Unibody 13" MBP's fan is always running after internal hdd change?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RockTheBoy, May 30, 2011.

1. RockTheBoy macrumors newbie

RockTheBoy

Hi guys,
    I've got a 2010 unibody Macbookpro 13".Yesterday I changed it's 250GB-5600rpm internal hard drive with a 500 GB-7200rpm one..I believe I installed everything right like I've watched from youtube before, I did everthing same like on this link,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoHNcjCyAvU&feature=related

After mounting the hard drive into MBP and installing snow leopard on it, I've realized that MBP fan is running with no stop!It's always running without a breathe! Even my system was installed perfect and hard drive is brand new! I've searched on web and I'm suspicious about 2 things.

1)SMC
    2)Thermal sensor

Did anybody come up against this issue?If yes, how can I solve it ??
    Waiting for your helpful answers..

2. kolax macrumors G3

The fan should always be running (at around 2000rpm).

Try resetting the SMC if the fans are running full speed constantly, and keep an eye on the temperatures.

3. RockTheBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

RockTheBoy

The tempreture is 55ºC and the fan is running over 2000 rpm.I know the fan must always run but it was not running full tempo like this.After hard drive change this is (non-stop 2000 rpm fan speed) is really noisy to me,it wasn't running always like this at 2000 rpm, it has to take a rest.This kind of fan spinning and more was only happening after long hours of working with pro-audio softwares or playing Warcraft which also makes a lot heat..

If you say reset Smc, ok I can try it, but I don't know how am I gonna do that?
    How can I reset SMC?

And what about the other suspicious case,Thermal sensor?

4. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

You know, my 13 inch macbook pro 2011 always runs like ~2000 rpm that's the slow setting. When it actually heats up it goes to like 6-7000 rpm

5. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Are you sure its the fan you are hearing, and not the sound of the new, faster, noisier hard drive you just installed? The MBP's fan is designed to always run at around 2000rpm and to ramp up during heavy usage. If the fans are still slowly spinning at 2000rpm, yet your MBP sounds louder, then its your new hard drive making that noise.

6. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Your fan was always running at 2000 RPM. If it's still at 2000 RPM, it's the new HDD, which will be slightly louder than the original one.

8. RockTheBoy, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011

RockTheBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

RockTheBoy

Thanks guys for your ideas..
    Well I reset SMC , but nothing has changed.So you may be right,it may be the new Hdd's sound.But anyway, I'll gonna install the old hdd again and later the new one for comparing noise and heat today.I'll write down the results here ;) Let the experiments begin :p

9. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

If your fans are running at 2000 RPM and you hear audible noise then it's your new HDD. No experiments needed.

10. RockTheBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

RockTheBoy

Haha, too late kobyh, I've already done it :D
    You're right, it's all new HDD's sound.The fan is blowing the hot air and of course the inner noise outside the case..Now that's another thing.If you're suspicious about your fan, think twice.Maybe it's another components fault and you're blaming the wrong component,it's called "fan"..

So how can I minimize my interior 500Gb 7200 rpm Seagate harddisk eventhough it's not really noisy, but I want it to be less noisy, as my stock hitachi 250 Gb harddrive?Any opinions or experiences?

11. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

There really is no way to quiet it. Just make sure it's secured as possible.

12. RockTheBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

RockTheBoy

Yeah it's all secured, all the parts and screws are tight..Hmmm it seems I'm gonna get into this sound even I don't want to...

13. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

I find my hitachi 500gb 7200rpm is not really any noisier than the stock drive. Not that it might help you at this point

14. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't think there's a whole lot you can do to quiet it. You could maybe return it and look around for drives that are known to be quieter. That's about it though!

15. bigdogn12 macrumors member

16. RockTheBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

RockTheBoy

So gimme the money ;)