Unibody Macbook spill. Forced to fix myself... a little guidance needed.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TRSixxx, Jan 21, 2010.

1. TRSixxx macrumors newbie

my dog knocked a cup of ice/water onto my Macbook, I did the immediate shut off and took it apart and dried it all, waited a few days and it came on but the airport didn't work. I ordered a new airport card, installed it and now the computer will not power on at all.

I really don't think its the logicboard, but I don't know what else to check/double check.

I get literally NO lights, sounds ANYTHING when attempting to turn the thing on, tried the typical resets, battery, no battery, etc... nothing.

The only thing that works is the battery tester button on the left hand side of the machine.

If anyone has ANY help to offer as far as what to maybe check, please let me know.

I'd hate to have a totalled computer that I still owe 400 dollars on....

ARGH.

2. NYR99 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure you did this but after it didn't work did you recheck to see if the AirPort card was connected properly along with all other connections?

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

What model MacBook do you have, specifically? Replacing the Airport Card varies quite a bit, depending on which MacBook you have.

You mentioned doing the typical resets - did that include the SMC?

4. GFSarah macrumors regular

GFSarah

Please forgive the possibly stupid question/suggestion, but are you sure everything is making contact as it should in terms of the power button?

I've not taken my unibody totally apart, but I do remember from working on other Macs that there's often a little spacer-type piece that allows the button on the outside to make contact as it's supposed to on the inside to power on.

Just a thought ....

5. TRSixxx thread starter macrumors newbie

Fair question man, yeah... I did... but would a loose connection on an airport card toast the whole shebang?!

Hrmmm. Could be.... I'll open this thing up again and start checking connections...

Oh, as for the Macbook we are talking about here... its aluminium macbook 2.0ghz without the backlit keyboard.

6. TRSixxx thread starter macrumors newbie

The airport card was under the hinge cover on this model. I'm so sorry, but I don't have the box with me currently or I'd give you that exact model number...

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It sounds like the late '08 MB aluminum unibody. Removing the parts to get to the Airport card shouldn't have disconnected the keyboard cable, but if it's not connected, the power button wouldn't work.

I'd suggest a SMC reset. Links to the proper reset procedure are here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?viewlocale=en_US

8. TRSixxx thread starter macrumors newbie

Could you give me a general idea of where that would connect in at?

9. lmvo23 macrumors newbie

Same thing happened to me, but it was my cat and my iphone.

I kept it off for a few days, thinking it was dry, turned it on and it worked, then a few hours later it stopped working.

So I went to a shoe store and "borrowed" a few of those desiccant packs (you know, the ones that say "do not eat"). I put my phone in a tupperware with a few of those for 2 more days, and voila, it worked and hasn't stopped working.

My point is, it is possible that some part is still wet, so if the other suggestions don't work, so maybe you should try that.

10. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I take it resetting the SMC didn't help.

Anyway, it's connected to the logic board on the edge opposite the fan, between the memory connectors and the optical drive. There should be a bracket "keeper" screwed down over it. It normally wouldn't be disconnected when replacing the Airport card. I supposed moisture could have entered it, so maybe disconnecting then reconnecting it could help. It's a "locking lever" type of connector, where you flip up a latch opposite where the flex cable enters the connector.

11. waffle911 macrumors regular

12. TRSixxx thread starter macrumors newbie

Re-checked all the connections, pulled everything out... none of the water sensors were even red....

Anyway, somehow, someway it seems like something shorted out the 4th pin on my keyboard connector on the logicboard... so I'm pretty sure that this things going to need a new logic board....

Which is just swell, because let me tell ya, I looooove this awesome HP netbook.....

:mad:

I took some extremely detailed pictures so you can see what I'm talking about... I'll have to post them later because I can't find my card reader... if anyone is interested.

13. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Sure, I can take a look. Was it one of the pins on the back of the connector (where the spudger is being held in the pic posted by waffle911)? If so, I'm guessing something happened in the process of replacing the Airport card. If they're mushed together, you could try a piece of non-conducting material (piece of plastic something-or-other) and bend them apart. Sometimes, the components are more resilient than most would think - just removing the short might bring it back to life. Besides, there's not much to lose if you're looking at logic board replacement anyway. :(

14. lbodnar macrumors regular

All flat film cable sockets manufacturers insist on opening and closing the retaining clip using your fingers only and never any tools like pictured above (unless you intend to snap it in half.)

15. Paul B macrumors 6502

**** happens, I know it hurts. Next time don't keep cups of water around your expensive equipment if you've got animals around.

16. TRSixxx thread starter macrumors newbie

.... Wow, thanks. If only I'd known that before.