Unibody Macbook Pro 15 (late 2008) trackpad and keyboard not working anymore

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chinatownracer, Mar 25, 2009.

1. chinatownracer macrumors newbie

For some reason i purchased this three weeks ago. Everything was working fine. However today i guess i closed the lid and then when i opened it, the computer didn't wake up. So i just held the power button and restarted. It booted into Leopard fine but now the trackpad and keyboard don't work....

The trackpad and keyboard seem to be fine when i hold the option key too choose what volume to boot from. It seems for some reason the keyboard and trackpad lose its function once it boots into leopard.

I looked up forums and tried numerous things like VRAM wipes, SMC reset, tried external keyboard and mouse and they only work up until it actually boots into the leopard OS. Tried going through a hub and same problem.

Any problems? I tried to boot from the Leopard DVD and for some reason all it does is just brings me to the login info. And of course i can't get pass that because the keyboard doesn't work along with the trackpad.

2. crewrules101 macrumors member

Take computer apart

Did you at any point open up your laptop, spill anything on it, have a power surge?

You shouldnt be able to disconnect anything from the innards of your computer. Try putting the OS X install disk in, and holding down the "C" button before you push the power button. The computer should recognize that it needs to boot from another drive. From the sound of what you posted your computer recognizes the keyboard before the OS starts. If any of this does not work, I always say "when in doubt, call/take it to Apple.

Cheers

3. chinatownracer thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i actually left he OSX disk that came with laptop back at home. I'm at college right now and i borrowed somebody else's install disk. Found out that the newer 10.5.6 needs the newer 10.5.5 disks and the one i had was 10.5.2 which lacks drivers of some sort to recognize. I'll go home this weekend to see if i can do a backup through the install to save some files and do a restore. Its just so frustrating because i can boot up and everything and i can't get past the login screen.......:(

but is there any reason why the trackpad and keyboard doesn't work when booting into leopard?

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

if i had to take a stab in the dark it sounds like something is "missing." whatever leopard uses to accept mouse and keyboard commands has disappeared. i would say a permission most likely. a guy on another thread was having a similar problem with his iSight. so that would be my guess. you just need to do an archive and install.

5. chinatownracer thread starter macrumors newbie

so if i just archive my HD through the OSX disk and reinstall Leopard do you think everything would be back to normal?

...this is frustrating right into the last month of classes where things start to get intense and this makes things more difficult.

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

assuming that it is the permissions it should because an archive and install resets most of those. if not you should back up your hdd and do a complete erase and install because that resets EVERYTHING!

7. chinatownracer thread starter macrumors newbie

haha i hope your right. thanks again for the tip. just have to last the rest of the week before i go home for the weekend. luckily i don't have any papers or anything important due for the rest of the week...

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

yea i know what thats like. good luck man hope it all works out for you.

oh and let me know how it goes.

9. chinatownracer thread starter macrumors newbie

will do. ahh oh well i guess less procrastination now and more focus on the books...:D

10. chinatownracer thread starter macrumors newbie

update: so i found a leopard disc that was current for the unibodys and did the archive and install and everything is up and running. realized must've been a file i changed when i tried to get my macbook to recognize my iphone in dfu mode...:D

11. jball66 macrumors newbie

Trackpad problems

After installing memory, my trackpad and keyboard quit working completely. Scared me fairly bad...macbook pro unibody late 2008 recent purchase. The fix is that there is a small sensor that came unplugged...happened quite easily because I didn't touch it. The sensor is located just above to the top left of the trackpad when your back plate is off, you can see it. Just plugged it in and everything worked great!!