iPhone XR Unimpressed with XR battery life. Are my expectations too high?

JBGoode

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2018
Image attached. Brand new phone, bought last week. Very light usage, mainly consisting of listening to music/internet browsing/messaging applications. Have already applied all the typical iOS battery saving tweaks and fixes.

Cheers.
Per the second graph, on Monday/Tuesday you got 8 hours of screen time out of one full charge cycle. It was even better on Wednesday with almost 8 hours on only about 3/4 of a cycle. If that’s not good enough, you’re expecting too much.

mebehere

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Per the second graph, on Monday/Tuesday you got 8 hours of screen time out of one full charge cycle. It was even better on Wednesday with almost 8 hours on only about 3/4 of a cycle. If that’s not good enough, you’re expecting too much.
Mine seems great so far. Time will tell as usual.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68000
Dec 3, 2017
This is about as good as you’re going to get on an iPhone without a battery case. If you need more, I’d definitely pick up an apple smart Battery Case. It adds bulk, but also a good deal more usage.

Apple has standby drain nailed, but they just do not put in the same size batteries as Android phones that are comparable size. The average Android flagship the size of the xr has 3500-4500mah batteries. Android by definition is far less optimized, so they need the extra size. A 4500mah xr would be unbeatable, but it would be too thick for most people and it would never happen.

Reactions: apolloa

bluecoast

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2017
I run my XR mostly on low power mode and the battery life is insane. I actually prefer the slightly dimmed screen in this mode too.

macfacts

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Image attached. Brand new phone, bought last week. Very light usage, mainly consisting of listening to music/internet browsing/messaging applications. Have already applied all the typical iOS battery saving tweaks and fixes.

Cheers.
Apple's website says you should be getting 15 hours if surfing the web.

Davidhedge

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2017
I thought the battery life was great on XR. You want bad battery life then try out the XS lol.

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010

Cheers.
Your battery life is pretty good, apps like Facebook and Messenger aren't very kind to battery life.

I used to think my XR could be a two day phone, if needed, but no, it's not, like every other phone.

someoneoutthere

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2014
The Great Lakes State
I’ve got a few questions before we all start making assumptions. Do you stream/watch content while you’re on WIFI or LTE? How’s your signal strength when (if) you’re on LTE? How bright is your screen? Do you have any of your music/video content already downloaded on the device or are you actually streaming everything? How do you browse the internet? Do you use Safari or third party browsers such as Chrome or Firefox? Do you use any ad-blockers?

Cheers,

apolloa

macrumors G5
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

Cheers.
Yeah I’ve had mine since last year and it’s good, not now where near as good as people would have you believe. Watch a couple of hours of You Tube over WIFi and it’ll drain pretty quick, not to flat but low enough to have to charge it.
I dread to think what the XS is like in comparison!!..

hancuriang

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2019
Some people say it lasts 2 days but you have to keep in mind the time people are not using it like they probably have an ipad or laptop...

That said i cannot read the graph... is mine better?
F3DBEC9C-BBC1-451F-AE7F-EAF885F43E45.jpeg

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Facebook is a battery hog (IMO) if you have it installed, which looks like it is. If you can live without it, try uninstalling it, and use low power mode to see if there is a difference.

I only access Facebook from a windows computer.

omgitsbees

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2013
I am charging my XR once every 2 to 3 days, and this is with the battery getting no where close to drained fully. The battery on this phone is fantastic.

Reactions: bluecoast

Fabmac

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2017
No. It’s not. With this kind of usage XR should get 8-10+ hrs. Which he got most days. Except one day.
If you have 10 screen time a day you have another problem ..... don’t get me wrong but if you have work or need to study or something like a little bit of social live it’s quite hard to get to the 6 hours that can provide the xr

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2018
My XR lasts me a whole day and then some - I’ve had the 3GS, 4, 5, 6, 7+ and this is the first one that can go a full 24 hours in less than ideal conditions (i.e. notifications all day, low signal etc)

Reactions: MacLappy

Lankyman

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2011
U.K.
I love my XR and have absolutely no complaints about battery life. Oh, just for comparison I also own a OnePlus phone, which is a model credited with having just about the best battery life out there. For me the XR is Apple's best smartphone release for some considerable amount of time.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68000
Dec 3, 2017
Apple smart battery case is your best bet. Apple has NEVER made a phone that can compete with the marathon Android phones.