Unibody MBP 17" - Open lid to black screen or restart

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dadams1, Mar 10, 2009.

1. dadams1 macrumors newbie

Every 2nd or 3rd time I attempt to wake my MBP from sleep by opening the lid (or from sleep in the menu with lid open), the machine is either 1) Unresponsive (can hear fans - still running but no key response) and have to force reboot, or 2) It suddenly reboots on its own.
    Searching previous topics on this and other forums shows a relatively large number of folks with symptom #1, few with symptom #2, all with previous gen MBPs. In any case, I couldn't find an example of someone resolving it (other than sending to Apple).
    What I've tried: Reset SMC, Zap P-RAM, Repaired permissions, hardware test (OK), Disk Utility repair (OK), Tried 9400 & 9600, Disabled Safe Sleep, Removed some apps & startup items, etc.
    Has anyone had this problem? Found a resolution? Otherwise, it looks like I might be without my computer while it is in for repair...
    Thanks!

2. HungrySeacow macrumors regular

Have you modified the sleep settings via terminal? I changed mine to mode 3 to stop hibernation and this started happening. I set it back to default and so far so good.

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Another option is to wake it via key press, by modifying the sleep settings in terminal.

4. dadams1 thread starter macrumors newbie

It was set to safe sleep at default when I began using the MBP. To troubleshoot, I used SmartSleep to disable it and set it to normal sleep to see if this would solve my problem... no luck. I haven't tried setting it back to safe sleep yet - I'll give it a go.

5. dadams1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried just sleeping via the menubar and then waking by hitting the space bar (is this what you mean? not sure...). When I did this, it also made the computer restart, or in one case, just sit there and wait for a forced restart.
    Thanks!

6. dadams1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, to update anyone who's interested, I took it into a visit with a genius. He couldn't figure it out... sent me home with a replacement.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I have my computer configured to wake when I press a key. However, mine hasn't had a problem with restarting/needing a restart.
    Glad you were able to get a replacement. Best of luck with your new computer.