Unibody MBP only lasting up to 5 days until a restart is required

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spinnerlys, Feb 8, 2009.

1. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Hello.

Short before christmas I bought a Unibody MBP (2.53GHz, 250 GB 7200 RPM HDD).

It's a fine machine, but ever since my purchase I never got more than 5 days until I needed to restart.

One problem occuring, on an off, is that after waking from sleep (opening the lid), the display is off, the sleeping light even indicates it (not pulsing, just glowing constantly). No amount of pressing the keys (even the brightness ones) changes that, nor closing and opening the lid again.
    I hear the HDD and fans spinning, so it has to be on.

Only pressing the power button for 5 seconds to turn the MBP off helps.

The other problem is that the system freezes randomly.

Once by connecting a 2.5" external HDD via USB, which I use regularly
    with that machine. I plugged it in, and went to Spaces and it froze in the middle of the nice Core Animation. No unplugging or keystrokes (Cmd+Opt+Esc, etc.) helped. Agian I had to power off.
    Several times the machine just froze by changing to another application, be it via Expose or Spaces.

Others I can't remember right now.

It's not abig deal, but I got more than a month out of my iBook (as an only machine, used daily), my iMac and weeks out of my former MacBook.

Have any of you experienced something similar and maybe found a solution?

Thanks in advance.

2. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

The same thing happens in closed mode when the MBP is used with the 24" monitor. Opening the lid from closed mode leaves the laptop display off. But in this case, simply going to the menu bar of the 24" and clicking "detect displays" in the monitor pulldown switches the laptop screen on immediately.
    Is there a keyboard shortcut for "detect displays"? If so, that would presumably light up the laptop screen when the MBP is used on its own.

3. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Ahhhh... I remember the olden days when you had to restart 5 or 6 times a day if you were lucky. Now if we have to restart at all we get upset. ;)

Aside from your problem, what's wrong with restarting? I do it now and then just to clear stuff out.

4. ruku macrumors member

i have a few problems similar to yours. i bought just after christmas and my model was manufactured only 8 weeks ago so perhaps its a newer model thing. anyway occasionally the screen will freeze and no unplugging or key pressing has an effect so i do a hard restart.
    i also suffer from the reported graphic glitches where if the machine was asleep and i wake it or even if the monitors have just gone into standby mode when i move the mouse it brings back the laptop screen but my external monitor goes into one of several states, blinking between off and standby constantly, into the blue detecting screen then back to black or into what looks like analogue tv snow??
    i have changed a few things in system preferences but nothing works. when i first got it home i immediately did a reinstall of the os so there really shouldnt be any problems. ill wait through at least 1 system update before i take it in to be repaired but im not a happy camper at the moment.

5. ValkyrieLenneth macrumors regular

ValkyrieLenneth

My MBP's best time was 13 days :D Then, i accidentally pulled the battery out without AC Power source.