Unibody White MB repair service (cracks) Applecare fixed.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by aznguyen316, Jun 9, 2010.

1. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

My GF's Late 2009 "unibody" Whitebook had some odd plastic crack near the magsafe charger, not sure how it got there - it wasn't dropped. Also on the lid itself, on both ends near the hinges the paint was cracking, very subtle, but noticeable. We thought it was plastic cracking but it was actually just paint I guess. Genius said this was an issue on older plastic MB due to flex, but figured it would've been fixed on the new models.

We took it into the Apple Store geniuses, and he said he hadn't seen the hinge paint crack before on the newer plastic MB models so he went ahead and had the MB sent in to repair the cracked plastic near the charger and have the screen assembly replaced where the paint cracking was seen.

Went into the Apple Store on Thursday afternoon, got the MB back in hands on next Tuesday early morning, not bad.

Apple repair replaced the entire screen assembly, the main unibody plastic casing, the keyboard, and logic board (audio issue). The keyboard and logic board was a surprise but whatever. Looked like a brand new computer when it came back but the system was restored to how we had sent it in, no problems there either. Also noticed the logic board was white visible on the ports on the left side, where the magsafe, usb all are.. instead whatever it used to be.

Just wanted to give a heads up for plastic MB owners that Apple is willing to repair any cracks on your MB and this could very well be a future issue as well. Great experience with Apple though!

2. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Theres actually a thread on this forum, about this issue near the hinges. It seems it is hit or miss, but obviously exists. Glad to know Apple is fixing it free, as I have the same MB as your lady, but dont have these problems yet(knock on wood)

3. gtimark macrumors member

Well ... not always! Mine was just returned from AppleCare UNFIXED. When I called for info, I was informed that cracks in the plastic casing other than the palm rest are not repaired. It is assumed that the operator has been careless with the Mac. Hmmmmm. The tech did recommend that I personally take the MacBook into an Apple Store; further stating that I may receive different responses from the techs in that setting.

BTW: the cracks are on the edge of the lower plastic case, just left of the latch area, and just under the palm rest.

4. aznguyen316 thread starter macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

5. altecXP macrumors 65816

It probably WAS a new machine, they most likely just swapped the drive and ram and ID stickers to a new machine.

Did you check the SN before and after?

6. aznguyen316 thread starter macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I did not check SN. Not a big deal, either way she got her system back in top shape, no cracks!

7. PDE macrumors 68020

***Oops, noticed this threat was about the new unibody macbook. Sorry. But it shows that nothing has changed in the past three years in terms of Apple's use of cheap plastic.***

My girlfriend's 2007 macbook has cracks all over the place: around the top edges of the bottom casing (just where the bottom meets the palmrest), the battery release screw, along the exhaust area underneath and other places too. She almost never takes it out with her and treats it VERY gently. Always has. Probably the only reason there are no cracks on the palmrest yet is that she's been using a Moshi palmguard.

Put simply: it's a really crappy quality machine. Luckily she still has applecare, so we're taking it in before we sell it and move on to a new aluminum macbook pro.