Unibody MacBook Safari color fades to black and white

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by runandsurf09, Jul 14, 2009.

1. runandsurf09 macrumors newbie

I have a Unibody MacBook and when using safari the color of the images fades to black and white. Anyone experience this before? Thanks for your help.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. runandsurf09 thread starter macrumors newbie

No the battery is full and plugged in. After a restart it is fixed but I keep having issues with it.

4. CMelton macrumors regular

CMelton

I think this sounds like a problem I experienced earlier this year. It may sound like a long shot but have you looked at the contrast slider in the Universal Access panel of system preferences? I inadvertently hit a keyboard shortcut a couple of times that increased the contrast making some of my windows looking like you describe, where things like the background lines in itunes started on the left and faded away rapidly. Images had a funny fading effect too.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you find a solution.

5. Charles Ryan macrumors newbie

Hi, all--

I'm having this issue as well. The causes/solutions mentioned so far do not seem to be related, so let me add a few details.

First, the problem is intermittent (at least in my case)--it happens once every few weeks.

I'm in Safari 4.0.2 (OSX 10.5.7). The few times this has happened, I've had a number of sites open in tabs.

The sites open just fine, and if I don't scroll they remain normal. As soon as I scroll, however, the colours immediately desaturate. They don't go completely greyscale, but almost.

This applies only to the colours of the web site--not the entire monitor. No other application is affected, nor is the desktop. Even Safari's frame elements are unaffected. Only the content of the web site desaturates.

Here's the really mystifying bit: It's not even the entire content. At the bottom of the screen, in the bottom few centimeters, the colour fades from desaturated back to normal!

I was going to include a screen shot to illustrate what I'm describing, but like I said it's intermittent. It was happening half an hour ago, but I can't replicate it now. I have not restarted Safari, but I might be working in a new window (which suggests that closing and reopening the window might be a workaround--I'll try that next time it happens).

This might be one of the most fascinating and enigmatic (and, fortunately, pretty harmless) bugs I've run into in 30 years of computer use. Really curious for an explanation!