unibody MBP w/"7 hour" battery - how has your battery life been?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheNorthWaves, Feb 13, 2010.

1. TheNorthWaves macrumors 6502

Oct 13, 2007
    I am seriously considering purchasing one of the new unibody MBP's with the new "7 hour" battery. Just a couple quick questions for you all:
    Do you get 7 hours when you turn wifi off, the screen down to 1/3 brightness, don't use the CD drive/etc, or does it actually last 6-7 hours in normal use (surfing web, screen really bright, backlit keyboard on)?
    Has anyone experienced a degradation in battery life after a bunch of cycles? I notice apple claims that the new battery will last 5 years, yet they don't warranty it for more than a year. That does not sound good to me. Opinions?
  2. silverite macrumors newbie

Jan 27, 2010
    It usually take my laptop to class. I have my laptop on with wifi on, and half brightness (sometimes a bit more than half). After three hours I sometimes have around 40-60% of battery life left (depending if I come to class with a full charge etc).

My macbook pro was ordered perhaps over a month ago - but my friend with a year old mbp tells me that the battery life will start dropping down further on in the road.

So I can say the battery is decent.
  3. kernkraft macrumors 68020

Jun 25, 2009
    My '7 hour battery' lasts 4 at the most, but that is wifi everything being turned off, including very dark screen.

I think that it's a disappointment. Don't plan on doing a whole days' work on one battery! Don't worry, you can always have an extra one - oops, sorry! You cannot!

Attached Files:

4. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mar 4, 2009
    United Kingdom
    The battery will remain in better conditions if you properly calibrate it every so often. I got around 5 hours with wifi/itunes/word/safari on and brightness at half way.
  5. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Dec 17, 2009
    I regularly get 5 hours with bluetooth off, wifi on, keyboard light @ 1 dot, screen at 33%. Watching dvds will decrease battery life to about 3 hours.
  6. ARF900 macrumors 65816

Oct 30, 2009
    Apple doesnt warranty anything for more than a year, yet people have 10 year old macs that are still kickin.

on my 13" I usually get about 5 hours with wifi, itunes, safari, and mail running, backlight on lowest setting, screen brightness 1/3. Bluetooth off

With no backlight, low screen brigtness, and itunes + pages running i usually get 6 1/2 - 7 1/2 hours. 4 hours of HD video playback with wifi and backlight off and screen brightness 1/2 way up.

Remember to keep bluetooth off if your not using it and calibrate your battery. I calibrate every 2 months.
  7. craigc1264 macrumors newbie

Jan 12, 2010
    I get 5 hours easily with everything on and screen at full brightness, and keyboard backlight full as well. When I dim the screen/keyboard, and turn some stuff off it goes up to 7:15.
  8. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Mar 27, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I get around 5 hours when I turn things down. The HyperMac makes this easier to deal with. :)
  9. npep macrumors member

May 7, 2007
    So, if real life is on the 4-5, maybe 6 hour range. How did Apple come up with 7 hours?

Macbook sitting on the shelf doing nothing for 7 hours?
  10. Puqq macrumors regular

Oct 18, 2009
    Yep. This is the standard Max Battery test. New MBP battery usually lasts about 7.15-7.50 on idle. You cannot measure the actual battery life acurately, because it really depends on the way you use your PC. From tests, MBP has juice for ~6 hours in reading test (open document/website, half brightness, scrolling down time after time) and 4-6 for standard use (browsing, reading, typing and video (not DVD))

Apple may seem to lie a little about the battery life, on the other hand most other manufacturers lie even about Max Battery life...
  11. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

Oct 25, 2009
    I have seen my battery calculator hit over 10 hours sitting at idle, and I can easily make it through an hour and twenty minute class and still have close to 90% left on my battery. During class, I am usually typing code, reading pdfs or powerpoints, and/or surfing the web (lightly), so while I agree 5 or 6 hours is closer to what is achievable with normal work loads, I think 7 hours is very possible without wifi off and the screen very dim.
  12. Symbolism macrumors newbie

Jan 19, 2010
    I usually get around 6 hours of use a day while I'm on campus at my university taking lecture notes on Word Document, Facebook, etc. with no backlight and 70% screen brightness.

Keep in mind I've only calibrated my battery once or twice in 8 months use with 61 cycles... so my indicator might be a bit wrong (I finally found time to calibrate today over the three day weekend).
  13. tomas4jj macrumors newbie

Feb 13, 2010
    my "airport hardware" has disappeared, wtf?!

All of a sudden on my powerbook g4 the airport has just disappeared, says it can't find any "airport hardware." Wifi gone, i'm writing this with an ethernet cord. What happened? What can I do? Help me . . .
  14. TheNorthWaves thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 13, 2007
    Thread hijack of the CENTURY, haha :D

Thank you all for the replies - keep them coming! Please post your model/processor speed as well, if you know
  15. gazzamac macrumors member

Jan 17, 2010
    My 4 month old mbp lasts around 6 hours light use with backlight at half way.

Very happy with that
  16. michaelfengdayu macrumors member

Jun 22, 2007
    It really depends on how you use it

It really depends on how you use it. The CPU uses 5-45 watt. hard drive 1-3 watt. screen I guess 10 watt at most with LED? I got 7.5 hrs with internet browsing and viewing PDFs. But only 3.5 when watching Youtube no matter how I adjust the screen.
  17. tongrd macrumors newbie

Sep 26, 2009
    I've gotten 9-10 hours out of a 17" MBP, though I do conserve battery :) usually this includes wifi off, lowest brightness and display sleep in 1 minute. Otherwise I think 6 hours with just under half brightness is about right.