel the same? Or could someone help me figure out what could be wrong?

2. phositadc macrumors 6502

I've never seen one in person but I believe they have the much maligned "TN" panels that are known for having poor viewing angles, among other things. So I guess you just notice it/dislike it more than the folks who wrote the reviews that you read. I do believe it's a known con of the TN panels though, so you probably can't "Fix" it...