Unibody MBP > MiniDisplayPort to DVI Adapter > DVI to HDMI cable > Panasonic Plasma

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by inferno19, May 28, 2009.

1. inferno19 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

Recently I got a Macbook Pro and the MiniDisplayPort adapter to DVI. I then got a DVI to HDMI cable, which then plugs into my Panasonic TH46PZ80 Plasma TV.

Now, when I do this, it doesn't display the MBP screen in the native resolution of the TV (1920x1080). This is a selectable option in the default OS X display menu that only activates in clamshell mode.

I was happy to see this native resolution supported, but when I made the switch over to it, the screen was not 1920 x 1080 at all, and has a visible black border around the screen.

I've heard plenty about people using SwitchResX, and I tried a bit with no success. Idon't have the exact settings for this TV such as horizontal/vertical scan and refresh rates, and am afraid to hard-write settings that will not work. I've read plenty about overscan etc, but I dont think I have access to these settings as this is not a true PC input to the TV. I'm using the Control Panel version of SwitchResX, so I was wondering if anybody had any tips.

And also, does anybody know if I can use the TV as a second display in the native resolution of 1920x1080? I'm just curious. Something about having a 15" MBP next to a 46" TV seems a bit out of scale.

2. kyleaa macrumors regular

I connect my MBP to my Sony Bravia using the same cable combination and it supports the native resolution of 1920x1080 as a secondary display - I have never tried it with mirroring enabled.

3. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Your MBP should autodetect the resolution. My only guess is that maybe with all of those cables, something gets lost along the way. This might make your life easier, and maybe it will fix the problem.