Uninstalled Safari 3... now Safari 2 is so SSLLLOOWWW. Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cutsman, Jun 18, 2007.

1. cutsman macrumors regular

So I know many people have been having issues with Safari 3 (HUGE mistake for Apple to release this... and an even bigger mistake for me to download this). I was one of them so I ran the uninstaller and reverted back to Safari 2.0.4. I haven't had a chance to really use the computer until today, but now pages load very slowly. They hang when i first enter a new url.. then page eventually pops up while loading, and it takes forever for the page to finish loading.

I searched, but wasn't able to find any threads about people having issues AFTER the uninstall....Anyone else having a similar issue?

I REALLY regret installing this.... and I can't believe Apple released safari 3 as a beta in such a state...

2. climhazzard85 macrumors member

climhazzard85

I also had some problems with the Safari beta 3 and went back to 2. I actually ditched both of them and went to Firefox as I got sick of safari crashing on random forums (not macrumors :) ). Anyway all I can recommend is try to delete the safari preferences file(s) and see what happens.

3. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

Safari 3 hasn't caused me any problems; it hasn't even crashed, so I'm still using it. Do you think it may just be because you're used to the speed increase in 3? You could always try reinstalling it via your installation disks.

4. cutsman thread starter macrumors regular

No, it's definitely not that. In fact, I barely even used Safari 3 (certainly nowhere near enough to become acclimated with any sort of speed increase over Safari 2). I pretty much uninstalled Safari 3 after 10 minutes, after realizing it was causing issues with Adium.

The speed (or lack thereof) I'm experiencing now is abnormal and unbearable.

5. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

6. climhazzard85 macrumors member

climhazzard85

Have you tried any other browsers to make sure it is not coincidentally your connection?

7. cutsman thread starter macrumors regular

Ya I compared it with Firefox (which i'm currently using cuz I can't stand how slow Safari is right now). A page that loads in 3 seconds on firefox will take up to 15 seconds to load in Safari.... this is brutal.

8. climhazzard85 macrumors member

climhazzard85

Hmm...did you delete the Safari .plist file? Otherwise...welcome to Firefox? Heh

9. cutsman thread starter macrumors regular

This seems to have solved it! :D Hopefully it's not going to slowdown again.....

Anyways, I used Pacifist to reinstall /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework from the 10.4.9 update.

Back to normal... I will be a lot more wary of dling Betas from Apple from now on. I've never had a beta from another company cause this much harm to my computer.... :mad:

10. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

what harm did it cause? IMO slowing down safari 2 isnt "so much harm" nor is conflicting with adium. Betas have problems because it is impossible to test them with every other program and configuration...that is why they released it. Hopefully you reported any bugs to apple.

11. cutsman thread starter macrumors regular

I believe slowing down Safari 2 to the point where it is rendered virtually unusable (relative to any other browser) is considered "harm". I would imagine that the average mac user would likely either not go through the hassle or not know how to go about resolving the problem on their own (download pacifist, download 10.4.9 update pkg, extract and locate frameworks and install)

I understand that Beta's have problems. And I never once thought Apple was at fault for the incompatibilities between adium and Safari 3. On the other hand, to make the Safari 3 installer overwrite your existing Safari and not provide a means to FULLY restore your previous files is inexcusable, IMO.

BTW, how do i report these bugs?